Is Kitty Ready To Be Alone?

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wrote this question before, but I want to be more specific. I am going away for one week. I have a 3 month old cat and an 11 year old cat. I was going to board the three month old but most vets only have a steel cage and the facilities that have the cat condos are pricey, about 40/day minimum. I am going to have a neighbor come in daily for the older cat for sure, but I am questioning whether I should leave the kitty home. I know I don't want him in a steel cage. I am torn about paying the money for the expensive cat "hotel" or leaving the kitty with the older cat with a daily check-in from my neighbor who will take care of food, litter and love.
Thoughts?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello K kpc1024 , I would go for the second option, that is leaving both cats at home and having your neighbour coming over.

But before you away, get your neighbour to come over daily to play with them so that you cats can get accustomed to your neighbour. Do this for a week or two before your actual leaving and at times without you around. Try leaving them for a few hours straight and let them het use to the time frame of you being absent and with your neighbour coming in. This will adjust their expectations so they don't get freaked out by having nobody at home and stranger coming in.

This way is much better at the vet with all the noisy barking dogs and also it takes time for your kitty to readjust at the vet and boarding house and readjust again when you bring her home.

You save much more on this and much less stress on your cats and you can buy your neighbour dinner after that or get her a cat :devilish: :lol:

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
The kitten definitely should not be in a steel cage. If you can afford it, the "pricey" cat kneel is worth every penny.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I missed your previous question on this topic, but I have always opted for leaving my cats at home and having someone come in every day to check food and water bowls and scoop litter. I have older cats and younger cats, too. They’d be terrified if I boarded them. Unless your two fight to the point where it’s dangerous to leave them alone, they’ll probably be happier at home.

I also have webcams set up in the two rooms where they spend the majority of their time so I can “drop in” virtually while I’m gone. I can even talk to them, although that tends to freak them out. :) My pet sitter also texts me daily updates with photos letting me know how everyone is doing.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I totally agree with Tober. Cats are not nearly as stressed out when they cam stay home.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does your 3 month old kitten and 11 year old cat get along ok? As long as you're confident there'll be no fights while you're away, leaving them home together with the neighbour checking on them should be fine.

Maybe close doors to rooms that aren't kitten proofed, just to be sure that the little one doesn't get bored and get into mischief.

And maybe put out an extra litter box, just in case the neighbour isn't able to keep them as clean as you do. You definitely don't want to come home to litter box avoidance issues.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would the neighbor be willing to check a bit more often on the little one? 3 months is young yet, but I do think a steel cage for a week would be a bit bothersome for a youngster.
Depending on feeding schedules kittens eat a lot and often, if they're free fed this isn't an issue but a 3 month old needs fed more than once a day.
Kitten proof the absolute hell out of your house/apartment. No blind cords hanging to get hung up on, no heavy knick-knacks sitting around that 11 year old could knock over onto a tiny kitten. No plastic bags or paper bags with handles that are not cut. No string toys for kitten to ingest, no toys too small to choke on, etc. It can be done, but just think like a kitten and kitten proof that house.
If the neighbor is receptive, ask if they will check in twice a day. Pay them something. (If they won't take money, a gift card to a favorite restaurant is usually well received thanks!)