Is my cat rejecting her kittens?

bryan___29

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat gave birth to 3 kittens 6 days ago and one of them hasent been getting the attention it needs. But heres the thing,my mom cant help herself when she around them and me and my dad tell her to stop picking them up but the kitten has snezzed multiple times when im around them. Today I had to put it on the mom cats nipple so it can feed and she didnt look to happy. So is it because of the loss of scent or because it may be sick?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens should not be handled any more than necessary the first 3 weeks. Is the kitten nursing and gaining weight? Kittens need to gain 6-10 grams daily and should be weighed each day on a kitchen scale that weighs in grams. If the kitten is sneezing it may be getting a cold. Or it could just be dust or pollen. Leave mother cat and babies alone as much as possible for now. Mother cats do not like their babies handled early on.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At this early point it's best to have mom and kits in a quiet, out of the way spot without foot traffic and noise as much as possible a closet floor is great. When there is too much activity mom will not feel comfortable and stress, may even try moving them.
There should only be 1 person checking on them, maybe 3 times a day, food and fresh water, clean bedding for them, and checking weight.
When there's question whether mom is caring for them properly then weighing is crucial for survival.
Set it on grams and weigh same time each day. If there is not at least 6-8 grams gained every day then kittens need human intervention and be supplemented with KMR and a 1.0 ml needle-less syringe.
If this happens come back here and we will give you how-to directions

By about week 3 they are ready for more human interactions but for the first 2 weeks at least keep it on the less is more side.