Is It Harmful? She Keeps Stealing Iced Tea?

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Any of you who have become amused with our household knows that Princess Buttercup is- well, .......
a Princess.
“Don’t you DARE tell me “no” peasant! By the by, what is this “no” word you speak of so often?”
The dog either needs to be put in witness protection, and or fitted with full Kevlar and a team of psychologists.
I digress. Since Summer has finally joined us, so has the tradition of fresh brewed iced tea, which Buttercup finds just as refreshing as we do. She was finally caught sneaking some yesterday, (no doubt she had tried it previously, as her pearch upon the side table and lapping-from -the-glass ability looked to be well practiced- (and then, is a Princess not born perfect at EVERY small task??)
After rolling my eyes and abasing myself for “Should have KNOWN she would want something normal cats hate”, I immediately worried. Is it safe?
I’m sure she hasn’t had any great amount of it, and it’s filtered water and Red Rose Black Pekoe tea, sometimes with light sugar, frozen berries, lemon or mint (or plain).
I know it’s all natural but, that’s not to say it’s safe for kittlings. The sugar bothered me most, as I know teeth can become an issue over the years, and her previous feral comes out during attempted tooth brushing- and her sweet deamenour goes out window, and in with flying teeth claws and screaming loud enough to wake the cemetery next door.
Any ideas from anyone who has owned a prin(cess)?
Thank you!
Erica the Exhausted (and humiliated).

Please see attached image of confirmation of affection for iced tea. She has never bothered with hot beverages??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FlawlessImperfection

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think what would worry me is that tea has caffeine, i.e. a definite no-no for cats and/or dogs. :nono:
I thought of that too! The amount in this type is very very low, and I doubt she’s gotten more than several slurps at a time before she been busted. (Excuse me, Princesses don’t slurp.) :rolleyes3:
She’s now been caught, so I know to keep it from her, I just never imagined I’d need too?? I admit I watched her around hot beverages, since they often have milk or cream in them- but she didn’t bother them. I couldn’t have imagined she go for iced, with no cream? What a weirdo.:runaround:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FlawlessImperfection FlawlessImperfection - Caffeine in small amounts won't do much harm, though in even moderate quantities it can cause problems (and even death, with a serious overdose). I'd suggest brewing the Princess her own special cup of decaffeinated iced tea if this becomes an habit.

To be honest, I've never heard of a normal cat drinking from a cup this way.

Honestly.

mooshucoffee.jpg

FlawlessImperfection

Alpha Cat
Purraise
FlawlessImperfection FlawlessImperfection - Caffeine in small amounts won't do much harm, though in even moderate quantities it can cause problems (and even death, with a serious overdose). I'd suggest brewing the Princess her own special cup of decaffeinated iced tea if this becomes an habit.

Honestly.

View attachment 237792
Let’s start a club. We’ll have jackets.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I have. I've seen it. You've heard that "If it fits, I sits"? Well, this seems to be "If my head fits, I investigates/sniffs/eats/drinks." And if the head doesn't fit, the paw does, and a wet paw can be licked. It's actually quite common.

Margret

FlawlessImperfection

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, I have. I've seen it. You've heard that "If it fits, I sits"? Well, this seems to be "If my head fits, I investigates/sniffs/eats/drinks." And if the head doesn't fit, the paw does, and a wet paw can be licked. It's actually quite common.

Margret
While I’m sure your kind effort to show me that I’m not alone was meant to make me remember that (fear not!) others are suffering (and also barely surviving) fuzzy servitude- I think I now have no choice other than to sink into a deep depression. :thud:

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
FlawlessImperfection FlawlessImperfection -

Honestly.

View attachment 237792
I was just about to start a thread about my cat drinking out of water glasses! My cat had an upside-down cooler and then a small rain fountain and then a Catit water fountain, but drinks instead from the water glass on the table next to my bed (excuse me, our bed).

The first time I saw her do it, I was alarmed and about to yell, "NO!," (she understands the word No), but she shot me such a dirty look before turning her back on me and proceeding to drink from my glass that I froze and watched in amazement. I realized it's better she drink water than not drink, so I surrendered my water glass to her, but was horrified thinking about just how long we'd been "sharing" the water glass unbeknownst to me. Days, weeks?

Eventually, I got two to go style reusable, insulated drink cups with lids. One to keep my hot coffee hot for hours and a large one to keep my cold water cold for hours. Lidded to keep her out of both although she just likes room temp water, I think.

My cat still drinks from that water glass, so the fountains are put away.

What's hilarious is that she loves to climb on top of me, reach her front paws to the table while balancing her hind paws on my chest, and lean forward to lap up the water from the glass. When she's done, she either jumps down from the table or she launches herself from my chest.

Sometimes, I walk in on her drinking and she pauses to stare at me, so I close the bedroom door and wait outside. I open it a little later (I don't wait too long 'cause I'm impatient), catch her drinking again. We stare. I close the door again and wait outside. Repeat until I open the door and she's not positioned at the water glass anymore. At least, there's no more dirty looks. Lol.

I might post this in Cat Behavior if that's okay.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Any of you who have become amused with our household knows that Princess Buttercup is- well, .......
a Princess.
“Don’t you DARE tell me “no” peasant! By the by, what is this “no” word you speak of so often?”
The dog either needs to be put in witness protection, and or fitted with full Kevlar and a team of psychologists.
I digress. Since Summer has finally joined us, so has the tradition of fresh brewed iced tea, which Buttercup finds just as refreshing as we do. She was finally caught sneaking some yesterday, (no doubt she had tried it previously, as her pearch upon the side table and lapping-from -the-glass ability looked to be well practiced- (and then, is a Princess not born perfect at EVERY small task??)
After rolling my eyes and abasing myself for “Should have KNOWN she would want something normal cats hate”, I immediately worried. Is it safe?
I’m sure she hasn’t had any great amount of it, and it’s filtered water and Red Rose Black Pekoe tea, sometimes with light sugar, frozen berries, lemon or mint (or plain).
I know it’s all natural but, that’s not to say it’s safe for kittlings. The sugar bothered me most, as I know teeth can become an issue over the years, and her previous feral comes out during attempted tooth brushing- and her sweet deamenour goes out window, and in with flying teeth claws and screaming loud enough to wake the cemetery next door.
Any ideas from anyone who has owned a prin(cess)?
Thank you!
Erica the Exhausted (and humiliated).

Please see attached image of confirmation of affection for iced tea. She has never bothered with hot beverages??
"She has never bothered with hot beverages??"
I definitely agree with your implied "That we know of"

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just about to start a thread about my cat drinking out of water glasses! My cat had an upside-down cooler and then a small rain fountain and then a Catit water fountain, but drinks instead from the water glass on the table next to my bed (excuse me, our bed).

The first time I saw her do it, I was alarmed and about to yell, "NO!," (she understands the word No), but she shot me such a dirty look before turning her back on me and proceeding to drink from my glass that I froze and watched in amazement. I realized it's better she drink water than not drink, so I surrendered my water glass to her, but was horrified thinking about just how long we'd been "sharing" the water glass unbeknownst to me. Days, weeks?

Eventually, I got two to go style reusable, insulated drink cups with lids. One to keep my hot coffee hot for hours and a large one to keep my cold water cold for hours. Lidded to keep her out of both although she just likes room temp water, I think.

What's hilarious is that she loves to climb on top of me, reach her front paws to the table while balancing her hind paws on my chest, and lean forward to lap up the water from the glass. When she's done, she either jumps down from the table or she launches herself from my chest.

Sometimes, I walk in on her drinking and she pauses to stare at me, so I close the bedroom door and wait outside. I open it a little later (I don't wait too long 'cause I'm impatient), catch her drinking again. We stare. I close the door again and wait outside. Repeat until I open the door and she's not positioned at the water glass anymore. At least, there's no more dirty looks. Lol.

BonitaBaby BonitaBaby - Do not click this link!

Cats and sinks?

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise

:spew::crackup::lol: :lol2: :bliss: