Is It Ok To Have Only 1 Cat?

jessicac05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

We will be getting a kitten on Saturday and I am wondering if she will be ok as the only cat? The kitten comes from a home with multiple cats.

I work from home and only leave for short periods of time, never for more than a few hours.

I am hoping to do what is best for the kitten so any advice is welcome. Thanks!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I should also add make sure you have lots of toys and cat furniture to provide stimulation kittens regardless of how many you have can get destructive if they get bored.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessicac05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok. Great! Thanks for the info. I will definitely be looking for cat furniture.

missriss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If interested adopting 2 kittens vs 1 really great because they keep each other out of trouble. Rather than destroying things they just play with each other. Of course it's not necessary but a lot of people recommend 2 kittens vs 1 for this reason.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
If interested adopting 2 kittens vs 1 really great because they keep each other out of trouble. Rather than destroying things they just play with each other. Of course it's not necessary but a lot of people recommend 2 kittens vs 1 for this reason.
Of course this couldn't be further from the truth with Indy I could have 50 cats and she'd still be a little demon. I think it really depends on the cat's personality rather than the number of cats. Some are very laid back while others are little brats.

Generally from my experience if you play with them long enough using a feather wand or something like that they will tire and sleep till you get back.

missriss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Of course this couldn't be further from the truth with Indy I could have 50 cats and she'd still be a little demon. I think it really depends on the cat's personality rather than the number of cats. Some are very laid back while others are little brats.

Generally from my experience if you play with them long enough using a feather wand or something like that they will tire and sleep till you get back.

Also depends on age. Kittens adopted together are more likely to get along than adult cats (a year or older). :biggrin: Personality definitely matters more with adult cats where as kittens help each other. I wish I had another cat when Baxter was 7/8 months because he was a terror! Even now he is way more calm now that he has a sister to wrestle with. :dance:

missriss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Definitely mother wrong with single cat households though! You don't *~have~* to do anything :redheartpump:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just sharing from personal experience with Indy. I've had other kittens when I was younger but they were mostly barn cats who weren't exactly pets.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have had both. One is fine but I did appreciate having 2 after adopting Mooch and Noodles at the same time. They are litter mates. They did everything together as kittens. If one realized the other wasn't in the same room they'd start meowing and the other would come running. :redheartpump: They did get in less trouble than other kittens I've had. They helped each other remember some good manners too.

But it isn't necessary. Especially because you are preparing to be your kitten's playmate and caretaker. :)

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One cat will be just fine. You will develop a special relationship with that one cat that you won't with two cats. I adopted Mingo first, and he is still the alpha cat. He is very attuned to my every mood and action. He follows me around the house like a puppy and is happy to talk to me about anything. I later adopted Lily, and I love her, but I don't have the same relationship with her that I have with Mingo, and I often think my relationship with Lily would be different if she was an only cat.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats prefer to have a friend even if you play with him / her constantly. My Aby drove me nuts with his constant demands for attention, chewing on electrical cords, and getting himself in all sorts of mischief (one of which needed a trip to the ER:doh:). Once I added another cat, he was MUCH happier and didn't demand so much attention. It really depends on the cat's personality.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
The breed of cat also can be a determining factor Kabby is an oriental cross so he has Siamese blood if he is left alone longer than an hour he maimes himself and rips his hair off.

I should also add he came from an spca seizure so I'm pretty sure part of it has to do with his past.

Last edited:

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have had cats by themselves and 2 together.

The ones by themselves were as a result of the second cat passing away. In both instaances the remaining cat seemed to be well behaved and happy. And even when we did have 2 cats at once, they often seemed to enjoy their alone time.

HOWEVER, I must say the perfect situation is when you have 2 cats and they play together and interact with each other.

This is now our situation. We adopted Arnold and Greg (fraternal brothers). They play fight (gently) together. Arnold is bigger and can pin Greg in a heartbeat, but Greg is often the instigator. After Arnold has knocked greg to the ground a few times, arnold will lie down and let greg jump on him. They chase each other around the house, galloping and thundering around as they are the size of small to midsized dogs. They hid behind furniture and ambush each other. They are an important part of each others lives. And I worry about what will happen to one when the other is gone. The joy and excitment they share is so positive and im very glad we adopted them together.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The world wrestling championships......and I have a ringside seat!
20161107_074634.jpg

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isnt it a pleasure to watch.

It always makes me laugh.

Recently I thought arnold was being too rough with greg as I woukd hear greg cry out on occasion.

But then I saw greg is actually the one attacking arnold and greg cries just as he jumps on arnold, who accommodates by lying on his side....waiting.

ReallySleepy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am sure it's OK to have only one cat.

Just wanted to mention that I have known what it's like to have two. Back in 2007, a neighbor of mine got a cat, which quickly became my best friend and spent much of his time in my apartment. Then another neighbor also got a cat, which I also "pilfered". So for four and a half years these two cats lived together, sometimes 24/7, until one of them had to move (by which time the other one had become my cat - see my avatar). They became the best friends you'd ever seen, even though they were temperamentally very different. The most important takeaway experience for me was that they had a great time together and that I would not have been able to substitute as a cat buddy for either of them. I think you should contemplate having two cats if that is an option.

Here they are together in September 2007: