Is cone really necessary after spay surgery??

Catlover579

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi I am wondering if anyone has experience with not using a cone after their cat has gotten spayed. I have taken in a stray cat that I'v been taking care of for a while and her spay appointment is on Thursday.. she is an adult cat. She will be in a cat enclosure for a while so will not be running/jumping around . I am more worried about her licking the area and the stitches coming out. I really don't want her to wear a cone because it would add more stress for her, she's already going through a big adjustment and she does not have a ton of room so it would make it very difficult. I know they say its recommended but have any of you not used a cone after spay surgery? Especially for an adult cat. Thank you!

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I have never had one yet. Mostly the cats are quiet a few days after surgery. I always keep an eye on them so I don't think a cone is necessary.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't use a cone with the boys and my brother didn't with his girl. If she does start to mess with it there's some brilliant videos on you tube on how to make vest for cats after spaying. Sorry I don't have any links maybe someone else does. The vest might be better for her. Hopefully she will be like my brother's girl and not lick to much.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I rarely use a cone and didn't use one for Rockets spay. The biggest thing if you don't use a cone is being hyper vigilant for signs of infection and stopping your cat if they are messing with the spot.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It's been a few years (like 13 to be exact for my last cat's spay), but I never used a cone, and didn't have any issues. However, you might want to invest in a bit of research about what might be available at your local pet stores in case you do need something. There are e-collars, which are bit less cumbersome than cones, and there are suiticals, which cover part of the body to help with protecting the spay area.

Examples just for an idea:

1571596783979.png

1571597057606.png

Misty_Miffy_Moon

"What greater gift than the Love of a cat." --C.D.
Kitten
Purraise
I don't really know if your cat is going to try to bite/scratch off the stitches you might want one.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Neko-chan hated the cone and got her paw stuck in it after we brought her home. We took it off and she went right for her stiches. We had bought a blow up e-collar and she rabbit kicked it off so we used a newborn size baby onesie.