Is Lifegold A Legitimate Supplement?

BluenIsaacBoys

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

My 19 1/2 year old kitty, Blue, was sadly diagnosed with cancer this week. He has two tumors, one on his chest and one in his spleen. I'm heartbroken. He also has diabetes and kidney disease, which are being managed. My vet has put him on Prednisolone, started today.

The reason I am posting is that I have seen a product, LifeGold immune support for cats, online. It gets amazing reviews. However, amidst probably 50 good reviews, I ran across a couple on Amazon that have been rather disturbing in regards to side effects people have experienced with their cats. I can't imagine that the product would cause these things to happen, as the ingredients are all natural, but feel like I can never be too careful.

Just wanted to see if anyone on here has tried the product, and if it is worth all the hype it seems to receive. Here is a link to the product and the company's website. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Life Gold - Cat Cancer Support - PetWellBeing.com

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before using any herbal supplement, check with your vet to make sure it won't interact with the prednisolone.
I can't imagine that the product would cause these things to happen, as the ingredients are all natural,
There are plenty of all natural things that will kill you dead. Natural doesn't always mean safe!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've seen a lot of scary stories with supplements. As said above, natural doesn't mean safe and the supplement industry in general isn't regulated as tightly as people may think. Just today I read a story about a guy who OD'd on caffeine from a caffeine powder he added to his protein shake.

That said, I use full spectrum CBD (from a marijuana dispensary since that is legal where I am and the dispensary has testing requirements). To me, CBD has a long history and there are early studies into it. I know human cancer patients use it as an anti-inflammatory and pain reliever. I use it for my cat with arthritis with great effect and no side effects. You just have to do your research and find a truly reputable company with full spectrum grown and processed not in China. I understand the pain of cancer, my rainbow kitty passed from it as well 15 years ago, so I know trying anything to help is better then nothing. If you want to try a herbal or holistic treatment I would recommend finding a local holistic vet who can help you pick out the one that trust for your situation.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi again!

It saddens me to read this, particularly because of all your other challenges with Blue. Stay with us as you make this new journey.

I haven't used that. That manufacturer also has an item for kidney disease, and here's a reputable reference for you about it: Kidney Support Gold.

That might give you some sense of reasonable concerns for consideration about products like this. It upsets me to no end to see these things showcased to folks when they are at their most vulnerable. I skimmed the first few "reviews" and I just had to get away.

To sum up, I' want to know whether/not the ingredients are safe for cats and about any potential interactions with the pred and any other meds. Kieka Kieka just mentioned a consult with an holistic Vet - that's sound advice.

Now, there are ~50 mentions of this on TCS.....here you are: Search Results for "Life Gold"

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no experience with that company or that product.

I do have lots of experience (although just the one cat) with Vitality Science. They got Krista through the worst of IBD and pancreatitis without the use of steroids. For that, I’m amazed and grateful. Their Pet Flora is still my favorite probiotic.

They don’t claim to cure cancer. But they do give you a hand in the fight with their immunity restoration protocol. Here’s a blog link on the subject.

A fighting chance in the war on cancer. | Vitality Science

They have excellent customer service, usually returning calls or emails within 24 hours. They’re knowledgeable too. While they shouldn’t replace your vet, they can probably tell you whether any of their products interact with the prednislone. Their CBD might. CBD is safe on its own but it is not without drug interactions. Ask them about combining CBD and pred (steroids) before you buy CBD from them or anyone else.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BluenIsaacBoys

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for the suggestions! My main concern is I don't want any of these supplements to interact negatively with Prednisolone, so I will definitely check in with a vet first.

White Shadow, it means so much that you remembered Blue from the last time I posted about his health concerns! I feel so fortunate to have gotten so much more time with him and am hoping beyond hope that he can get some more quality time with steroids and other treatments.

As a side note, does anyone have experience using Metamucil or Miralax for constipated kitties?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, Metamucil and Miralax are two very different things.....

On Miralax:

I need to use Miralax daily for my two remaining ~15 year-olds.....who eat nothing other than canned foods.

First, a reliable reference for you on Miralax, actually two short reads, the first in a context of relieving an immediate situation; the second speaks about using Miralax on an ongoing basis for prevention of constipation:
  1. Acute Treatment - Osmotic Laxatives
  2. Prevention
That website is worth its weight in gold.....if you're pressed for time, you could start with the "What Goes Wrong" section, but really, for a real understanding of the digestive system, even an overview/skim of the whole 'course' is really helpful.

Anyways, here's the homepage: Feline Constipation Home Page

I've never used Metamucil. It is psyllium, which is a 'functional' fiber (as opposed to a dietary fiber) (and, while it is used, a dietary fiber is best for cats). There's an excellent coverage of fiber here: Prevention - Fiber

Do you want to lay out the 'why' behind your Metamucil-Miralax question or just read a bit?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
There are a lot of herbal supplements on the market for the desperate of any species. Herbs cure nothing, at least not that we know of right now, although many are studied by cancer researchers and some of the major cancer centers. I have seen astralagus and ginger listed on human cancer websites as immune support, but definitely not a cure. The other ingredients I have never read about in connection with cancer treatment. However, this leaves you with the concern, as has been mentioned, that the cat may have a reaction to the supplement. I am not trying to talk you out of this if you feel it is your only hope, but as a cancer survivor I find the "herbs will save you" a little weak.

My vet was against CBD oil until the last time I saw her, which was two days ago. She feels that she has now found research to support it for pain relief and is going to recommend it for my dog. As was said, by organic and pure....it is a highly polluted crop which is full of pesticides if you are not careful, just like soybeans. City of Hope uses it for pain relief with cancer patients.

I am sure that this is the same company that makes Adrenal Harmony Gold as the website is identical in format. It is a preparation which is highly discouraged by Cushings support groups basically because it is not going to do anything except probably allow the dog to die earlier than he needed to because the owner could not/would not use standard treatment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BluenIsaacBoys

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, all. I will definitely consider all these options. My main goal is keeping Blue feeling as well as possible and not mixing medications that will cause risks. I understand that many of the herbals mixing with Prednisolone is not a good idea. I have been in a bit of a desperate state and am just trying to leave no stone unturned.

I have been reading up on some remedies for constipation. Since Blue is dehydrated from his kidneys, I feel that it might be affecting his bathroom habits. I had no idea the constipation site existed and already tried one tip which was feeding him canned pumpkin. I didn't think he was going to eat it but he loved it and I think it may have helped. Will keep including it in his diet as long as he agrees to eat it. :tabbycat:

kkbitter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, all. I will definitely consider all these options. My main goal is keeping Blue feeling as well as possible and not mixing medications that will cause risks. I understand that many of the herbals mixing with Prednisolone is not a good idea. I have been in a bit of a desperate state and am just trying to leave no stone unturned.

I have been reading up on some remedies for constipation. Since Blue is dehydrated from his kidneys, I feel that it might be affecting his bathroom habits. I had no idea the constipation site existed and already tried one tip which was feeding him canned pumpkin. I didn't think he was going to eat it but he loved it and I think it may have helped. Will keep including it in his diet as long as he agrees to eat it. :tabbycat:
Hello. I realize this is an older thread, but wanted to check and see if you did follow through with the Life Gold while your Blue was on prednisolone? I am in a similar position as you were with Blue and we don't want our older kitty to go through surgery and then ongoing chemo so we would like to find something natural to give him to allow quality of life care. I found life gold last night, ordered it along with the mushroom item. My cat is also on prednisolone and I didn't even think to consider if the items that I ordered would interfere with that medication. I am glad I saw this post. Please let me know what you ended up using. Any recommendations would be helpful. Thank you.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The OP has not been back to TCS since late November of 2019 so it is unlikely that you will get an answer. The previous discussion was quite thorough in regards to the Life Gold products and all I will add/reinforce is to make sure that it does not interfere with other medications or combinations of other supplements.

TJCATS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi there, and i'm sorry about your cat. My cat has a tumor in her mouth, and amid searching for a natural remedy that I can do on my own, i came across life gold, and bought it right away. I don't see how it can harm the cat since it's all natural. Plenty of positive reviews to win me over, and I don't let one negative review ruin my decision. So going forward, I would recommend this product- it will at least give our cats a better quality of life towards the end. Mine is 18, and she is so strong, never had a problem except tartar buildup a few years back. Healthy as an ox, but just aging, and that makes me sad.