Is it ok to pet another cats if i have kittens?

Clro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll go straight to the point. I feed stray cats 3 times a week, there's an adult female calico that i noticed that follows me when i go out and somehow she let me get very close, no pets yet but if she ever asks for some id like to know if it's a good idea or not... I don't want my kittens to get jealous :[
Theres also a domestic cat that belongs to my neighbors, he basically lives on the door and whenever i get close he rubs himself and smells me asking for pets but im afraid my cats wont like that... Yesterday he rubbed against my arm and my kittens didn't seem to mind it so im unsure. I googled about it and i cant find an answer- just how to introduce cats

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rather than worrying about smells of other cats, I would worry about possible diseases and parasites you could take home after petting stranger cats.
If your kittens aren't fully vaccinated, I would keep from petting them or allowing them to rub on your clothes.

And even if your kittens are fully vaccinated, the risk of catching some parasites (namely fleas) or ringworm is to be considered.

The quick solution if you want to pet your feral cats is to change your clothes/shoes and wash your hands thoroughly once you're home and don't touch your kittens prior to this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Clro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Rather than worrying about smells of other cats, I would worry about possible diseases and parasites you could take home after petting stranger cats.
If your kittens aren't fully vaccinated, I would keep from petting them or allowing them to rub on your clothes.

And even if your kittens are fully vaccinated, the risk of catching some parasites (namely fleas) or ringworm is to be considered.

The quick solution if you want to pet your feral cats is to change your clothes/shoes and wash your hands thoroughly once you're home and don't touch your kittens prior to this.
Right i absolutely forgot about these oops, my kittens have 3 vaccines (panleukopenia and I can't really tell the other two as its my mom who keeps track of it), are dewormed and deparasited (if im not wrong the next pill is in 2 months) they actually had worms when they came home, we rushed thw adoption so we could take them to thw vet fast, as there were too many cats an theyd never let go off the worms . Tbh i don't really pet stray or unknown cats since i have my own cats but i find it weird that a domestic cat is asking for pets to a complete stranger, he only sees me when i walk by the door but its true that my brother has pet him serval times and nothing has happened but i will be careful about it. Tysm!