Is A Second Cat A Good Idea? (this Is Long, I'm So Sorry!!)

thricenine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys! This is super, super long and has a bit of a backstory so please bear with me. I'd like some second opinions and maybe some suggestions for introductions because I really care about my girl's comfort level/security, but I also think that she's young enough that having a companion around would really benefit her.

I posted here probably a little more than a year ago when I rescued my now 1.5 year old cat, Dinah. I was worried about some concerning behavior by a former housemate and how it was affecting her. Turns out I was right to be worried: she was locking Dinah in the bathroom all day after I left the house and not allowing her to play with the other animals in the apartment, or be in the common living areas at all. I also discovered that she'd locked Dinah in my bedroom while I was away for a family emergency, and not given her food or water for between 3-5 days, although she'd agreed to feeding her. I came home and my bedroom was dark, the door was shut, and all of the food and water bowls I'd set out -- cause I kind of figured she might pull something like this, I set up a few extra -- were dry/had been flipped over.

At the time my cat was about 5 or 6 months, and was also actively interested in playing with the other resident cat - though she was kept sequestered from her, and only really played with her via this cool toy that had balls on either side and fit under a door? She loved that, though. Within two months of finding out about all of this, I gave my notice and found a much better living situation for the two of us, but she was still dealing with all of that stuff between the ages of 4 and 8 months, and I worry a bit about her socialization, now.

As far as dealing with people: She's totally cool with my best friend and her fiance, because they both present themselves as non-threatening: they acknowledge her if they pass her or she comes in to peek at them, and will play with her, but don't focus all of their energy and eye-contact at her, as they're not really like, 'cat people' so to speak. Both love animals, but prefer dogs. I think it probably also helps that half of the furniture in our apartment 'smells' like my best friend. So she's basically a piece of our furniture that moves around. When friends come over, she will usually hide until the front door is closed and then she'll trot out with her tail high, and sniff everyone very, very thoroughly. She is very curious, and likes to investigate anything or anyone new that we bring into her space. She's also friendly, just doesn't like to be picked up in general or pet without warning. The people who tend to distress her have loud/overbearing energies or personalities, but she has never attacked anyone, or hissed at them even. Her ears have gone back when people ignore her body language and try to scoop her up like a lap cat but it's not like she's not giving off warning signs, and I figure that's probably pretty normal. Generally she isn't distressed about new people as long as they don't get up in her face and immediately try to pet her / pick her up / talk to her / make intense eye contact with her.

Her behavior with animals: She was in an open room with other cats when I adopted her, and as a 4-month old kitten didn't have issues with engaging in play / cohabitating with other cats. Since then, she hasn't had experience with cats aside from the door-play that went on with my former housemate's cat, although before the sequestering began, she was consistently trying to play-chase her and ambush her. She's only super recently been made aware of the existence of dogs, because my best friend had to bring hers over for a couple of nights. It didn't go well at first (she's a very small cat, and the dog is a very tall, old pitt bull) but the dog was kept in the other bedroom and Dinah was given free run of the house, since it's her territory. After a couple of hours, she got curious and would peek into the bedroom and scope out the dog whenever someone opened or closed the door. By the next morning, she was sticking her paws underneath the door gap and feeling around the way cats do when you're like in the bathroom and they want in?

She has super long whiskers, and so is super sensitive to loud or sudden noise, and pretty much all smells. She hates, hates, hates when any of the various washers in our apartment are going, and is pretty vocal about it. It makes it difficult to reinforce things with treats and food because she doesn't like treats at all, and she is very, very picky about food. I've only found one wet type she's okay with eating so far. She also super does not like Feliway, and won't go anywhere near any place I've sprayed with it. She does love to play. Her play drive hasn't changed at all from when she was a kitten, she could totally go for hours. Her favorites are the Da Bird wand toys cause she loves to pounce on things, and those yellow dish gloves which she steals literally all the time, cause they make a good noise or something? She picks them up, tosses them in the air with her head and then catches them again with her paws.

I'm at a point in my life where I can adopt another kitten, and I think it would be very good for her to have a companion. This is basically the only time in my life I've had a single cat, and I know she's happy with me, but I feel like she could be much happier, especially when I'm not around, and given her high play drive. I think she may be bored, and I don't want that for her. Ideally I'd like a kitten between 2-5 months, and a boy, both to avoid dominance issues and because all of the cats I had growing up were male, and for the most part, very calm and unconcerned. My mom lives in another state, but fosters abandoned feral kittens for a shelter near her home, and agreed that I should adopt a cat who is younger than her, because she will be less threatened by a smaller, younger cat coming into her space.

I guess making this decision is scary for me because I can't forget the way things went for Dinah re: the terrible housemate, after her adoption, and because so many of the 'introduction tricks' that I've seen mentioned with food/treats/catnip/Feliway don't work for her. I did have to return a kitten (before Dinah) that I had rescued, and already bonded with over two months, because I and the no-kill shelter I adopted from discovered that this same housemate had lied during the adoption interviews/questionnaires about her cat and her cat's history. It was really, really sad for me and in the back of my mind, I keep thinking about what will happen if the two of them don't adjust to one another or get along. I am totally prepared to make the adjustment and introductions as slowly as needed for both cats, so that things do go as smoothly as possible with the least amount of stress for both of them.

Is there anything I could do, in advance of adoption, that might help prepare my cat for a life change like this? Also, since this post is so long, I should add some pictures of my little bug for you guys! Thank you so much for reading.
dinah1.jpg

dinah2.jpg

dinah3.jpg

dinah4.jpg

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it sounds like it could go fine. We have three cats and they love to play together. It does take a lot of time and patience to introduce cats, but in mot cases, I really feel they do better in groups. A boy cat would be a good match most likely. It might be good to try for one closer to four or five months old just since similar size can be important in stopping her from bullying him.

astrael

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How about you foster first? That would give you a chance to introduce them and see how it goes. If it won't work, the other cat will likely still be able to find a home (and would be in a home instead of a shelter for a while). But if it goes well, it shouldn't be a problem adopting the new cat.

Honestly, it sounds like she was socialized well enough at the critical stages (6 weeks and on). If she isn't terrified of people after the ex-roomate, she's probably well adjusted. I've seen cats go through far more tramatic experiences and get along well with other cats/people. Just follow the guides and their cues. Good luck, and she's gorgeous btw!

maddies momma

TCS member, Crazy Cat Lady!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow she is very beautiful! I'm sorry you both went through such a stressful time! It sounds like it would be ok, just introduce them slowly and see how it goes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thricenine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the responses guys. I think probably I am more stressed about this than she will be, and like, overthinking it.

NewYork1303 NewYork1303 , thanks for the tip about age/size wrt bullying! She's extra territorial when it comes to people who aren't me being in my bedroom - doesn't attack people, just yowls and crowds them back out into the hallway - so I'll definitely keep that in mind.

astrael astrael , fostering is actually a great idea. I hadn't thought of it because I thought you had to foster more than one cat at a time, but I will definitely talk to the rescue I am planning on using about doing this. Thank you so much!

maddies momma maddies momma , thank you! My roommate always says she looks like she belongs in one of those Victorian cat ads/photos, haha. She's an adorable little fluffball. I know there are cats who've had it much worse, but I guess it just stresses me out not knowing exactly what happened last year when I was out of the house. I sometimes feel really guilty about how jumpy and flighty she is, but at least that chapter has closed for both of us.

I will definitely update/come back with photos and stories after I've adopted the second cat. Thank you all so much for the reassurances, it definitely helped me to feel more secure about all of this.

thricenine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys: just wanted to give an update! 2 days ago, I adopted a 4 month old black male kitten from the no-kill rescue near my house. I haven't come up with a name yet, but Felix is a front-runner, and a lot of people want me to call him Binx.

He loves playing, and is extremely affectionate. Whenever I'm in the safe-room with him, he's purring and trying to curl up between my neck and my shoulder. He (understandably) does not like being alone, though I am trying to split my time as equally as possible between the two of them. My resident cat is not reacting happily but considering it's only been two days and there's an interloper in her territory, everything she's been doing is pretty normal and what I was expecting.

She growls next to the bathroom door if he cries, and occasionally will hiss and then make huffing noises and walk away. When he's asleep, though, she will walk up to the door and then look up at me and sort of half-trill/half-meow, like she's asking a question, or lay down on my bed, where she has a good vantage point of the closed door, and just watch it.

Most of the time when she's laying down, she is still curled on her side with her belly half-showing. She still plays with me, and I moved her food and water up to the top of my dresser (next to her cat tree and the window) so that it's up high and she feels safe. She's still eating and drinking normally, and so far I haven't found/smelled any evidence of inappropriate elimination. She also still sleeps in all her favorite spots in our living room, curled up on her sherpa-lined blankets -- so all of that's good, I think?

I've let her sniff my hands/clothes after I come out of the bathroom so she can decide if she wants to be pet, and sometimes she lets me, sometimes she will do this low growl/meow at me and sort of bat at my hand, but without her claws extended, then walk off.

I left his cardboard temporary carrier in the dining room, and she's been wandering over to sniff it/growling at it, although as of this morning she's stopped the growling.

Mostly I just feel terrible when he cries because he sounds so, so sad.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like everything is going well so far. It is hard having to keep them separate, but doing so is so important. Try more scent introduction both ways. So maybe switch blankets or beds that the cats sleep on between the two. A lot of cat relationship is built on scents.

thricenine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like everything is going well so far. It is hard having to keep them separate, but doing so is so important. Try more scent introduction both ways. So maybe switch blankets or beds that the cats sleep on between the two. A lot of cat relationship is built on scents.
I tried that with one of the blanket's he's been sleeping on, and she didn't growl at it, she just seemed to avoid it altogether? Like she didn't really notice it was in the room. On the other hand, he slept curled up on her sherpa blanket for at least part of the night last night, as it was messed around when I found it.

I thought things were going really well, but today and yesterday I had two hiccups and I'm a little concerned it's set Dinah back. The black kitten (name hasn't stuck, though I've narrowed it down and am very close to calling him Sebastian, Felix or Binx) doesn't seem to care/have any territorial behavior. He's extremely curious, a lot like my older cat was at his age, and a bit fearless.

The one problem I've had with following introduction protocol is that he does not want to stay in his safe room. Even when I am in there with him, he plays with me and then gets distracted by the door, and trying to get out into my bedroom. So, when I switch from playing with Dinah to him, or go in to give him dinner, he always attempts to bolt out into the bedroom as soon as the door is cracked. Most of the time I manage to block him or catch him, but twice now he has gotten away too fast and run straight into Dinah. She has taken to watching quietly from the hallway, or several feet away when I go in and out of the bathroom. She watches very closely, but her tail doesn't twitch and she seems calm. There isn't any growling when I go in and out, anymore.

Both times he ran into her, she looked stunned for a minute or two, and then hissed and backed up but made no move to attack him. I think they were both startled and scared - she Halloween cat'd out in the living room after she'd run away, and his little tail bristled up a bit but he didn't run to hide. She seemed skittish for a half hour or so and batted at my hand when I let her sniff it. Then, she bit the edge of my knuckle softly, but more like a warning or redirection than to cause any pain or damage to me. It was very, very soft, and I was able to convince her to play with me in the living room with her favorite toy, and she came into the bedroom to eat a small amount of food, twice, as well as using her litterbox. About half an hour after the incident, she flopped onto her back underneath the dining table, and let me scratch her ears, chin. There was some purring, too.

My issue is this: now she's seen him, although potentially it was too soon for both of them. She still growls/meows quietly when it's too much for her, but I can't see a way to keep him corralled from escaping the bathroom for a couple of seconds every time I go in? He's like a little Houdini, so fast! He also cries all the time, unless I am within sight of him, and then it's purr-city. Sometimes the cries sound like pained yelps. I also haven't kept Dinah from my bedroom (and refuse to), as it is her safe-place when people come to visit and she gets overwhelmed. Generally she sleeps in the living room and dining room at night, curled on our baseboard heaters. He has been on my bed, and sometimes when he is sleeping (in the bathroom, not on my bed) she'll jump up onto the mattress and sniff around, meow at me and leave.

Should I continue forward, or move back to scent swapping for a few more days? Would attempting a site swap be a good idea? I dunno if I'm so concerned she'll attack him anymore, but I feel like seeing him come darting out that way is stressing her out and scaring her maybe? I did get a new Feliway diffuser and that seems to be helping her stress levels in a way that it didn't before.

I've tried feeding near to the door but she's such a picky eater that she'll cover up her food and come back later when he's sleeping to pick at it in her bowl.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Site swapping would be a good idea. That would get scent more interwoven. What kind of spaces are you working with in your home?

What we did when we introduced Angua to Carrot was we actually brought her out in front of him and distracted her with toys. He was able to watch her and get used to her a lot more.

thricenine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've got a 2 bedroom apartment, with the bathroom accessible through the bedroom with a door that clicks shut. It's a jack-and-jill. The second bedroom is off limits, because my roommate loves cats but is super allergic. Dinah hasn't been in it, ever, so she doesn't consider it part of her territory -- I don't think. The living room/dining room/kitchen are all open to each other, but the kitchen is a galley so there's a normal-sized doorway. I could probably put the kitten in there while I was home, if I needed to, so he could see out? The apartment altogether is 975 square feet, so not too small, I think?

Oh, that might be a good idea. If he isn't barreling toward her and she can watch him roll around with a toy, she might be a little less afraid? I'm beginning to think he could be a bit younger than the people at the rescue guessed, because he came from a hoarding situation somewhere in eastern Washington, so maybe they couldn't be sure. I've got his first vet appointment on Friday, so I'll find out for sure then, hopefully.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not too small. We have three cats in a house that is 1040 sq ft house.

With the space mostly being just the bedroom and the bathroom, it might also be a good idea to try having them out and supervised together. You'll have to see what Dinah has to say about that though. With our cats, we had no problem since Carrot is easy going. He only hissed and growled when she actually ran up to him. Some cats might be okay with it.

Another thing that might be worth trying is having the kitten in a large dog crate. This would allow the cats to see each other but not interact directly if they don't want to.

thricenine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your advice!! Last night Dinah came in and touched noses with him and sniffed him while I was playing with him in the bathroom, but I left the door open. She growled a little and then wandered off.

This morning, I took him out and distracted him with her favorite wand toys. She watched from the top of one of our armchairs and sort of slowly came closer until she was batting at the wand too. They ended up chasing each other and playing tag, basically, for almost 2 hours with no issues!

If he gets out of line she just bops him on the nose and walks away. Still don't want to leave them together unsupervised, but I think she really did need a friend.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's wonderful! Sounds like everything is going perfectly. Having them around each other supervised for now is probably best. Just wait till you feel comfortable letting them be together all the time.