Is my cat pregnant?

Rose94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve had her since she was 9 days old she is now 14 months her vet wouldn’t spay her until 6 months well around that time I broke my knee and lost my job since she is a strictly indoor cat I thought postponing getting her fixed wouldn’t be a big issue well 2 weeks ago she got out for about 18 hours she was in a bush across the street for what I assume the entire time but since getting home she’s been grooming a lot and eating more so I thought with the over grooming she may have been in contact with fleas so I medicated her for that and basically assumed the shedding was either due to the grooming/medicine or losing her winter coat but today I noticed her nipples seem to be changing in color

Attachments

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Best way to know for sure is taking her to the vet. Ultrasounds aren't the cheapest but otherwise you're just waiting around to see and in the meantime she could sneak out again. It could be a good idea to search out a cost-effective vet too. In a lot of cities there are groups that do very inexpensive spays/neuters and some vets that do things on a sliding scale. Obviously that isn't ideal if you love and trust your vet, but getting your pet the care and procedures they need is sometimes more important. I did that for a dental cleaning since those can be pricey too.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your cat is very likely pregnant. If you search for low-cost spay services in your area you may be able to get her spayed now, which would terminate any pregnancy before it proceeds further. Raising a litter of kittens is expensive (food, litter, vet care), and mom will still need spaying. Perhaps ask a relative for help or a loan?