Is My Cat Pregnant?

dbWhiz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is my cat pregnant? I heard when their nipples start to redden it’s a sign that your cat may be pregnant, when we first got her, a month or two ago the woman said she may be pregnant but the time we had her we didn’t see any signs like morning sickness, her tummy getting bigger, red nipples etc but now her nipples seem red, she’s not getting fat but her tummy seems a bit saggy and when I touched her tummy she shook it a bit, but I have been noticing things she hasn’t been doing before, I’m not sure if they are related to her may be being pregnant but she seems to like rolling in coal dust and hiding under our hot range and sleeps under there because it’s warm, she also sits in front of the fire for hours and she gets really hot but she doesn’t seem to care. So does anyone think she’s pregnant? We would take her to the vets to see but it’s too expensive. Thanks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dbWhiz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here’s the picture, they don’t seem very red in the picture but they are quite red

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is not spayed and has been around intact males, she is most likely pregnant. Please keep her inside now.

dbWhiz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If she is not spayed and has been around intact males, she is most likely pregnant. Please keep her inside now.
Since we have had her (3 months) she doesn't seem to have put on any weight, she has been going out side now for about 3/4 weeks but if she did find a male she would hardly have red nipples by now right?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh yes she would. Nipples pink up at about the three-week mark.

You can have her spayed now if you don't want kittens.

Otherwise, do not allow her outside at all anymore until after she is spayed.

dbWhiz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh yes she would. Nipples pink up at about the three-week mark.

You can have her spayed now if you don't want kittens.

Otherwise, do not allow her outside at all anymore until after she is spayed.
Ok, do cats have to come on heat before they can have kittens? I didn't mention but she's 7mnths old so is it still possible she's pregnant?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, you won’t nevessarily notice a heat. They also don’t need to be in heat to get pregnant as the act of mating causes ovulation.

She’s quite young. Getting her spayed now would be the best thing for her.

dbWhiz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, you won’t nevessarily notice a heat. They also don’t need to be in heat to get pregnant as the act of mating causes ovulation.

She’s quite young. Getting her spayed now would be the best thing for her.[/QUOTE

We don't really want to get her spayed because we were going to use her to breed a couple of litters then we were going to spay her as she is a pedigree cat.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She will have back to back litters if you do not spay her and she continues to go outside. It is very unhealthy for cats to have litter after litter.

Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats

Do you need help finding a low-cost spay clinic?

What will you do with all her kittens? It gets very expensive to care for them.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn’t matter if she’s a pedigree cat if you’re allowing her to mate with any male cat that finds her outside. This is not responsible cat ownership, and not fair to your girl.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want purebred kittens you can't let her go outside. Any and every male will get to her and you would never know who the father is unless you do a DNA test. So registration of the kittens would be in question. Basically: if you want to let her out she needs to be spayed, if you want to breed purebreds she can't be allowed out. You can't have both.

Cats can get pregnant as young as 4 months, and you don't necessarily notice that she's in heat before a male gets to her (they know before you do!). And, yes, even if she's not in heat she can still get pregnant if a male forces himself on her, as cats are induced ovulators.

She probably is pregnant. Probably found a tom the first day you let her out, so if that was 3-4 weeks ago you can have a pretty good idea of how far along she is.

dbWhiz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you want purebred kittens you can't let her go outside. Any and every male will get to her and you would never know who the father is unless you do a DNA test. So registration of the kittens would be in question. Basically: if you want to let her out she needs to be spayed, if you want to breed purebreds she can't be allowed out. You can't have both.

Cats can get pregnant as young as 4 months, and you don't necessarily notice that she's in heat before a male gets to her (they know before you do!). And, yes, even if she's not in heat she can still get pregnant if a male forces himself on her, as cats are induced ovulators.

She probably is pregnant. Probably found a tom the first day you let her out, so if that was 3-4 weeks ago you can have a pretty good idea of how far along she is.

Even though it seems her nipples are “Pinking up” and what you guys are saying is convincing and sounds like she could be pregnant, I’m still not sure if she is, she hates other cats and the only kitty friends she has are my other 2 cats so if she did see an unneutered male or vice versa I’m still not sure if she would let him mate with her (she would put up a huge fight!) And I understand everything you guys are saying, I totally do. And if we are gonna use her as a breeding cat we would only breed her 2 or 3 times, so I think it would be ok.

dbWhiz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She will have back to back litters if you do not spay her and she continues to go outside. It is very unhealthy for cats to have litter after litter.

We used to foster kittens for our local vet clinic as they used to be full a lot so we know how to care for tiny little kittens, as of price for caring for them, it will be ok, we would put the kittens up for adoption and make sure they go to the right homes, we may even keep some ourself:catlove:

dbWhiz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

We used to foster kittens for our local vet clinic as they used to be full a lot so we know how to care for tiny little kittens, as of price for caring for them, it will be ok, we would put the kittens up for adoption and make sure they go to the right homes, we may even keep some ourself:catlove:

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
She definitely looks pregnant. And letting her go outside unspayed almost guarantees it. Have you ever seen cats mating? The girl most certainly does NOT enjoy it. So it is not a matter of her "letting a male mate with her" If a male is present he is going to. Please get her spayed now. There is a LOT that goes into responsible breeding. You definitely cannot let her out again until she is spayed.