Is it possible to train Terra the Cat NOT to puke on my bed?

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Terra pukes an average of 2 to 3 times a week, and ALWAYS on my bed. Sometimes, I can shew her on to the floor, but tonight She puked on my bed, on top side she sleeps on. Less than 30 seconds later, she puked right below my pillow without me knowing it, then I laid in it (Gross.)

She has an appointment with her vet tomorrow, but is there a humane way I can train her not to puke where I sleep?

Last edited:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For now, no, I wouldn't worry about training anything until the vet can find out what is wrong. Puking 2-3 times a week is a lot. If they can get her upset stomach under control, that will go much further than any training would.
Is it digested or undigested food she's bring up, or hairballs, or bile (a yellow/white-ish foamy substance)? Make sure you tell your vet she's throwing up 2-3 times per week, and try to describe what it is she throws up (the vet won't be grossed out by this, it's information they need to know in order to know how it's best to proceed!)
I hope the vet appointment goes well, and you get some answers. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Every now and then, she’ll havk up a hairball, but only rarely. Usually it’s liquid of some kind, usually white.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every now and then, she’ll havk up a hairball, but only rarely. Usually it’s liquid of some kind, usually white.
Unless I'm misinterpreting somehow, I dont think white liquid is normal. Not sure I've ever seen that. Suggest bringing a picture for the vet when you go, or a sample if you can get one.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are you feeding Terra? Thinking about this white liquid more, I'm kind of concerned its a reaction to dairy or something.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, the rule usually is a cat vomiting more than twice a month is cause to call your vet. Looking forward to hear about your vet trip!

White usually means an empty stomach... Once you know more about the cause, you'll be able to try and correct it. There's not really a way to train your cat not to vomit somewhere. She's likely seeking comfort by being near you when she doesn't feel well. Trying to 'train' her will cause more stress which may increase her issues.

In the meantime does she have some cozy boxes to curl up in? Even in a shelter setting, it's been shown that boxes help lower stress and increase healing which is good for all cats.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
White (and yellow) are usually the result of an empty stomach. We call them the "hunger pukes." Does she throw up around the same time of day whenever it happens? If it's brown, or looks like coffee grounds, that can be much more serious.

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For the person who asked, ai feee Terra Smalls (children). Her vet can’t be certain without seeing her, but she might just be eating hrr food to quickly, which can cause an upset stomach. This would make sense since she has an overactive thyroid, but I shouldn’t leap to conclusions.

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had to cut back and feed 1/2 a 5 oz can. Cat would overeat otherwise. Then puke.

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I spoke with Terra’s vet and she agreed to the piking waa most likely due to an overproduction of stomach acid due to her hypothyroidism. She recommended that I spread her food intake out over 4 meals to start, and bup it up to 5 if that doesn’t fix it. Will keep you guys updated.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So I spoke with Terra’s vet and she agreed to the piking waa most likely due to an overproduction of stomach acid due to her hypothyroidism. She recommended that I spread her food intake out over 4 meals to start, and bup it up to 5 if that doesn’t fix it. Will keep you guys updated.
Let us know how it goes. My Hyper-T cat does much better with 3 or 4 smaller meals, or just two smaller than usual meals with a snack here or there. I always give her something before bed, it keeps her stomach happy and she no longer rents a bulldozer at 4AM to knock my bedroom door down :lol:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
🤞