Is it possible to get a pedigree for my cat?

coteenkaph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got my cat from a breeder back home and flew her out to where we are now. The breeder never gave me any 'papers' so to say when I got her, just her vaccination booklet. But she did show me her parents who are purebred. She looks purebred. Is it possible to register my cat for a pedigree?

Attachments

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Super Cat
Purraise
If your cat isn’t registered, you can’t get pedigree papers, even if the parents are registered pedigree. This is more or less a preventative measure, as some kittens can’t be registered, depending on the registry, like if the queen is too old, or too closely related to the stud. In other cases people will breed cats they don’t have the breeding rights to, so their kittens can’t be registered.
Are you certain the breeder sold their kittens unregistered? Could you get in touch with them?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is this cat the mother of your litter of kittens?

If you are breeding your cat, it's definitely a good idea to get in touch with the breeder and try to get pedigree papers for your cat.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Pedigree isn't pedigree without proof. Period.
And unless the breeder showed you the papers for the parents, then I'd question whether the parents were purebred or registered either.
Too many people take breeders on "their word", or accept a fancy, official-looking document without doing their research and due diligence.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm not familiar with all the different cat associations. I do know that in CFA the breeder must register the kitten or litter. You can then get the correct form from the breeder to change ownership, and change the name if you wish.