Is My Cat A “munchkin” Cat?

ap_phonehome

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Genuinely curious, we rescued a kitten in July at 12 weeks. She looked pretty typical then, however she is seven months old now and we are wondering if she is indeed a munchkin. Her legs are so short, she looks a bit like a wiener dog. She can’t straight jump on window sills or counters like our other cat did at that age. She is spayed and we love her so it doesn’t matter, but just wondered your thoughts.

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd say no.

Munckin is a specific breed of cat developed to display dwarfism more than the general cat population. But dwarfism and shorter legs are seen in the general cat population. Having shorter legs does not mean a cat is related to the Munchkin breed. While your cats legs do look shorter it could also be that she is overweight and it makes them appear even shorter.

I think it's a combination of your other cat being long legged, her being short legged, and being overweight. The three factors make her legs appear even shorter then they are. But I would say the chances of it being because of a specific breed is highly unlikely.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ap_phonehome

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is definitely overweight. She eats her sisters food and was in full on Goodyear blimp phase after our vacation. Thanks for your thoughts! Will cut down her food and see if her legs grow :lol: