Is it normal for cats to sometimes look cross eyed?

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
IMG_20220312_231358791.jpg
IMG_20220312_122233894.jpg

My little boy (almost 2) has recently sometimes been looking a bit cross eyed? I feel like this is such a weird question..
I notice it more when he's sleepy but also generally sometimes I swear he looks crosseyed and sometimes he doesn't. Also compared to his brother (a few months older) he looks more crosseyed.

Now their mom is completely crosseyed and has been since I've known her (alley cat). Here's his brother:
IMG_20220312_122237592.jpg

Just to be clear, I'm not asking for aesthetic reasons, I couldn't care less about the look. Is this something to worry about from a health perspective? He's fine and well, no abnormalities at all.

I feel like it's happening more when he's tired, but also I'm seeing it more and more overall? Not always though. Although he always has a slight inward slant on both eyes compared to his brother?
IMG_20220312_231401502_HDR~2.jpg

I might just be overreacting. I've picked him up off the streets with a horrid injury in September and he also had all possible parasites and surgery for the wound and all that. He's had a hard 6 months with vet visits so .. I'd like to spare him another one if I'm overreacting.

I'd welcome any perspective and input, thanks :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
None of those pics, IMO, even remotely suggest cross eyes. And even the last pic, which might be construed that way is really looking as if the third eye lid is showing (in what would be his left eye). That often happens with cats who are sleepy or have just woken up from a nap.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reality check guys! Really appreciate it.

I did feel really silly asking.. I just need to get out of the habit of worrying about every little thing now that he's finally ok and thriving.
I didn't even know about the third eyelid after naps. It was late last night here and I didn't want to Google it, because if I did I'm sure I would have actually proper freaked myself out.. 🙃

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even if he was cross-eyed, it doesn't seem to make any difference. Lots of Siamese cats are cross-eyed, and they do just fine.

I have one that was wall-eyed when she was little and she didn't have any issues seeing, either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah their mom is completely crosseyed (inwards) but she is fine so I wouldn't be worried about that so much, I was more worried what if he has more health issues that were missed in his countless vet visits. But I just really didn't want to Google that because I would have ended up freaking myself way out.

i was just confused because Ive never had a cat who looked at me like this after a nap. Now I know more :)

I don't think they have any pure breed in them, they're street cats (huge problem here in Sicily) but since his mom is cross eyed, I was wondering if it could start like a slow onset or if it was something to worry about potentially with underlying issues.

I'm glad my mind was put at ease that it looks completely normal to everyone on here. I've turned into somewhat of a helicopter cat mom with him after all he's been through in the last months.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats is slightly, very slightly cross-eyed. It is more evident when she looks at something closer to her.
Her sister is just the same, her two brothers are not, her mother isn't, her father is just slightly.
She comes from a "dynasty" of cross-eyed cats, some of her relatives in the colony are much more cross-eyed. I love this feature ☺