Is 7 Months Old To Young To Eat Some Adult Cat Food?

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now we have 2 cats and 1 kitten. Stella turned 7 months old today. So far we are able to keep Stella with her own kitten food. Luna & Midnight with their own cat food. The problem is, Midnight is allergic to her food. Whenever he gets any his face breaks out in sores. That's why they are watched very closely so Midnight doesn't get her food. Sometimes Stella eats their food, and she doesn't seem to have any bad reactions to it. 

The reason I'm asking for help is this: At night Stella stays in her own room. She's had a lot more freedom as she's grown up. She now is out in the rest of the house all day with Luna & Midnight and they are doing ok with each other. Now we want her to have that same freedom at night. Want her to be able to spend her nights in the rest of the house not just in her room anymore. The problem is the food. 

At 7 months old is it ok for Stella to have adult cat food, just during the night after we go to bed which is from 11pm to morning. Because I can't leave her kitten food out, I know Midnight will eat it, we can't control that while we're sleeping. Stella would still have her kitten food the rest of the time. Would that be ok for her? 

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I think it would be fine. A lot of people switch to adult food after neutering at 6 months, and Stella will still be getting her kitten food every day. At 7 months she's still growing, but not nearly at the rate a young kitten does.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's fine for a 7 month old kitten to eat adult food
Many adult foods are formulated for all life stages anyways.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
We have senior kibble in one room and kitten kibble in another. While all the cats pretty much eat both, the older cats tend to eat more of the senior food, and the kittens eat the kitten food. They like to taste the older food just because it's there, but they don't care for it much.

We'll likely start switching them after the current bag of kitten food is out. They've been eating adult wet food for months. They will be 7 months old also on Tuesday.

Last edited: