Is my cat pregnant ?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Was thinking to wait a week or 2 and put molly and kitten in dining room . More room to roam and meet people but at a distance. Safty gates will be in place and monitor during day and when out and asleep door will be shut . Going to give them 4 days to settle once moved . And then high monitor with door open .depending on molly and kittens . Also I've been weighing kittens everyday for the last 2 weeks do I need to continue this now ? Kittens and molly doing fab
The weighitng is most important in the beginning, or if they are in any crisis, or you think there is danger for a crisis.   In many situations the weighing is invaluable.

But when they are about 3 weeks and apparently in good health, its common owners take it more easy with weighting, doing it perhaps twice a week, or even once a week...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I would advise to let Molly decide when to move the kittens again. When she starts bringing the kittens out of the hiding places then allowing them into the dining room or other rooms in the house. You are going to have to watch as the kittens will not know that the litter box is the place to potty when they start exploring the house is when Molly will not be cleaning up after them as they will start eating solid food at about 5 to 6 weeks but as they start roaming they will have accidents and you need to watch them and introduce the litter box when they start pooping on the floor on their own. If you can find a low level box as they will not be able to climb into the big box yet.

The hot pad can be placed at one end of the bed and if you see the kittens staying away from the pad then they are starting to regulate their own temp. I believe about 4 weeks is when they should not need the hot pad but let's ask @catwoman707and @StefanZ
Correct, there about. 

Of course, if the room is chilly or something, it may be wise to have some warmth source anyway...  You would do it with an adult cat too.  For giving the cat pure pleasure, if nothing else.

But its not longer strictly necessary, true.   :)

Good post again, Kstonya.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

metcalfe1987

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello wonder if I can get some advice pls . Mollys kittens are 4 weeks old today just wondering when should I start litter training and kitten food pls and how . Molly and kittens are still in my draw . And molly eats in wardrobe and does her litter tray down stairs x any advice would be great thank you

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Anytime now really. They probably won't be very good at eating or using the litter pan in the beginning, but you may as well start. They usually learn quickly. Advice is generally to begin around 4 to 5 weeks with both, and once they are eating more than just mom's milk, they definitely need the litter tray! They get better and better with both every day going forward. :)

PS: Be sure to start with a kitten-sized pan! Put them in the pan after every meal.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You may want to start with mush. Mix formula into kitten chow to soften, or into wet kitten food so it's even mushier. Then over time you can reduce the formula and put it on the side in a dish for them to drink. Young kittens actually manage kitten chow pretty well.

If they don't take to your offering, sit on the floor with them and see if they'll lick it off your finger as an introduction. Or smear a bit on their lips. Be prepared for messiness and a cloth to wipe their little faces! :) But they will catch on!

kstonya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If the kittens are leaving the nest then you can look at litter training. If Molly is still keeping the kittens in the drawer then she should be cleaning up after them. As advised when the kittens start eating on their own then they need the litter pan. Find one that is low to the ground so the kittens can crawl into it. you might have to cut a box down to their size as a regular litter pan is to tall for them right now. The best way to train them is when you see them start squatting then quickly place them in the litter pan. Also after feeding place them in the litter pan. In order to start training them to eat solid food you can mash the food and put a small amount on your finger and see if the kitten will lick it off. When they do then lead the kitten with your finger to a plate with the food. Molly will try and keep the kittens corralled so expect that if you take them from the nest that she will "steal" them back.

metcalfe1987

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kittens are doing really well she moved them to under my bed Gain so have cleared and they have been happy for the past few days . One is eatting wet kitten food not mushed .and ones trying to use litter try . They are eatting the litter though ??? Molly has always used litter tray down stairs even though always one up stairs so have removed down stairs one to encourage upstairs one . When can I get molly spayed pls ? I don't let her out but I know she really wants to go out again

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your kittens were born on May 7th, so they will only be 5 weeks old on Thursday this week. Still young and not really eating on their own yet, though I'm sure it will be soon since you said one has started. I would wait until the kittens are 8 weeks old. She may go into heat before then, and will need to be kept in during that anyway. I know it's hard when the cat is begging to go out, but it is much better to wait.

PS: Discourage them from eating the litter!

Last edited:

kstonya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
you can check with your vet that will spay Molly and they will let you know when they will spay following a litter. I know the vets do not like spaying when the cat is in heat but as long as she has not been out they will make a determination as to when you can get her fixed. The kittens probably are testing the litter just like a human baby puts everything in their mouths. That is why you need to baby proof the house anything that can be broken up and swallowed the kittens can chock on. On of the ways I have taught my kittens and cats about doing something they should not is tap the paw if they are using their claws and scratching or tapping their nose when they are eating the litter. Also you need to keep the litter extra clean and try using non toxic litter. As for litter you can use paper in the litter box until they learn not the eat it. another option is using dirt that has not been chemically treated.

The kittens will start eating as they get ready so if one has started self feeding then the others will follow.

metcalfe1987

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just an update .molly and the kittens are doing fantastic . Just one of the kittens won't eat kitten food . I've tried everything mixing with formula and mushing sitting with him and still will only drink formula from a bowl . Also the hard design to re home is looming and it's breaking my heart [emoji]128546[/emoji] . I'm such a softy and want to keep them but deep down we can't afford more cats . If I keep them all ill have 6 . It's breaking us money wise no and yes I know it's my own fault as didn't get molly spayed sooner. Just don't know what to do for the best .We've got so attached to them [emoji]128546[/emoji] feeling torn

metcalfe1987

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kitten weigh in update
Kitten 1 - 1 lb 6.0 oz
Kitten 2 - 1 lb 6.6 oz
Kitten 3 - 1 lb 9.2 oz

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are doing great! I believe if I have calculated properly that your kittens will only be 6 weeks old on Thursday. A little young yet to be given away. They need to be a minimum of 8 weeks old, and preferably 12, to give them time to fully wean and learn social skills from mama. Also not surprising you have one who is not eating well yet on his own. It is a skill that develops, and he should pick it up over the next couple of weeks.

It's great you have bonded with them. They need to be handled by humans and become comfortable. It is very hard to give them away! It is easier if you find the good, forever homes yourself, and know where they are going.

And it is an expense and a commitment to keep them. I took in a very sweet pregnant stray who delivered 4 kittens in March. I made the decision to keep all of them along with mama. All five have been fixed, and the kittens are now 13 weeks old. The private vet spayed mama, and I took the kittens to the Humane Society for shots and spay/neuter. I had originally planned to keep mom and 2 kittens, but as time wore on, I could not part with any of them. So I now have 5. My decision was made easier after I had to put my elderly cat down in April. She was the last of 6 cats I had enjoyed over the last 25 years. I'm comfortable with my decision. I tell this story so you know you are not alone in your feelings!

Have you contacted your local Humane Society to learn the cost of their services? They are much cheaper than a private vet.

Enjoy your kittens! :)

kstonya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have a spay neuter group that does the surgeries at reduced prices here and I would look in you area for a similar group. I have been given several fostered animals and I have had a hard time parting with them so you are not alone in the feelings of placing these kittens in some one else's care. For many of us it becomes not only a caring for the kittens by placing them in a forever home but the fact that the finances for yourself prohibits keeping all of them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They have a way of doing that! Great pictures! Enjoy the kittens! Mama is very pretty too!

Last edited: