Is My Kitten A Foodie?

Alice catlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As mentioned before, I have two 14 week old kittens, Nala and Sorry. Nala eats like a normal kitten, but Sorry is a little foodmonster. If she was a human, she would start a YouTube channel and do mukbangs. :D

The kittens always have dry food (Royal Canin kitten) and they also get some wet food 2-3 times a day. We also have 3 adult cats, they also always have their dry food (Royal canin hair and skin), the female is on the smaller side, so she gets wet food whenever she tell us she wants it. The two males are on the chubbier side, so they get smaller portions of wet food two times a day.

All this seems to be working fine, but then there is Sorry. She eats all her food, but she always wants more. Walk to the kitchen, she comes running. Open the fridge, there she is. Sit down to eat, Hello Sorry. Purring, looking and hoping. And she always eats if she gets a little treat. I`ve had old, nutered males who are this into food, but never a kitten. I`m starting to worry my little baby is going to be rolling across the floor soon. :)

So to my question, should I be worried about overfeeding her? Or should she get the food When she wants it?

This is what I’m dealing with:

1A73D92F-0067-4277-A3D3-B32E7E6EE69E.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alice catlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh what a FACE!!! My heart just went flying out the door lol
It is advised to feed kittens as much as they will eat, to help fuel the tremendous growth of all their systems that's going on.
Gracious sakes what a doll!!
Oh, the face gets even worse. Here is a pic taken a few moments later. I was eating, and she had just had her wet food, so she was still waiting for her treat. Look at this:

B6037FB1-2528-4D7F-9B56-0200E5C94490.jpeg

Come on! :D Sad kitten is sad. It looks like I just killed her best friend and told her she would never eat again. So I’m happy to hear it is advised to feed them as much as they will eat, because saying no to this face is hard.

Alice catlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh.my.word.
What a little sweetie!!
Yes, and she’s a smart sweetie too. She’s a bit shy, her sister loves everyone and anything, but Sorry is a bit sceptical. So far I’m her person, and she prefer other humans to not get too close. However, If you a) have food b) are hanging out in the kitchen or c) make a sound that sounds like food, she’ll be your best friend for a while. :D Purring, trying to get close and giving you the face. ;)

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
She may just be growing faster and bigger than your other kitten. My rule is to just feed kittens as much as they will eat. Her ideal adult weight might be much larger than your other kitten and you can’t really say overfeed a kitten since they are growing fast and burning lots of energy.

Alice catlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She may just be growing faster and bigger than your other kitten. My rule is to just feed kittens as much as they will eat. Her ideal adult weight might be much larger than your other kitten and you can’t really say overfeed a kitten since they are growing fast and burning lots of energy.
This was what I was hoping to hear. :) We have to watch our boys weight and diet, so I guess I’m just used to thinking portion controll. Sorry will be very happy tomorrow. :D

Nala will also eat the food, but unlike Sorry she won’t come running like The Flash to get it. She’s more like Oh food! Eat and go back to playing again. And by the time Nala has eaten one bite, Sorry is on number five. So I woulden’t be surprised If Sorry ends up being bigger. :)

Alice catlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
*Passes Sorry a bowl of food and a few treats on the side*

Geeze...that's a hard stare to resist. I felt its' power all the way through the internet!:cutecat:
Thank you! :lol: When I was little I used to love these toys named Sad Sam, the super cute little dog with big, sad eyes. I guess I got the live kitty version. And it’s just the funniest thing that she loves food this much!

:lol: I can't leave this thread, what a fun little feline. I'm so glad she has you!!
She is a little weirdball! :lol: I will keep my camera close, because today she started this new thing. In Norway we have this brown cheese, and I was cutting some for breakfast. Sorry must have liked the smell, because she jumped up on the table, got up on her backlegs and reached out to try to get close to me. She looked like a little wobbly meerkat with her arms out and the sad face. I need to get a picture of that. :lol:

And just for the record, Nala is weird too. But her thing is flowers and herbs. I have one kitten trying to meerkat her way to brown cheese, and one sleeping in a pot of herbs.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I was little I used to love these toys named Sad Sam, the super cute little dog with big, sad eyes.
That is so funny that you said that! The first image that popped into my head was of a Beanie Baby Basset Hound "Tracker" that my son carried around for most of his childhood. He called it "Fuzzy Baby" and it's quite similar to Sad Sam!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, the face gets even worse. Here is a pic taken a few moments later. I was eating, and she had just had her wet food, so she was still waiting for her treat. Look at this:

View attachment 242513

Come on! :D Sad kitten is sad. It looks like I just killed her best friend and told her she would never eat again. So I’m happy to hear it is advised to feed them as much as they will eat, because saying no to this face is hard.
Well, I just died of cuteness.
Bury me in a pile of kittens please.
:biggrin:

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness :loveeyes: Your kittens are beyond adorable. One of mine has that sad look going on too so I feel your pain lol.
My boy was just like yours when he was a kitten. He just couldn’t get enough food. He would plow through 16 plus ounces of wet food per day. It was crazy. In the beginning I thought he was just a foodie but it turns out he really did need all that food to grow into a big cat. He is a big 13 pound plus cat now and still eats quite a bit. So yes I agree with others he should eat all he wants and not be limited. Enjoy your adorable babies. :redheartpump::hearthrob:

Alice catlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is so funny that you said that! The first image that popped into my head was of a Beanie Baby Basset Hound "Tracker" that my son carried around for most of his childhood. He called it "Fuzzy Baby" and it's quite similar to Sad Sam!
Oh wow, they really do look alike! And they both remind me of Sorry-cat! :lol:

Oh my goodness :loveeyes: Your kittens are beyond adorable. One of mine has that sad look going on too so I feel your pain lol.
My boy was just like yours when he was a kitten. He just couldn’t get enough food. He would plow through 16 plus ounces of wet food per day. It was crazy. In the beginning I thought he was just a foodie but it turns out he really did need all that food to grow into a big cat. He is a big 13 pound plus cat now and still eats quite a bit. So yes I agree with others he should eat all he wants and not be limited. Enjoy your adorable babies. :redheartpump::hearthrob:
I’m glad to hear that I’m not alone in this pain! :lol: I’m starting to thing she’ll end up being a big girl.

Alice catlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have made our guesteoom into a kittenroom, and they spend the night there, to give the older cats some time to chill. I’ve ended up sleeping in the guestroom too, because they’ll cry and cry if they’re alone. So this morning started with Sorry trying to kill my foot. I’ve figured out that’s her way of telling me it’s time for breakfast. I try to eat at the same time as them, thinking I might get my food to myself. But oh no! As soon as Sorry could smell the goatcheese, she came running like a little horse, and I have to eat standing up. :lol: At the moment we are letting Nala have some time with the herbs, and Sorry did her meerkatt-thing again. Turns out it’s not just for food, but also for looking at crying human babies.

9986BF3E-D855-4553-860F-8ADC82361783.jpeg