Is it time to rehome my second cat?

Zoenka123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good day, everyone! This is going to be a long story and I thank you in advance if you read it till the end and share your opinion, because at this point of time I feel like we need all the advice and help possible.

10 months ago my husband and I adopted our first cat ever: a 2yo male. Even though we were looking for a calm cat, we are happy that Jerry turned out to be very bold, energetic, smart (oh boy, the amount of child locks we needed to install, and he can solve any food puzzle in under 3 minutes) and, the best part, affectionate. He decompressed and warmed up to us pretty fast and in about a month it felt like he was always there. We were over the moon! I was reading a lot about cats’ care and watching Jackson Galaxy’s videos, and at some point discovered that most cats do better in the company of another cat if introduced properly.

We did a lot of research on introductions and in about 3 months after Jerry’s adoption visited a shelter and described our needs: a young energetic cat who will play with Jerry and keep him company when we are not around. Looking back, I am still not sure if we have chosen correctly.

Enter Lacey: a 1yo female who recently gave birth and was hiding under a chair and described as shy but affectionate. When I approached her with my hand, she did not react at first but then started nuzzling the hand and my heart melted. We were ready to work with a shy cat and build up her confidence, introducing her to the apartment and the resident cat slowly. I would say that part has worked out pretty well and most of the time Lacey spends out in the open with her tail up and happy, exploring the apartment, looking out of the windows and chasing after small toys. However, she is still too easy to startle because of almost anything.

Now for the introduction part: it took about 3 weeks for the scent and sight swapping and feeding in between the closed doors before cats saw each other for the first time. In about 1.5 months since we brought Lacey in we felt confident with leaving them in the same room. Up to this day the cats spend a lot of time together in the same room or on the same cat tree, they are comfortable with eating close to each other. Sometimes they snuggle in the same bed but very rarely, usually it start like this: Jerry is already resting there, Lacey comes up to him and allows him to groom her (she never grooms him back) and then when she gets tired, she either leaves or swats at him until he stops and then they keep staying in the same bed. Only a few times during 8 months I saw her chasing after him or initiating a play fight but most of the time she would like to be left alone.

As for Jerry, and the part I do not like: whenever he wants to play with her or groom her, he would not really respect her boundaries and continue chasing despite being swatted at and occasionally hissed at. Lacey keeps running from him until she jumps on a window perch or hides in a tunnel and only then he gets bored and leaves. If he did jump on her and she did not have time to leave, they would wrestle, and his body language indicates play while her body language (pinned ears and claws out) is definitely defensive. We try our best being proactive about it by distracting Jerry with toys when we see him about to pounce or talking to him in the process (he stops to listen and she runs away, then we place him in a separate place or room to cool down).

I would like to specify that we play with them 2 times a day for 15 minutes with an interactive toy (separately then together), as well as do agility training (hide kibble around the apartment so that they have to jump and crouch and look everywhere), plus clicker training a couple times a week, plus Jerry solves food puzzles 1-2 times times a day. They also have access to windows and multiple cat trees and toys around the apartment. This is the maximum activity time we are willing to provide for Jerry. He is never destructive during his zoomies and there was no undesirable behavior whatsoever. We did not get the second cat to ‘solve’ any problems, simply make things even better by playing with Jerry and helping with the leftover excess energy. I am not ready for a third play session or harness training, for example, to tire him out even more so that he does not bother Lacey. We did order a cat wheel though, and it is on the way.

Now comes the saddest part: Lacey has recurring UTI and ongoing allergies which result in terrible skin rashes that occasionally (1-2 times a month) require her wearing an e-collar, at some point we switched from plastic to a soft one because her condition is still not under control and the plastic one made her miserable. I would like not go in too much details, since the text is already so long, but in short: we are working on both conditions with her veterinarian, but it takes so much time and energy (and money of course) and it looks like she will need even more examination and may even require a surgery to prevent the UTI from coming back.

Both conditions were present at the moment we adopted her (i.e. a bald bloody spot on her belly), however the shelter states they were not aware. We had to discover it on our own and to this day I feel scammed, because such things should be known in advance to make a more conscious choice. The vet says both things are exacerbated by stress and even though we do our best to ensure the place is as stress-free as possible, I suspect that occasional bullying from Jerry is not making her happy. We wanted a friend for the first cat, but Lacey is not feeling her best to interact with him most of the time. As I mentioned before, I am not sure she is the perfect match even if she felt better.

Do you think we should keep doing what we do, which is paying attention to their interactions, reinforcing desired behaviour and interfering when Jerry is too much for her? Or should we perform complete reintroduction? Or should we wait until her condition is under control and do the reintroduction then? I am not sure that what we do currently is helping either of the cats (or my mental state for that matter) and I feel that everyone is at least a little unhappy with the current environment (to be honest, I am more than unhappy with how things turned out). It has been almost 8 months and I feel exhausted from keeping an eye on their interactions while treating Lacey and going to the vet all the time (and we have no idea how much longer it will take, each change in food and environment needs to be monitored closely and tales week to evaluate its effectiveness). Hence, the title of the post: should we look for a better place for Lacey where they can take care of her? I want the best for both cats, but with the current situation, I feel like I have sacrificed so much time and energy and feel so sad and tired most of the time.

Thank you so much for reading and any tips and thoughts would be appreciated.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi
Are you still able to return her to the shelter? I hate to say, but adopting a shy, easily startled cat to be with a boisterous outgoing cat wasn't the best approach. This is partly on you because you could tell right away that she was shy, but this is mostly on the shelter because you accurately described what you initially were looking for.

That said, because they do spend time together as much as they do and other aspects of all this are good, there are some options.

Find ways to give yourself a mental lift. Cats are very sensitive to our emotions and she needs you to feel, if not happy, then at the least neutral.

Harness walking isn't to tire him out, it is to engage that marvelous mind of his with all the everchanging scents and sounds the outside has to offer.

Cat Music will very likely help her. Ask the vet, if it's legal where you are, if CBD would be of any help for her stress.

Chamomile tea, store bought only, brewed, cooled and dabbed on her hot spots can be quite beneficial. It is anti fungal, anti bacterial, will ease discomfort and is safe if she ingests it.

This is also very important, including tall water glasses filled up with filtered water and placed here and there;

Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake - TheCatSite

Do you think we should keep doing what we do, which is paying attention to their interactions, reinforcing desired behaviour and interfering when Jerry is too much for her?
My short answer is yes. She fell in love with you as well.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you post a video of the interactions? I'm actually not quite sure if it is play sometimes.

It can take a shy cat longer to start initiating.

I'll be honest with you, with your feelings about the shelter and that she came with two illnesses they didn't disclose or were too busy to notice, she won't do well there. She's also bonded to her humans and has a relationship in a way with he other cat.

She's not likely to be rehomed with chronic UTIs. I'm happy to help in this post or another with chronic UTI questions. I had one of those cats for 17 years 🐱 it sucks, but once you get it sorted, you can have many many years without reoccurrence.

While not the perfect match (best matches are always made with similar personalities and likes for cats), I did see my own shy cat flourish over the years and begin to play with other cats in the home.

You have lots of advice above and we'd love to hear more about what's working for your home and what isn't so that we can help brainstorm with you ways to help everyone settle some.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zoenka123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
Are you still able to return her to the shelter? I hate to say, but adopting a shy, easily startled cat to be with a boisterous outgoing cat wasn't the best approach. This is partly on you because you could tell right away that she was shy, but this is mostly on the shelter because you accurately described what you initially were looking for.

That said, because they do spend time together as much as they do and other aspects of all this are good, there are some options.

Find ways to give yourself a mental lift. Cats are very sensitive to our emotions and she needs you to feel, if not happy, then at the least neutral.

Harness walking isn't to tire him out, it is to engage that marvelous mind of his with all the everchanging scents and sounds the outside has to offer.

Cat Music will very likely help her. Ask the vet, if it's legal where you are, if CBD would be of any help for her stress.

Chamomile tea, store bought only, brewed, cooled and dabbed on her hot spots can be quite beneficial. It is anti fungal, anti bacterial, will ease discomfort and is safe if she ingests it.

This is also very important, including tall water glasses filled up with filtered water and placed here and there;

Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake - TheCatSite

My short answer is yes. She fell in love with you as well.
Thank you so much for the ideas! I will definitely start with the mental lift part. And of course keep working with the veterinarian.
As for the shelter, I believe they do accept cats back, but with her health condition I am not sure they will be successful with finding another home for her, if at all trying to.

Zoenka123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you post a video of the interactions? I'm actually not quite sure if it is play sometimes.

I'll be honest with you, with your feelings about the shelter and that she came with two illnesses they didn't disclose or were too busy to notice, she won't do well there. She's also bonded to her humans and has a relationship in a way with he other cat.

She's not likely to be rehomed with chronic UTIs. I'm happy to help in this post or another with chronic UTI questions. I had one of those cats for 17 years 🐱 it sucks, but once you get it sorted, you can have many many years without reoccurrence.

While not the perfect match (best matches are always made with similar personalities and likes for cats), I did see my own shy cat flourish over the years and begin to play with other cats in the home.

You have lots of advice above and we'd love to hear more about what's working for your home and what isn't so that we can help brainstorm with you ways to help everyone settle some.
Thank you!
Absolutely, I am not sure it is always play myself (given that her body language is defensive and we do find his fur under her claws, never any injuries on her). Hence the question if a reintroduction is long overdue or if keeping trying to patch things up will help.
[/URL]'][/URL]

Zoenka123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I also added pictures of them resting together to lighten the mood.

Attachments

Zoenka123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow that seems pretty attached to me.

Grooming frequently turns in to play with you get cats and of course it happens even with bonded cats that one annoys the other.
This is great, I am so happy to hear it. If you could have a look at the video above as well, I would appreciate it. You can see a little bit of fur flying at the end of it.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see a video (you will need to upload to youtube most likely) but those pictures show a bonded pair. Seperating them may cause them destress if they are bonded.

Looks like playing from the photos. It is definatly play fighting, got the video to play. Cats will yip and squeel just like children will shreek and giggle.

Last edited:

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
On the one hand, I think another boy of about the same age might’ve been a better fit, because there are definitely differences between male and female cats. One of the differences is their play styles. My observation has been that girls prefer hunting and playing with toys, while boys love chasing and wrestling. Girls can get really irritated by the boys constant desire for wrestling.

On the other hand, i live with a similar situation as you describe. We have two girls and a boy, and he is just like Jerry! He annoys his sister to no end. He tackles her and she hisses, growls, fur flies. It can sound very bad. Some days when he is especially annoying, he can just look her direction and she will start growling deeply. But they also groom each other, sleep near each other, and occasionally she will initiate play, and they have a good time. She is not afraid of him. She too walks with a high tail, eats well, feels free to come and go around the house, doesn’t hide. We have plenty of high up spots she can escape to when he gets too aggravating.

So, i feel it can work. We have to understand the differences between boys and girls, understand what it looks like when cats play, and most important, understand the signs of a cat who feels it is being bullied. Lacey doesn’t sound like she is cowering, hiding, off her food, avoiding the litter box. In fact, since she had the UTI and over grooming problems before you adopted her, it might be that Jerry isn’t really the problem. It seems she has bonded with him to a certain extent, or they wouldn’t sleep so near each other, and she’s definitely bonded to you, so i think it would be more stressful for her to be rehomed.

Last edited:

Zoenka123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't see a video (you will need to upload to youtube most likely) but those pictures show a bonded pair. Seperating them may cause them destress if they are bonded.

Looks like playing from the photos. It is definatly play fighting, got the video to play. Cats will yip and squeel just like children will shreek and giggle.
Thank you! It calmed me downs so much.

Zoenka123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
On the one hand, I think another boy of about the same age would’ve been a better fit, because there are definitely differences between male and female cats. One of the differences is their play styles. My observation has been that girls prefer hunting and playing with toys, while boys love chasing and wrestling. Girls can get really irritated by the boys constant desire for wrestling.

On the other hand, i live with a similar situation as you describe. We have two girls and a boy, and he is just like Jerry! He annoys his sister to no end. He tackles her and she hisses, growls, fur flies. It can sound very bad. Some days when he is especially annoying, he can just look her direction and she will start growling deeply. But they also groom each other, sleep near each other, and occasionally she will initiate play, and they have a good time. She is not afraid of him. She too walks with a high tail, eats well, feels free to come and go around the house, doesn’t hide. We have plenty of high up spots she can escape to when he gets too aggravating.

So, i feel it can work. We have to understand the differences between boys and girls, understand what it looks like when cats play, and most important, understand the signs of a cat who feels it is being bullied. Lacey doesn’t sound like she is cowering, hiding, off her food, avoiding the litter box. In fact, since she had the UTI and over grooming problems before you adopted her, it might be that Jerry isn’t really the problem.
Thank you for the insight on boys and girls differences.
Lacey definitely feels comfortable here, except for heath concerns of course, I hope we will have it under control soon.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you have great suggestions above from everyone. I also agree by the pictures it looks like they are pretty close.
Also if you were to return her to the shelter I would be afraid they would not be able to rehome her due to her having chronic health issues. Meaning she would more than likely be pts.

So the question is do you have the mental capacity yourself (not becoming too stressed out) to care for her medical issues they are not severe issues just chronic but if surgery would prevent her from getting recurring UTIs is that something you would be able to have done? Can you afford upcoming vet bills? Would you be able to get insurance on her? If so I would try to find one that does cover previous conditions. I'm not sure if this is even an option. Every company I looked into said no previous conditions were covered in the policy. So you would have to do some research.

You have to take time out of the day for you. Mental health is just as important if not more than physical health.

To be fair you told the shelter what you were looking for a young energetic playful cat and the shelter didn't take that into consideration. Instead they introduced you to a shy kitty that was hiding under a chair. So they should have listened better but you were ready for the challenges of her being shy and working on her confidence which is awesome. You guys were willing to give her a chance even knowing she wasn't exactly what you were looking for.

My thoughts about her belly being bald and bloody.. she was in a cat room loose. When you guys were there you didn't notice it before you got her so they honestly probably didn't notice it either because in cat rooms they just do what needs done feedings and literbox maintenance. Of course playing but if she was hiding not really playing they wouldn't have had the chance to see her belly.

By how they look in the pictures and surgery could fix her recurring UTIs I would give it the old college try. Try with everything you have and then some. Do this while taking into consideration Jerry's and needs Lacy's needs. I truly think they should be fine though.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
My cats are the same way. My boy is just a few years older than my girl and he's high energy. he pesters and tackles the girl, and she hates it. She'd growl and fur fly as well. She isn't scared of him, she doesn't hide from him. She'll stand her own and tell him to go away, she doesn't want to be bothered. When he gets fiesty, that's when I step in to play to redirect his energy away from her.

I think it's common- as long as no blood is shed with no serious injuries, they'll be okay. Especially considering your two snuggle with each other, they love each other. As for UTI, I can't voice an opinion here, just the behavioral part.

Above all, take care of yourself, and give the kitties love!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you!
Absolutely, I am not sure it is always play myself (given that her body language is defensive and we do find his fur under her claws, never any injuries on her). Hence the question if a reintroduction is long overdue or if keeping trying to patch things up will help.
[/URL]'][/URL]
Thanks for the video!

So what I see there is two cats playing until the last few seconds when one bites the back of the other one. So that bite was still play, but the other cat did NOT like it. She tries to leave and he's a bit over-excited and chases her.

She reminds me of Magnus that way. He bites the other two on the neck and such but if they do the same back he puts up a big squack and won't play more. Calcifer sometimes chases him anyway. We do have a lot of tents and boxes around for them to run through and around, so that prevents Magnus from not escaping if that happens sometimes. It's not often, but there was a time when it was often.

We noted getting Cal some kickers and "fighting" him with them helped get that wrestle energy out.
Giving all of his dry food through enrichment helps as well. It'll help both cats even, as enrichment lowers stress.

That being said, I'd worry your cats would be sad if separated. They are really relaxed and on their way to bonding.

On reoccurring UTIs, I'll just note as it's not a thing that vets mention: I was unable to stop them reoccurring until I moved away from both clay and pine litters. I've recommended this to others as well, with results in some homes that have confirmed with me. Others never let me know what happened.

How I usually change litters (and I did frequently with Nobel, testing new ones) is by using a spare or disposable box and putting the new litter solely in that one to test it. That way, there's no pressure. Then, I slowly switch over the others in the house after the spare box is used frequently. The last box switches whenever I'm out of the old stuff completely.

You may also want to try based on studies with some positive results:
- glucosamine suppliments in the wet food of your girl with UTIs
- fish oil supplements for her as well.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh I forgot about the nails.

Magnus is a floofy boy. Short hair, lots of floof. If I don't brush him every day, Cal gets some stuck to his claws. Cal plays exactly the same way with Ghost, and with Nobel before, and never got their hair stuck in his claws. I think it has to do with texture. Also just that Calcifer's claws are longer...they aren't as retracted naturally. Even trimmed. He clicks like a dog after a couple weeks.

I think it gets confusing because by hair, we don't want cats ripping out one another's hair. But some small toofts of hair sometimes happen. Heck, Ghost was rolling all over and under the U scratcher last night and left a couple small toofts of hair. He was on his own while Magnus and I lounged on the couch.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as they aren't acting like the cats in the fight video I posted (it is an unedited video except the logo at the start) it really isn't nessesary to interfear, her running and swating is like a scold. He needs the occasional scold or he won't learn when enough is enough.

Indy used to chase Kabuto after a playfight and nip his ankles but learned he didn't like it.

An actual fight involves alot of posturing and snarling as the video shows. The bicolour cat has his hackles raised and the gold one is extremly vocal.