Is it safe to introduce a new cat in a play pen?

Sammiches

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I live in a studio apartment and thinking of getting a second cat, more likely a kitten so that my current cat won't feel threatened as much as getting an adult cat. Living in a studio apartment though means I have one big living space rather than my own room to separate the two cats. So I'm thinking of getting a 48" diameter and 25" height and letting the little guy hang around there for some time. It's not ideal but I figured it'll at least be better than the shelter and what little space they have in their "rooms".

Not sure if this is a good idea or not so figured I'd ask first before considering the option. Thanks for reading!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as you can put some kind of top on it, it would be fine. Your older cat could jump right in an open one, or your kitten could climb out, and that could get the kitten hurt. Cats are very territorial, but you are right in your thinking that a young kitten would appear to an older cat as less threatening. If your resident cat is a male, another male would become a playmate and buddy. Females are bossy and feel they have to teach manners, so a male for her would be easier too. Two females are a little more diva like with each other, can get along, but not as well as two males. Congratulations on your upcoming arrival, you will be blessed for opening your home and heart to another little one!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as I know, in a studio there are 3 choices. Put em together and hope for the best, use the bathroom as a safe room, or do something like your playpen idea. None are ideal, and I can't say what is best. I'd likely try to use the bathroom as a saferoom for a day or two, then put them together and see how it was going. After all some kittens will avoid the big cat for days or even over a week, in which case free range isn't really any different from a playpen. Its when a kitten gets remorseless with the jumping/trying to play very quickly that the big cat may benefit from more transition time, and that doesn't always happen.

Regardless of what you do, you want to have some sort of backup plan if the older cat has a very severe bad reaction. Probably the ultimate backup plan is returning the kitten to where you got it. Almost never necessary, but in a studio I think it makes sense to realize that there is some small chance you might need too.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a playpen with a mesh topper that is held in place with Velcro around all sides. Over the years, we have had three different kittens that we attempted to keep in it temporarily. Every one of the little buggers managed to figure out how to get out. I think the longest took two days. The shortest amount of time was two hours. It's hard to stop a determined kitten! On the plus side, we have never had an adult cat try to get in it. None of our cats are very territorial though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sammiches

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies guys! Thinking about getting this one - EliteField 2
It has zips with locks and it seems very sturdy based on the reviews and costs practically twice as much as other play pens of similar type. I'm guessing the twice as much goes into the material being much tougher to rip. Also the idea here is I'll be bringing them both to the vet to get their nails trimmed so that they won't be able to rip through it even if they tried.
42992857_2375968262420535_3061898149711839232_n2.jpg

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I think a lot depends on the temperament of your present cat and the new kitten. However, what ever you decide to do regarding introductions you should have a Plan B as an option if Plan A doesn't go well.
If it helps here is a thread which discusses a very similar problem:
Introducing A New Cat, Studio Apartment: Bathroom Vs Cage

Good luck, please keep us posted on your decision.