Is it normal to love your kitten so much .. like he is your baby not just a pet?

Ravenblackcat121

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Because i do not crazy love though! .

And my friend told me that's not healthy and he will forget you if your gone and will eat you if you die :S

But i don't care i will love him even if he hated me
I couldn't help but comment on this because I am such a nerd about animal behavior, especially when it comes to cats! I do also know a bit about psychology. It is not uncommon for pet owners to feel very strongly about their pets. This comes both from our amazing capacity for empathy and our strong social instincts. People can feel great affection for just about any animal, including dangerous or particularly non-affectionate ones, such as reptiles and fish. Especially when we observe behavior patterns that seem familiar to us, our social instincts kick in and we want to be friends with the animal, sometimes to the point of wanting to parent it. With animals being smaller and a little less intelligent, it is easy for our brain to see them as an infant or child, albeit a strange one.

There is a boundary between this natural behavior and pure obsession. If you are obsessed with something, it will be the first thing on your mind throughout your day. Thoughts of it will disturb everyday tasks, and you will always be desperate to attend to your obsession. If you find yourself constantly rejecting social calls and ignoring important tasks simply because you want to be with your pet, you may have an unhealthy obsession and should seek professional help. However, loving your pet, even regardless of its feelings toward you, is a natural human response to living closely with another species. Some people are more receptive to this feeling of empathy and love, while some are not. Your friend is obviously the latter.

As for your cat's feelings toward you, it honestly depends on the individual cat and your level of bonding and understanding. Some cats are more friendly than others. Cats also have a form of communication that is wildly different from ours. Whereas we speak with our mouths, cats mainly tend to speak with their bodies. That is to say, they use body positions and facial expressions to convey their feelings. Their meows are mainly only used for those that may struggle to interpret their moods, such as humans. They also do this with their own kittens because young cats have poorer hearing and instincts than adults. Like kittens, we have poorer hearing than adult cats and often struggle to interpret their wants and needs. Thus, if a cat wants something from you, it is likely to meow and make noises to gain your attention. Cats actually have an amazing variety of vocal sounds, and if you pay attention to your cat, you can learn what each one means.

This may indicate that cats basically think of us as big, hairless, dumb babies, which is at least partially true, but the truth is much more complicated. Cats have evolved very well to attract our love and care, and they know that they can depend on us if they have been raised around us with good upbringing. Even some feral cats can be taught to trust at least one human (with a LOT of patience and time!). However, they do not always simply see us as a food source. Cats will actively seek attention even when their needs for food and shelter are met, and they certainly can feel separation anxiety, indicating that they both remember and miss us when we are not with them. One man videotaped his cats to observe their behavior when he was absent, and uncovered that the cats spent a great deal of time in an anxious state, carrying favorite toys, crying out, and searching the house. They had no need for food or water, but simply sensed their owner's absence.

You can tell by your cat's behavior around you how it feels about you? When near you, does it assume a relaxed position or a tense one? Does it purr or knead when petted? Does it seek your presence even when it does not need food, water, or anything necessary for survival? Does it greet you with its tail up or does it run from you? The answers to these questions and ones like them are helpful in understanding your bond with your cat. It is always better if the cat has been raised around you and has learned to interpret your behaviors. However, there are things you can do to improve your relationship with any cat by imitating their own natural behaviors. When greeting a cat, shy or not, try catching its eye, then blinking very slowly and looking away. If you stare, it can be perceived as aggressive intent, as cats do this with both prey and rivals. The slow blink shows the cat that you mean no harm and are content with its presence. This is only one example. The more you take into account and reciprocate your cat's behavior, the more it will understand you, and understanding leads to a better bond. Cats appreciate good communication and will be relieved at not having to struggle to express themselves. They can certainly learn to foster an affection for their owner, as I have observed with not just my own cats, but others as well. Be careful, though, because they do have a tendency to play favorites with their very first strong bond.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone that tries to tell me I "love my cats too much" would get punched. Period. My boy Lucky was my feline soul mate, and I don't care what people think about that. They don't need to like it or agree with it, but they dang well better respect it.

MA LESTER

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do think of my cat as if he was my baby I love him that much it hurts when I am not with him