Is feeding prawn healthy?

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, my cat is about 10 yrs old this year. We have had her for about 4 years and recently begin feeding her 1 prawn per day as her night meal. It started when my sis told us that she loves prawn and would love to have it on her birthday so we did actually buy a big prawn to satisfy her..(you know just birthday for her to feel happy) So thereafter we had some remains and begin feeding her every night (because that is when we are free) and stopped when there isn’t any.. But she begin to meow endlessly and non stop when we did not produce her prawn the following night so we gave up and bought her prawns again and somewhat it has become a daily activity for her. We tried to substitute with chicken breast instead but she absolutely hates it and only eats when we add the chicken breast meat and mash up together with prawns for her. So my question is as above..are we doing the right thing? Is this healthy or an unhealthy food for her? If no, please advise how do I stop her from meowing if I were to not provide her favourite prawns for dinner lol.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!

I think now and then, it's ok. Can you try the chicken prawn mixture and gradually decrease the amount of prawn? Is there any freezedried treat (there are a lot of flavors available) she might accept?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How are things going?
Hi, she doesn’t eat her breast meat at all if there isn’t any prawn mixed with it. But nowadays we are getting better at mashing the 2 ingredients together so that she has no choice but to eat it xD The ratio of chicken breast to prawn is about 80%>20% as I feel chicken breast meat will make her fuller and it’s healthier option in my opinion. Any other food recommendations that I should add for my girl so that we have more options to feed her? She likes food that has a strong smell, tried with boiled salmon and scallop the other day and she doesn’t even want to have a bite of it.