Is it ok to get my indoor-outdoor cats to be indoor-only?

Salchicat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! :)

I have 2 cats with access to the "outside world". I live in a very small condo where neighbors know them and cars can't drive fast because it's shaped like a roundabout, so the dangers of being outside are lowered (I know there still are some).
The problem is, one day we'll move to an apartment where they'll have to be indoor-only and my mom is worried about them going crazy or getting depressed... Have you had similar experiences? Are they going to be ok?
I also have a litter of orphan kittens right now, and we were thinking about keeping one, but my mom is hesitant because of that same reason.

Thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi there! There are members who have converted ferals to indoor only, so it is doable. However, if your apartment is on a ground floor you could consider buying or building a catio/cat enclosure for them. If on a higher floor, and it has a balcony, it can be converted to a catio of sorts. If there is no balcony, consider looking at window versions of catios. Any of these can be temporary in nature since I assume you will be renting.
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) - TheCatSite
Cat Enclosures - Freedom Without The Risks For Curious Cats - TheCatSite

Cf24248

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Most of my cats were random strays that now enjoy the cushy indoor life. So, yes, it's totally doable :) Honestly, for two of mine, moving houses (even if it was to an apartment) was actually helpful because they didn't feel the need to go outside to "their territory" since it was new environment.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they currently only go to the bathroom outside, that can pose difficulties and require strategy to overcome. Had this issue once.

Cats that have spats may have more of them after conversion without the outlet to drain energy. I observed this with a young adult and senior pair.

Absent that, its mostly about how long the period of whining to go out will last, usually days to a couple weeks. Maybe it lasts about the same length of time, but its not nearly as bothersome as cats that whine/scratch outside the bedroom door to be let in at night because you get to sleep :) It can become a bit of a lasting PITA if you allow enough escapes to transform your cat into a fearless Houdini, but some basic strategy and due care can prevent door darting.

All in all, normally not such a big deal, and they adapt well enough.

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
More than half of mine were outside cats, 1 being a rough feral. Each and every one of them have come to love & enjoy the easy life indoors. Some gained extra weight from inactivity compared to outside living. While not a 1 of them seem to want to be outside anymore, just be sure to watch them around an open door.
But yes, they adjust just fine and are content