Is it bad to pair 2 female cats?

catquestions232

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

My girlfriend and I own 1 female cat, and she is 4 years old. We have recently decided to get another after seeing how attached she has gotten to us throughout this pandemic. I'm worried that when we return to work she will be very lonely.

We have been told in the past that pairing together 2 female cats is a bad idea because they can be extremely territorial, and that it was best to get a male. Is this true or just a myth? We have a breeder now that we are in contact with, and are on the list for kittens in January. However, all of the male kittens were chosen by people ahead of us and all that is left are the female 10 week old kittens.

Please advise if it is a bad idea to get a female kitten, and if I should instead hold out for a male kitten. Thanks!

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont believe there is any difference in timely neutered/spayed cats of either gender. You will get many VERY experienced folks that feel there are differences, but they dont all necessarily agree on what those differences are, and if you look for actual data/science supporting differences, there doesn't seem to be any. Now if they are not spayed/neutered, or its done later in life, then sure, makes sense there would be differences.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From my experience, if she's timid, the best companion is a laid-back male about her age. But with kittens, sometimes males go through a bully stage when they're teenagers, and I'm sure she wouldn't appreciate that. So for a kitten I'd recommend a female, because she won't be old enough to fight over dominance for a while and by then maybe they'll be friends.

If she's not timid, and you're pretty sure she'd whomp a teenage male for trying to bully her, there's a lot more leeway.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catquestions232

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I dont believe there is any difference in timely neutered/spayed cats of either gender. You will get many VERY experienced folks that feel there are differences, but they dont all necessarily agree on what those differences are, and if you look for actual data/science supporting differences, there doesn't seem to be any. Now if they are not spayed/neutered, or its done later in life, then sure, makes sense there would be differences.
What constitutes a "timely neutering?" My current cat was spayed by the breeder at 10 weeks, which I have heard can be a bit early. What is a good time to get the spaying/neutering done?

So then the whole "female cats are more territorial, don't pair 2" is a bit of an old wives tale it seems? I wonder where it generated from? The most territorial cats I've ever seen have been the old "Toms" which are male.

Here's a TCS article that might be helpful: Your Second Cat: How To Choose The Best Friend For Kitty – TheCatSite Articles

Typically, though, an adult cat will accept a kitten quicker than an "intruder' adult cat, so getting a kitten should help. Just be prepared to keep them separated at first, and slowly do introductions. Here's another TCS article on How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat | TheCatSite
I appreciate the links. I'll definitely check them out. I absolutely plan to separate them for at least a week and very slowly introduce. The kitten would be coming in at 10 weeks.

What's the adult cat's personality like? Has she ever been around other cats?
The adult cat is super friendly. Very sweet and tolerant (belly rubs, cutting nails, bathing when necessary). She really couldn't be a nicer animal. The only thing I saw her do once, in our 4 years of having her, was we came through a different door that we never come through in the house. This door is right next to her litter box. It was my cousin, my girlfriend and I and we were bringing in a bunch of boxes. She freaked out and started hissing and swiping the air. The funny thing is when I reached out to her, she would just lick my hand then push it away with her nose and keep hissing. I'm assuming she just got so upset at the change in routine and having everyone near her spot. Other than this one time, she's extremely calm.

catquestions232

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
From my experience, if she's timid, the best companion is a laid-back male about her age. But with kittens, sometimes males go through a bully stage when they're teenagers, and I'm sure she wouldn't appreciate that. So for a kitten I'd recommend a female, because she won't be old enough to fight over dominance for a while and by then maybe they'll be friends.

If she's not timid, and you're pretty sure she'd whomp a teenage male for trying to bully her, there's a lot more leeway.
I 'd say shes pretty timid. VERY friendly and calm, but timid. I definitely want a kitten so that I can effectively train it from an early age. But a female kitten you think? Interesting. I'm glad I came on here, a lot of people seem to share your opinion and I had always heard it quite the opposite way.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had my own female cats for the past 20 years (previously I'd had a mixed lot). In addition I've fostered cats including kittens, some of which I've kept in my living area - first in an enclosed area. When they grew too big to be kept confined, they were allowed to run in my living room until they were adopted. My female cats were neither particularly friendly to the intruders nor aggressive. Had I wanted to, I could have adopted any kitten, male or female, it would have made no difference. Problems may occur later but that will depend on the character of both cats and not on whether the kitten is male or female. So don't worry too much about gender. Female cats and kittens are just as lovable as males. Sometimes male kittens are preferred as they are cheaper to neuter.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Timely spay/neutering I just mean before puberty or at least before 6 months. 10 weeks is way before male/female hormones change anything, so its more or less a cat, gender irrelevant.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have seven females and five males ranging from about 8 months to almost 17 years old. They all are very different, and not all of them were kittens when they came to us. Introductions between the two cats have a lot to do with how they will get along.

catquestions232

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, so I think what I am getting from you all is that the gender is pretty much irrelevant. Just take the time to very slowly introduce them. Luckily, I'll be working from home till at least April, so I will have time to monitor their interactions and take it slow.

I think I'll get one of the female kittens then since it doesn't matter as much. I'm a little sad I don't get to see how big the males get though haha. I've heard Siberian males get as big as 25 pounds (my female Siberian is around 15 pounds right now).