Is it possible to get a pedigree for my cat?

coteenkaph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got my cat from a breeder back home and flew her out to where we are now. The breeder never gave me any 'papers' so to say when I got her, just her vaccination booklet. But she did show me her parents who are purebred. She looks purebred. Is it possible to register my cat for a pedigree?

Attachments

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
If your cat isn’t registered, you can’t get pedigree papers, even if the parents are registered pedigree. This is more or less a preventative measure, as some kittens can’t be registered, depending on the registry, like if the queen is too old, or too closely related to the stud. In other cases people will breed cats they don’t have the breeding rights to, so their kittens can’t be registered.
Are you certain the breeder sold their kittens unregistered? Could you get in touch with them?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is this cat the mother of your litter of kittens?

If you are breeding your cat, it's definitely a good idea to get in touch with the breeder and try to get pedigree papers for your cat.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Pedigree isn't pedigree without proof. Period.
And unless the breeder showed you the papers for the parents, then I'd question whether the parents were purebred or registered either.
Too many people take breeders on "their word", or accept a fancy, official-looking document without doing their research and due diligence.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm not familiar with all the different cat associations. I do know that in CFA the breeder must register the kitten or litter. You can then get the correct form from the breeder to change ownership, and change the name if you wish.

British Girls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got my cat from a breeder back home and flew her out to where we are now. The breeder never gave me any 'papers' so to say when I got her, just her vaccination booklet. But she did show me her parents who are purebred. She looks purebred. Is it possible to register my cat for a pedigree?
Hi,
If I have understood your question correctly, you are asking if you can register your cat, and receive a pedigree or possibly start a pedigree with her line. The answer is not easily. TICA has a foundation registry that requires that you show that cat and get a signature from three all-breed judges that the cat fits the breed standards... If I am not mistaken, these cats are "Breed-Only" cats; which means that you will not be able to show them.

ARTICLE TWO - Registration Records

32.1 The association shall maintain a data base (Studbook and Foundation Registry) for purposes of registration of all cats which qualify for registration as defined within these rules.
32.2 Some breeds may be entered in both the Stud Book and Foundation Registries, for example those breeds which have been developed from hybridization with non-domestic felines.
32.3 The association shall maintain an Experimental Record for purposes of tracking of all cats which qualify for tracking as defined within these rules.
32.4 The registration certificates for cats registered in the Foundation Registry shall be distinguished from those registered in the Stud Book to avoid potential confusion regarding the status of a given cat or breed within the association.

Here are some links:
TICA

There is a similar process with WCF where the cat will be registered in the RIEX register.

CFA also has a new program (CATS) for people starting out with 'foundation' cats. What happens is you register the foundation cat with CATS and send in a photo. After a certain amount of generations down the line, there is a possibility that her great to the 2nd or 4th degree (or more depending on the breed of the cat) will be able to be registered. There is no guarantee that her grandchildren will be able to be registered.

Honestly, it might be easier to contact her breed and see if you can get the papers from her, or just buy a pedigreed cat.

I wish you the best of luck!