Introducing A New Cat, Studio Apartment: Bathroom Vs Cage

jopua

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! So I just got my first cat 2 months ago and our relationship is still a bit of work in progress. I posted about her here just yesterday, and got a lot of positive feedback. It's been slow, but apparently there's progress.

I live in a big enough studio apartment 32SQM, and I've tried my best to "cattify it" by putting up a cat tree, a bunch of bookshelves and shelves and vertical space for my cat.

I really wasn't thinking of getting a 2nd cat, but life kinda threw me a curve ball. I found a cat during a stormy weekend. It went from feeding, to TNR to him stealing my heart and I can't imagine giving him up.

So here's my dilemma. I really don't wanna return him to the streets (he deserves better) and no one wants to adopt him. He;s at a foster right now, but he can only stay there til October 20.

I read about all the introductions how to's, to separate em and everything. But the thing is I live in a studio apartment. It's big enough (as big as some small one bedrooms) except its really just the studio and the bathroom.

My bathroom is 62inches by 62inches more or less. A bit small, and no window, but it has a light and a vent I'll keep open the entire time my 2nd cat will be in there. But I kinda feel bad keeping him in there? I'll spend time with him there of course, but yeah.

My 2nd option would be to buy a big three layer cat cage, put it up near the window and use that as the separate "room." More space, everything he needs will be in there, and vertical space. I was thinking I could even cover it for awhile so that it feels separate and the two cats don't see each other. And if i wanna play with him, off to the bathroom we go for a few hours, before I bring him back to his cage.

What do you guys suggest I do? Bathroom or Cage? I'll try to follow all the protocols of course of introducing over time, but yeah, just wanted to see what would be better?

If it helps, in terms of temperament...

Resident cat is named Luci. She's 8 months old, spayed, and is happy in her territory but still wary of me. Always eats and plays with me though. She used to live in a house with her littermates, but I think she was bullied by one of the cats there.

Whenever she'd see a cat on TV though, she'd go up to it and try to look for the cat (i think in a curious kinda non-aggressive way). Haven't been able to touch her yet, and for her meds all she's had is Anti-Rabies but she seems fine healthwise.

Second cat is named Zuko. Found him on the streets. Had him neutered, he's had all his shot and vaccines and is pretty chill. Loves human contact and is a bit needy and is a total sweetheart. He lives in a house with 3 dogs right now, and is unfazed. By the 2nd day he was already moving around like he owned the place. He'd slap away the dogs that sniffed him too much, and he stays in the same room as one dog. Not sure they play all the time, but they sleep in the same bed so i guess he's a chill cat who isn't too territorial? I dunno.

SUPER LONG POST SORRY! I just really want this introduction to go well, and i want what's best for both cats. I might be moving to a bigger apartment/place next year anyway, but sometimes some people (or in this case cats) just come into your life at unexpected times.

Help would be great! Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jopua

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I forgot to say! The 2nd cat is around 6-7 months old, according to the vet, so they're more or less the same age. He's still pretty small though, as compared to my resident cat.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’d keep him in the bathroom if it’s cat proofed. They’re both still kittens so it shouldn’t take long for them to accept each other, hopefully several days only.

However, I’d certainly check their health before introducing. Are they both vaccinated? I’d also test for FIv and Felv.
Good luck!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with She’s a Witch. They are young and will adapt quickly so no need to go through the expense of the cage. Use your bathroom and the cat carrier for their first face to face. While your new kitten is in the separate room you will want to get it into the vet for testing and a check up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jopua

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My first cat, Luci, still won't let me touch her! So I'm afraid of forcing her into a carrier might make whatever little progress I have disappear? She seems fine though, and at the least has her Anti-rabies and is spayed.

The 2nd one has all his shots, and is negative for FiV and FLV.

Should i force my first cat to the vet anyway already?

Also, at 9 months and 7 months respectively, are they still young enough to accept other kittens easily??