Is my cat pregnant?

Sordidpills

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can someone please share their thoughts whether my cat is expecting or not? I’m quite not sure if this is what they call “pinking up”. I have already tried to talk to several veterinary clinics with ultrasound facility and was all advised that the cat should be at least 35 days from the time they mated for ultrasound to detect heartbeat/s. My cats started mating April 9 and they’ve been at it for 5-6 days, so if my counting is correct, she’s three-four weeks pregnant.

My two cats both turned a year and a month old on March. They were scheduled to be spayed/neutered April 5 but sadly, this didn’t happen since I had to be quarantined for COVID-19 and just got cleared yesterday.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Intact male and female cats who are together will almost always produce a pregnancy, so you can count on her having kittens. Cats begin to show around the fifth week, and pregnancy runs 63-68 days on average. An ultrasound, or later an x-ray, can usually confirm how many kittens and give an estimated gestational age - although you seem to know when her last heat cycle was in April, so count forward from Day 1 of the mating.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say her nipples look like she's pregnant, yes.

What are your plans for if she is pregnant?

Can you get the male neutered very soon? Female cats can get pregnant soon after giving birth, and sperm may hide in the tubes for a few weeks after neutering, so it's best to have him done as soon as you can get him in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sordidpills

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd say her nipples look like she's pregnant, yes.

What are your plans for if she is pregnant?

Can you get the male neutered very soon? Female cats can get pregnant soon after giving birth, and sperm may hide in the tubes for a few weeks after neutering, so it's best to have him done as soon as you can get him in.
Thank you for your reply! We’d def keep the kitten/s should she be pregnant. Our vet talked to us about this possibility and said she’ll help us prepare should it be the case, pre and post-pregnancy. We have already scheduled the male cat to be neutered this coming Friday.

While I was on quarantine, I managed to create a room for the female cat that’s gonna separate her from the male cat and also for her privacy, and her kitten/s should she be really pregnant. Just really curious if what’s seen on the photos I shared is what “pinking up” looks like.

Sordidpills

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, that looks like “pinking.”
Thank you! Have you ever tried sending your cat for ultrasound? Got confused cos I thought by the third week, it can already be done. Apparently not, just yet.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It can be done by the third week, but things are more clear as time goes on. Your vet clearly prefers or has had better experience with waiting a bit longer.

Sordidpills

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Would just like to thank you all for your responses. I brought Airi to the vet for ultrasound and per the vet’s estimate, she’s carrying two kittens. She also said that she might give birth by next week, which I think is quite early given the stud phase occurred April 9-13 which means she’s only on her 39-43 days pregnant.

Nonetheless, we’ve already prepared a room for her to explore the best spot to give birth. We’re really excited and would only want nothing but the best and safe way of delivery. If you have any recommendations on what needs to be done during labour, do let me know.

Here are the photos during her ultrasound. It was an emotional moment for me because we just rescued her from her previous owner who could no longer feed her and now she’s offering blessings to our family.
10C3F482-2084-4E3E-80DF-2173F74B778C.jpeg
807FEB60-B7AE-4081-9EF9-3CB33139329B.jpeg
EE1FC649-1018-47B1-9A53-0F97727BD2A1.jpeg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Sordidpills

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I am just wondering, cos she was supposed to have given birth by now if the mating started on April 9(they stopped mating April 13, iirc cos I was just in my room quarantining)We brought her to the vet two weeks ago for an xray and we were told that the kittens are really big and healthy. They also estimated the delivery Thursday or Friday last week.

However, to this day, she hasn’t given birth yet. I could see and feel the contractions from her belly. She still eats a lot and all she does is lie down on a flat surface. Nothing unusual except I expected that she’d delivered by now. She rarely explores for nesting too. She just stays in one spot, in my bathroom.

The vets said I shouldn’t worry too much about her pregnancy bec they can take it but I just couldn’t help but worry.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Call your vet today. They may need to induce labor. It’s best to get her checked, although she is due any day now depending on when she conceived.

Sordidpills

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello there!

Just wanna give you guys an update that Airi gave birth to 5 healthy kittens. We’ll bring her to the vet tomorrow for checkup and also to spay her. Thank you so much for all your help!
5862F317-55D4-4FC9-B449-23000D2D6892.jpeg
DF9B6BD1-5618-498D-86F5-3DF084837EC1.jpeg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Awesome! 👍

There is no need to get mama checked at the vet right now unless she is having problems. Now that she’s had the kittens, she needs to stay put and nurse. She and the kittens would be due at the vet when the kittens are 8 weeks old. That’s also when Mom gets spayed. It’s not appropriate to spay until the kittens wean. 😊

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lovely babies! 😍

Unless something is wrong, it's best not to separate her from the kittens or bring them into public where they could be exposed to a virus or bacteria. So no hurry on the vet visit. Plus she shouldn't be spayed until the babies don't need to nurse anymore (it can be done earlier in an emergency but it's not ideal). If you can't keep her away from intact males until then, ask the vet about options.

Also, it's best for the kittens if you can keep them with their mother and littermates until they're 12-14 weeks old. Even if she stops nursing them before that, they need to learn their kitty lessons before they go to new homes :D.

Has the daddy cat been neutered yet? Keep in mind that he can have sperm hiding in the tubes for a while after neutering, and she could still get pregnant that way, so don't let him near her until a few weeks after he's neutered. If it hasn't been done yet, now would be a good time; he shouldn't be around the kittens until they're older anyway.

Last edited:

Sordidpills

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh! Thanks for this! Really really helpful! You guys made this journey very memorable to us.
Was honestly surprised she gave birth to 5 seemingly large kittens. The vet’s estimate during ultrasound and xray was only 2-3. But they did say it could be more since they looked like they were hugging each other.

Just worried about the runt in the bunch.
4C66CD47-D07D-4141-AD60-70C9FB597349.jpeg
4C66CD47-D07D-4141-AD60-70C9FB597349.jpeg

Sordidpills

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lovely babies! 😍

Unless something is wrong, it's best not to separate her from the kittens or bring them into public where they could be exposed to a virus or bacteria. So no hurry on the vet visit. Plus she shouldn't be spayed until the babies don't need to nurse anymore (it can be done earlier in an emergency but it's not ideal). If you can't keep her away from intact males until then, ask the vet about options.

Also, it's best for the kittens if you can keep them with their mother and littermates until they're 12-14 weeks old. Even if she stops nursing them before that, they need to learn their kitty lessons before they go to new homes :D.

Has the daddy cat been neutered yet? Keep in mind that he can have sperm hiding in the tubes for a while after neutering, and she could still get pregnant that way, so don't let him near her until a few weeks after he's neutered. If it hasn't been done yet, now would be a good time; he shouldn't be around the kittens until they're older anyway.
Thanks for this great tip, too! They’re just in my room under the closet. She chose to give birth there over other options and boxes we’ve made for her. We just set up a heat lamp to give the kittens extra warmth. :)

The daddy has already been neutered a week or two ago but we still keep him outside the room just to be sure.

thank you very much for all the help! It was such an amazing experience and I’m super glad my momcat and kittens are health.

also, dumb question…. I’ve seen a browish(pooped like) discharge from one of the kittens bum, is it an actual poop? Lol

Sordidpills

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A841392D-FBA8-4849-8EF2-58CBC3B98B28.jpeg

This is the runt in the litter. He’s too small and seems to prefer to just sleep instead of feed. I kept putting it to the teat of momcat but it seems uninterested to feed or probably too weak. Since it doesn’t seem to get enough nourishment, I gave it 2.5ml of pet milk through syringe. I figured I should syringe feed it every three hours. He’s strong enough to let out loud cries but I really want this one to survive. Every after feeding, I’d put it back to the momcat to see if it would have more energy to feed himself.

rushed the momcat to the vet yesterday because she wouldn’t stop panting. Wanted to make sure that her tummy is clear, she’ll well except she might have had hypocalcemia. I started her with Nutrical twice a day. I mentioned the runt to the vet and she only said I need to monitor and help it get the nourishment it needs by separating it from the bigger kittens.

I don’t know what else to do other than those things but I really want it to survive.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
See that your mom cat gets a couple of dishes a day of kitten formula. She needs the calcium.

Feed the runt every 1-2 hours around the clock until it gets strong enough to nurse mom and puts on some weight. Wake the kitten to feed so it does not miss a feeding! Three hours between feedings is too long for a tiny kitten. This is tiring for you but a labor of love to save its life!

What does this baby weigh? It needs to gain at least 6 grams per day. Make sure the kitten stays warm between feedings with a heating pad set on low under the blanket or a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel and placed nearby.

Here’s a helpful syringe feeding video:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady