Is Getting Anal Glands Expressed Always A Horrifying Experience??

hills

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My poor cat had to have her anal glands expressed since the vet thought it might solve her overgrooming, since nothing else seems to have worked. What a nightmare for her. She had to have a cone placed around her neck after she bit the assistant on the first try. She screamed so loudly, it was horrible, and I had to just stand there and try and calm her down. It was like she was being tortured. Even the vet seemed a little freaked out afterwards. My cat had been so good during the visit and then she had to experience that. I really never want her to go through that again. Is it normal for cats to react this way when they get their anal glands expressed???

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't speak to how it affects cats, but my dog had a horrible time. The expression part actually went well with no problem, but then the vet stuck a Q-tip with iodine or Betadine on it in the gland, and then the dog erupted. He almost levitated right off the table. I felt so sorry for him.

I imagine your cat's glands were swollen and sensitive and when the vet squeezed, it hurt badly.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't had to get it done for my cats so I have no experience. My one cat that is especially anxious about the vet reacts strongly to being examined in that area. That is the only part of the exam that will get her started hissing.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have only expressed, flushed and medicated anal glands a few times. I am usually the one who has to restrain the pet while it is being done by the vet. Some pets scream, some stamp their feet, some don't react at all. I imagine is has to hurt like hell when they are infected or impacted.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not for my cat. I express his glands myself at home and he just squirms a bit but otherwise lets me mess around back there. Full glands may be painful and a cat or dog would react as the glands are (painfully) squeezed. If the glands are a problem for your cat, you may need to express them at home regularly before they get to the point where a vet visit is needed. The vet can show you how to do this. It can be messy so do this in the bathroom and have paper towels on hand to clean up the mess and your cat.

Tnd128

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat just had his expressed. And it was awful! I felt so bad for him. And whatever they cleaned it out with, has my other kitty hissing and moaning at him. And I don’t want him to be any my traumatized, especially in his own home. Also, the vet said usually it’s just a liquid and when my cats came out it looked like a “ribbon.” Is what the doctor was calling it. But he felt pretty confident that there was no infection. Will this happen again and how do I prevent it? How do I know when it is enlarged again?

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have heard that increasing the fiber in a cat's or dog's diet can help "express" the glands automatically when they defecate.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Something the goo comes out thick-ish instead of liquid-y :barfgreen: The vet just squeezes the glands to empty them. No special stuff needed. Emptying the glands regularly can help. You can do this at home. An extra pair of hands may be needed.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby had to have her glands expressed (once, well, maybe twice, but the 2nd time they really didn't find much). Both times it was the vet that did it, not an assistant. She did let out a "that is NOT fun" meow, but that was about it.

In Feeby's case the vet attributed it to her not cleaning her backend enough (her poops are perfectly normal), but the vet said that grooming helps express them as well. So, now she gets what I call a daily 'booty duty' (along with her propensity towards UTIs) - unscented hypoallergenic wipes. I just clean the area and so far it has been just enough added stimulation that she hasn't had any more anal gland issues (or UTIs).