Is my cat pregnant?

Sordidpills

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can someone please share their thoughts whether my cat is expecting or not? I’m quite not sure if this is what they call “pinking up”. I have already tried to talk to several veterinary clinics with ultrasound facility and was all advised that the cat should be at least 35 days from the time they mated for ultrasound to detect heartbeat/s. My cats started mating April 9 and they’ve been at it for 5-6 days, so if my counting is correct, she’s three-four weeks pregnant.

My two cats both turned a year and a month old on March. They were scheduled to be spayed/neutered April 5 but sadly, this didn’t happen since I had to be quarantined for COVID-19 and just got cleared yesterday.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Intact male and female cats who are together will almost always produce a pregnancy, so you can count on her having kittens. Cats begin to show around the fifth week, and pregnancy runs 63-68 days on average. An ultrasound, or later an x-ray, can usually confirm how many kittens and give an estimated gestational age - although you seem to know when her last heat cycle was in April, so count forward from Day 1 of the mating.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say her nipples look like she's pregnant, yes.

What are your plans for if she is pregnant?

Can you get the male neutered very soon? Female cats can get pregnant soon after giving birth, and sperm may hide in the tubes for a few weeks after neutering, so it's best to have him done as soon as you can get him in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sordidpills

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd say her nipples look like she's pregnant, yes.

What are your plans for if she is pregnant?

Can you get the male neutered very soon? Female cats can get pregnant soon after giving birth, and sperm may hide in the tubes for a few weeks after neutering, so it's best to have him done as soon as you can get him in.
Thank you for your reply! We’d def keep the kitten/s should she be pregnant. Our vet talked to us about this possibility and said she’ll help us prepare should it be the case, pre and post-pregnancy. We have already scheduled the male cat to be neutered this coming Friday.

While I was on quarantine, I managed to create a room for the female cat that’s gonna separate her from the male cat and also for her privacy, and her kitten/s should she be really pregnant. Just really curious if what’s seen on the photos I shared is what “pinking up” looks like.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sordidpills

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, that looks like “pinking.”
Thank you! Have you ever tried sending your cat for ultrasound? Got confused cos I thought by the third week, it can already be done. Apparently not, just yet.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It can be done by the third week, but things are more clear as time goes on. Your vet clearly prefers or has had better experience with waiting a bit longer.