Is It Necessary To Leave My Cat At The Clinic For 5 Days After Spay?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the bed is low thats fine, mine is over 2ft off the ground. Mine had free access to my house and were fine, if she will stay in your room with you for a couple of days better still but dont worry too much otherwise. Just watch her. There are onsies for cats to stop them licking/ removing the stitches. Have a look at them, she might look good in one.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is jumping on the bed not an option? Its only a few inches off the ground. I'll put my bed on the bed on the ground otherwise. My room is small and doesn't have many things she can climb on. The only thing is that when the door is closed she meows loudly till she can get out. How many days should I keep her in tho? Her appointment is scheduled for next week. I'll make sure to post photos of the wound. Thanks alot for the help.
If your bed is only a few inches off the floor that's fine, I think people are referring to beds that are normally a couple feet off the ground, those are a problem (if it's as high or higher then a chair then it's too high). I slept on a low bed, less then a foot off the ground, in a small room when I had one of my cats spayed (she was very clingy so I couldn't sleep in my own room or she would cry).

I would try to keep her in for at least 5 days, ideally 7-10 days though. It depends on how well she is healing, but that part the vet did get right, it does take a minimum of 5 days for the outer incision to heal enough so it's unlikely to break open.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your bed height sounds fine. We put our mattresses on the floor decades ago to keep them from fighting under the beds, then realized how much of a help it was to the older ones.

forearm's length for stairs. If you need to you can use really big heavy books for stairs. I'm thinking encyclopedias.

You are doing really well, you and your kit are lucky to have each other.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sam and tiana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone I've completely transformed my room and made sure she can access it easily :lol:

Also update: I asked around and got a number of a vet who can come to my house and do the spaying for less than half the price of every clinic here. Is it a good option? What are the precautions I have to take if we are opting for this? I tried researching but couldn't find any valuable information. Anyone had any experience?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have not come across spaying being done at home. It would make me very nervous for a number of reasons. Please research this well. Hopefully someone on the site will have experienced this and can offer advice.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I asked around and got a number of a vet who can come to my house and do the spaying for less than half the price of every clinic here.
Do you mean a mobile clinic, where the vet has all the equipment needed for surgery in the back of a van? This way of treating animals is sometimes done in very rural areas where it is difficult for people to take their pets to a vet.

As long as the person operating the mobile clinic is a fully qualified vet it's OK.

If you mean the person comes into your home and does the operation there it's not such a good idea. They would need to sterilize a whole room and bring all the surgical equipment in with them in order to do the job properly. I'd be worried that the person doing the surgery would cut corners and your cat's life might be put at risk.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Norachan Norachan is right about a mobile unit as opposed to in your home. One thing to think about is the recovery time and care after anaesthetic. Would your cat be given straight back to you, in a vets practice there are qualified staff to check on the cat and know what to look for. If your cat is given straight back to you, that is a lot of responsibility for you.

Sam and tiana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was thinking about the huge number of things that can go wrong too... The vet is really professional and is trusted by many. He said that he does it at home and can come by evening if we're okay with it. I'm really troubled about this, my dad is okay with it because of the price but I care more about my kitty.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I would go with the original vet. Something does not seem right about this, as others have said.

Sam and tiana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay guys I FINALLY convinced my dad to take him to our original vet. The guy at the reception said he can halve the price for us!!! I'm so happy and he said I can take her back after a day or two. Hopefully if everything goes well, she'll be spayed on Saturday. Thank you everyone who offered help and I'll keep posting updates! :hyper:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thats good news. Good old dad for agreeing. Please let us know how you are both doing and post photos.

Sam and tiana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys!
Tiana is back from he surgery, she looks fine, a bit confused and scared but overall she's okay. I can take more photos of the incision if it's not clear enough. She's laing down and trying to lick her wound. Should I be concerned? Should I get her a cone? The doc said to come back after two days to give her pain meds. He also said to not feed her and give her water after 2 hours.
IMG_20190504_212934.jpg

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dont let her lick her wound, put a cone or onsie on her. The wound looks neat. She will most probably be a little sleepy after the anesthetic but thats natural. Try to stop her jumping or running around, difficult I know. Well done for having her spayed.

Sam and tiana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dont let her lick her wound, put a cone or onsie on her. The wound looks neat. She will most probably be a little sleepy after the anesthetic but thats natural. Try to stop her jumping or running around, difficult I know. Well done for having her spayed.
Thanks for the quick response, she's not taking to the cone very well and is visibly distressed and trying to take it off. I know she really wants to sleep but she's desperately trying to remove the cone. She looks really thin but the doc said to not give her food till tomorrow.

cuppa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It may take a little bit for her to get used to the cone. I know it's hard to watch her try and take it off, but it's better than her licking open her incision. I'll defer to others on advise for feeding. I'd normally say listen to the vet

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She should get used to the cone. One of mine fought it for a couple of hours but then was fine. You could take it off under your supervision but its important that she doesnt lick the wound, it could cause infection or remove the stitches. She will soon put on the weight once she is eating tomorrow. Keep us updated and try not to worry.

Sam and tiana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the replies, I made a makeshift cone for her since the stores are closed. She has calmed down a lot, but she still jumps on to her favorite spot on the couch and bed, she's currently peacefully sleeping and here's a different angle of the incision.