Is my cat peeing on the carpet????

filomali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure. But I suspected. I have kids too so they might have spilled something.
So there is a wet spot on the carpet, I cleaned it up last night, and this morning instead of being dryer, the wet spot seemed to have spread (like there is another wet spot right beside the first one). I'm starting to suspect one of my cats might have peed there, totally gross me out.

Background: two 13 year old cats, I adopted a 2 year old 2 weeks ago and just in the past 2 days trying to let the cats mingle. Which I thought went pretty well, some hissings but for the most part I thought it went well.

So what can I do to stop the peeing behavior (if it indeed is pee on that floor?)

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
First, you can go to a pet supply store and purchase a black light. If the spot "glows," then you know you have urine.

Next, you need to clean the area with a good enzymatic cleaner (Nature's Miracle makes one.) This can also be bought at a pet supply store. Follow directions on the bottle.

I would keep an eye on all the cats as stress can lead to health issues (like a UTI.) If you can figure out which cat is peering outside the box, take them to the vet for a check and a urinalysis.

How many litter boxes do you have? How frequently do you clean them?

Your 2 13 yr olds are also reaching the age where diabetes, hyperthyroid disease, chronic renal disease and other issues can be more likely to develop. If these kitties haven't yet had a full senior blood panel (complete with T4) check, best to get that done so you have a baseline.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stress does cause a cat to urinate outside the box, hopefully once everyone settles down it will quit. Make sure the newcomer has a place to go that won't be 'ambushed' by the others (and vice versa) Black lights are wonderful, but remember they read any kind of 'protein' and if your kids had a drink with that in it it would read it too. Look around your stove on the walls, that is how I found it out, GROSS! Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

filomali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What's around the stove and on the wall? Cat pee or protein?

We are thinking maybe not, the wet spot kind of spreading. Maybe a broken pipe under the house or something? I'm not sure but at this point we are monitoring it.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL  I hope I don't have cat pee around my stove!!!! But it is gross whatever it is! It just has the chemical makeup of pee so a blacklight shows it up, I'm not positive, but I THINK it's protein.