Is It Ok To Have Only 1 Cat?

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
One cat does just fine. I have I am thankful daily that my Frog and Toad have each other to annoy. In the end it's about what you want and your resources. A single kitten can be more demanding of your time. If you feel like you're likely to get a second cat in the future a single cat is not always welcoming of a newcomer. That would be a good case for biting the bullet and getting two kits now.

maddies momma

TCS member, Crazy Cat Lady!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As long as you spend lots of time with the kitten and provide lots of toys and exercise then it should be okay. However if you think you may ever want to have more than one cat in the future it is easier to just get two now. Kittens growing up together will get along well. If she grows up as an only cat there is no guarantee she will accept another cat when she's an adult.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Either way would work. But like another poster has said, if you get a second kitten, get it soon & one that is roughly the same age.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The breed of cat also can be a determining factor Kabby is an oriental cross so he has Siamese blood if he is left alone longer than an hour he maimes himself and rips his hair off.
I have an Abyssinian, a highly social breed. I was supposed to get two from the breeder but one of the kittens had some medical issue and the breeder advised against taking him and the other kittens in the litter were already taken. After 3 months of being driven crazy, I adopted a similar aged tuxedo cat from a rescue.

My previous cat was a single after a year old. The upstairs neighbor had his sister so every night they would play with each other, racing up and down the back stairs and through both living spaces. Then his sister and her owner moved away. My cat adjusted pretty well and getting another cat wasn't an option for me at the time.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
The only real concern for us was the cost of spaying and initial shots. We only permit cat safe(er) vaccines and don't use S/N clinics so on that front all costs were doubled. Of course food is double. But things like toys, bedding, litter, and just in general upkeep like dusting and vacuuming are the same.
One added benefit is neither of my kits has went though a biting scratching phase. When one gets too rough with the other they sort it out between themselves. They have what I call whisper paws with us. Mercy came from a foster situation and has good teeth and claws manners.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think one is OK, but it is better to have two for the cat. They are social animals. But it is more of a commitment for you. So you have to decide what is best for you.

Cerraigh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_0174.JPG
I think one is fine. I personally have three thinking of adopting a fourth one from the shelter I volunteer at. We can't all be crazy day ladies though.

Your cat will be fine.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
It depends on the cat, though working from home helps, some cats are social enough that they really do need a companion.

Freya has not one but TWO humans who work from home (I live with a friend who is also works from home), and I am looking into adopting another kitten or young cat to help keep her from getting bored and lonely (she's a purebreed Siamese, though, so her need for social interaction and mental stimulation are especially high.)

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes it is okay to have one cat.

In actual practice, things often do not work out so simply. We can attribute this to a thing called "potato chip effect."

Have you ever said: "I will just have one"

And then after a short period of time you found this?

Same principle with cats. You start with this (just gonna have one):

And the next thing you know:

Joking aside, some cats have personalities that allow them to be solo and happy. Some cats are more social and want to interact. The living situation can have an effect too - if someone is home most of the time, that can satisfy a cats need for socialization.

A cat who craves interaction may turn the loneliness and boredom into problem behavior. A neighbor who worked all day and left her cat alone had a problem with the cat being up all night playing. It turned out the cat slept all day and was simply joyful that someone was home. A second cat cured the issue quickly. On the other hand I had a cat who could care less if another cat was around, she was completely happy to be alone.

As has already been pointed out, having two is very little more trouble than one: same litter box, same toys, etc.

Currently we have two Bengals. Bengals are a breed that generally craves interaction and attention. We started with just one, but he was a rescue with a lot of anger problems. Once we addressed his issues and he was settled in (it took a few years) we got a second Bengal. This turned out to work really well for both of them and they are really happy to have each other around. I have to add that watching them play together is really entertaining too.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
2 of my 4 female cats are very territorial. They do not get along. Peaches was 3yrs old, Maggie 3 months, now adult . Getting another kitten would be awesome. Just be sure you don't get an adult cat