Is It Necessary To Leave My Cat At The Clinic For 5 Days After Spay?

Sam and tiana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I'm new here

I just came back from the vet clinic and I've asked the doctor about spaying my 7 month old girl. She haven't gone into heat yet, and we wanted to get it done before she does. The problem is, the doctor says I have to leave her there for 5 days to heal. He said that he has to give her pain medications and other stuff and prevent her from licking or clawing at the incision. My little one can't really go on for too long without me and has a bit of separation anxiety. Moreover, I checked out their facilities for healing kitties and it's really small with enough room to fit in a litter box and food bowl. I really don't wanna leave her there for more than 2 days at most. The price also increases the more time she stays there. What should I do? Is it necessary to leave her there? Or should I ask her discharge after two days and buy her a cone or something? Does she need pain meds for 5 days or more?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, that's very very unusual. Are you in the US?

Most vets keep them overnight at most. Are you able to administer her pain meds yourself? They usually get 2 or 3 days worth of pain meds, if take-home pain meds are given at all.

Last edited:

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've never had to leave a cat longer then overnight, and most have been dropped off in the morning and I pick them up in the afternoon the same day. Most of mine also were just given pain meds at the vet and sent home to heal without anything extra, with instructions to come back if they seemed in pain. You do need to keep an eye on her and make sure she doesn't run or jump (a small room or large dog crate work well) for the first week or so. If need be a cone can be used to prevent licking.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Both my girls were home by the afternoon. Pain meds given at the vets but none at home. It is important to stop them from licking or pulling at the stitches but that can he done by using a collar or onesie. Try to prevent them from jumping or being too active and they are usually fine. Can you get a second opinion from another vet?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Another spay that was home the same evening. Dropped my girl off at 8am and took her home at 5:30pm that evening. I have done medical holds at the vet for other things but even with surgery it's never been for more than 24 hours after a surgery or the cat was stabilized. Even my rabbit was home the same day and they don't respond well to surgery or medications usually.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i've never had to leave any of my cats overnight for a spay or neuter in 43 years of being an adult cat owner nor have any of my friends of family members. i can't imagine a reason i'd find reasonable to leave a cat at the vet's for 5 days. and he didn't give a reason?

find another vet. your vet is either just trying to soak you for money or there's an issue he hasn't bothered to tell you about. either way, that's not a good thing. when i needed to keep a cat in a smaller space, we usually put her in a single room with nothing to climb on that she could fall off of, food, water and cat box once she wasn't woozy anymore.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with everyone else.

My two were back in my care by that afternoon, and they were fine. I got them soft cones to prevent licking, and they sent us home with two doses of Onsior (pain meds).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sam and tiana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and experiences. She's my first kitty and I really don't think she can stay there all alone. I've talked with the doc and he said it's OK to take her home within a day if everything goes well. But he also kinda scared us by telling us about the possible bleeding, infections etc. My dad is kinda concerned about this, but I'm sure it's gonna be fine since I'll be home all day. Another thing I have to ask is, how many days should I keep her in a room? She's really hyperactive and loves to do all kinds of running and jumping. I'd keep her in my bedroom but there are still places like the cupboard where she likes to jump on.

Also, W Willowy no, I'm not from the US, I'm currently staying in saudi arabia. We've never had any problems with this vet up until now and every animal rescue, shelter etc usually go to him for TNR and vaccinations for strays.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you get a small dog kennel to give her a bed to sleep in? That way you can sleep at night knowing she can't jump up on anything. The vet should give you a collar to keep her from licking her incision.

Can the cupboard be moved out of your room for a couple of weeks? If not, try to make a 'stairway' of other furniture to the top of it so she won't have to jump very far if she decides to go on top of it.

For example - footstool next to slightly higher table, next to higher bookcase next to cupboard.

also got them back the next day when spayed. Once got two back the same afternoon due to clinic crowding.

Sam and tiana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah we have a small cage that we can use to keep her in. I hope she will stay calm since she is really energetic at night but goes to sleep at around 2 am. I don't think I'll be able to move the cupboard but I can build a staircase. Is an arm length of height too much after surgery? Or should I keep the furniture more closer?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our clinic has always sent us home with a sheet instructing us to keep cats as confined (as possible :D) for 5-7 days. Unless we're dealing with adult ferals, we're instructed to check the spay incision site at least once a day and look for any redness or swelling that might indicate infection, and call the clinic immediately to have the cat looked at.
Keeping a cat hospitalized for 5 days is a little over the top unless there's some reason she's high risk, or the vet wants to make some easy cash as basschick basschick said.
If the vet knows you're a first time cat owner and are anxious about the spay, it might be a ca$e of $oaking up new Mother$ $yndrome...if you catch my drift.
(Now, if the vet simply OFFERED to keep her for the 5 days to ease your own mind, that's different and admirable, but I don't think that's what's going on here.)

Sam and tiana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our clinic has always sent us home with a sheet instructing us to keep cats as confined (as possible :D) for 5-7 days. Unless we're dealing with adult ferals, we're instructed to check the spay incision site at least once a day and look for any redness or swelling that might indicate infection, and call the clinic immediately to have the cat looked at.
Keeping a cat hospitalized for 5 days is a little over the top unless there's some reason she's high risk, or the vet wants to make some easy cash as basschick basschick said.
If the vet knows you're a first time cat owner and are anxious about the spay, it might be a ca$e of $oaking up new Mother$ $yndrome...if you catch my drift.
(Now, if the vet simply OFFERED to keep her for the 5 days to ease your own mind, that's different and admirable, but I don't think that's what's going on here.)
Thanks alot for the insight, I do catch your drift and yes I'm extremely anxious about his procedure but I think it'll be okay since the vet said I can take her home within a day and he'll just prescribe some painkillers for her. Praying that everything goes well

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks alot for the insight, I do catch your drift and yes I'm extremely anxious about his procedure but I think it'll be okay since the vet said I can take her home within a day and he'll just prescribe some painkillers for her. Praying that everything goes well
Thing is, if there is swelling or redness you know you can call up and they'll want to see her and maybe keep her a night or so. Just keep her quiet as you can and give her the meds and check her incision.
We've found anytime following a surgery is the best time to spoil them with extra treats, extra toys, extra attention ;)
We have spayed and neutered I don't know how many cats and kittens over the years. Our file at the spay/neuter clinic looks like a dictionary, and the number of cats and kittens we've lost to the surgery over the years is exactly zero.
It's OK to be anxious, but remember a spay is a one time deal :wave3:

Sam and tiana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thing is, if there is swelling or redness you know you can call up and they'll want to see her and maybe keep her a night or so. Just keep her quiet as you can and give her the meds and check her incision.
We've found anytime following a surgery is the best time to spoil them with extra treats, extra toys, extra attention ;)
We have spayed and neutered I don't know how many cats and kittens over the years. Our file at the spay/neuter clinic looks like a dictionary, and the number of cats and kittens we've lost to the surgery over the years is exactly zero.
It's OK to be anxious, but remember a spay is a one time deal :wave3:
Thank you so much that keeps me at ease. I'll make sure to keep her calm and spoil her lots :lol: I guess now all I have to do is drop her at the clinic. Should I post updates or any questions related here or in another post?

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had to leave a cat longer then overnight, and most have been dropped off in the morning and I pick them up in the afternoon the same day.
~ Same here - even when a few strays were aborted. I believe the antibiotics last for 5/7 days.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She should be a little sleepy when you bring her home, that is natural. If she doesn't normally jump up on the cupboard then there's no reason why she should after the op. Its things like beds, sofa etc to watch. Anything she usually jumps on should be looked at, put a box on the seat of a chair something like that. If you are worried post a photo of the wound on this site, remember we are not vets but we can look at it or better still email the photo to your vet.

Sam and tiana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She should be a little sleepy when you bring her home, that is natural. If she doesn't normally jump up on the cupboard then there's no reason why she should after the op. Its things like beds, sofa etc to watch. Anything she usually jumps on should be looked at, put a box on the seat of a chair something like that. If you are worried post a photo of the wound on this site, remember we are not vets but we can look at it or better still email the photo to your vet.
Is jumping on the bed not an option? Its only a few inches off the ground. I'll put my bed on the bed on the ground otherwise. My room is small and doesn't have many things she can climb on. The only thing is that when the door is closed she meows loudly till she can get out. How many days should I keep her in tho? Her appointment is scheduled for next week. I'll make sure to post photos of the wound. Thanks alot for the help.