Irritating words

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Now, almost every local dialect has found a substitute. Most of the south uses "y'all." In Pennsylvania, they used "you'uns." In my home town of Denver, "youse guys" was the way you made it clear you were talking to multiple people.
I'm from southeastern Pennsylvania and have never heard "you'uns", but "you guys" is quite common.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Irregardless.

Nothing gets on my nerves more quickly than this word, it is incorrect.

Call it nonstandard all you want, it's as grammatically incorrect as 'ain't'
I agree.....makes me crazy to hear that word. My supervisor used to say "irregardless" and I finally asked him to PLEASE stop. We looked the word up and found that it's not a word. He hasn't said it since.

And "ain't" ain't in the dictionary and it ain't a proper word. (
Actually, I think it has been added to most dictionaries now. But I still don't like to hear that word.)

When writing: to, too, and two. There, their, and they're. Your and you're. Learn the difference, please. It's really so easy.

"Bill and myself are going to a meeting." WTHeck? Myself? Stop it!

"EVOO" I cannot stand Rachel Ray and that's why. Don't like "sammiches". (Don't like her either.)

"Y'all" Same for Paula Deen. Every other word that comes out of that woman's mouth is "y'all" in a fakey southern accent. (It curdles my corpuscles to hear her all the time....stopped watching her, too.)

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Irregardless.

Nothing gets on my nerves more quickly than this word, it is incorrect.

Call it nonstandard all you want, it's as grammatically incorrect as 'ain't'
Me too! I want to squeeze the throat of the speaker!

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, I am going to have to start watching what I say around all of you!

Seriously though, to each his own... Maybe I have too many other more important things to be irritated over or maybe it's the Zoloft
but I think I'm pretty easy going when it comes to speech.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, now that someone mentioned Rachel Ray, I have to ammend my previous post to include the word yummo. Maybe it's the way she says it, maybe it's the word itself, but it gets on my nerves!

It's so bad that when my cousin kept posting to Facebook using it, I revised my settings so I wouldn't see her posts on my wall. Yes, it's that annoying to me.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kailie

Wow, I am going to have to start watching what I say around all of you!

Seriously though, to each his own... Maybe I have too many other more important things to be irritated over or maybe it's the Zoloft
but I think I'm pretty easy going when it comes to speech.
Couldn't agree more

I do have just a few words that irritate me with or without the Zoloft
. It bother's me when people are constantly saying, Like or You know in a sentence. And I probably do it too, but try to catch myself

Irregardless, like, it's really hot today, you know.

Larry and I also get a bit bothered when we are out at a nice restaurant and the waiter keeps calling us "guys", ok "guys" are you ready to order, Do you guys want any water? Have a nice evening, guys......

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Winchester

And "ain't" ain't in the dictionary and it ain't a proper word. (
Actually, I think it has been added to most dictionaries now. But I still don't like to hear that word.)

When writing: to, too, and two. There, their, and they're. Your and you're. Learn the difference, please. It's really so easy.

"Bill and myself are going to a meeting." WTHeck? Myself? Stop it!

"EVOO" I cannot stand Rachel Ray and that's why. Don't like "sammiches". (Don't like her either.)

"Y'all" Same for Paula Deen. Every other word that comes out of that woman's mouth is "y'all" in a fakey southern accent. (It curdles my corpuscles to hear her all the time....stopped watching her, too.)
Ain't IS in the dictionary, in several in fact. It is a variation of the obsolete amn't (am not) and is still used regionally, although rarely correctly. It should be only first person use.

I agree about Rachel Ray and Paula Deen............need ear bleach after listening to either of them.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Winchester

Seriously!? You just slammed 2 of my favorite TV people!
EVOO is just short hand for "Extra Virgin Olive Oil" and the woman uses enough of it; I'd EVOO it too.
Just a shorthand of the trade. And I always thought it was "sammies" not "sammiches" and "sammies" has been pretty commonly used among my circle of friends for longer than I knew of Rachel Ray.

As for y'all; I've noticed where you came from affects how you pronounce that one too. Even if it is a "southern" word; the south is big.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been getting irritated with people putting: "just sayin'" at the end of everything!

Irregardless annoys me as well. Toddler is also an annoying word for some reason

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spending a lot of time on the internet, especially in gaming communities, I hear many words that just make me want to punch myself!

The latest that I hear often is "jelly" instead of jealous.
"You jelly?"
AUGH that drives me crazy!!!

The other "big" thing lately is everyone using the N word. I said it once as a child, not knowing what it meant and boy, did I get in trouble. So it's not a part of my vocabulary. Now though, it seems like every other person uses it. Joking and being downright rude.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure if this is a word or not, but there are some people that start every sentence with "Ummm" or "Hmmm." Both drive me up a wall, especially when I'm at work and having to sit through a patient history and having to listen to it for 20 plus minutes!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
The one that bothers me the most is written rather than spoken. Too frequently people write "loose" when they mean "lose". They are two different words with two different meanings.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Irritating words, there are so many but they're finnish so not going to write them here.
I'm also annoyed by the many people who mix 'their', 'they're', 'there', 'two', 'too', 'to' etc. Because english isn't my first language, those little mistakes can completely confuse me if used wrongly. Of course I make lots of mistakes myself too, but at least I have 'a good' excuse.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
"Initiative"

It's been a favorite word of the past 2 years at work, but no one uses it properly or explains what they mean. It's become a sort of catch-all word for "I think you should do that differently."

I usually hear things like: "The staff room shows a lack of initiative." Ummm...how? It's an inanimate object.

riffxraff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
brutal.

too many young people use it to mean super cool to make themselves look super tough. i dont like it.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I visit message boards for shows that I like, and one thing that REALLY annoys me is the complete overuse and misuse of the phrase "jump the shark". Everyone uses it now to describe ANY episode of a show that they don't like.

Also, I know a guy who says "supportative" instead of supportive. Like nails on a chalkboard.

I don't think people use it anymore, but around the time the movie Swingers came out I worked for a guy who said "Money!" "That's so money!", etc. all the time. Ugh.

newfosterparent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tara & Rob

I've been getting irritated with people putting: "just sayin'" at the end of everything!
I hate that too. I've seen it so often, especially in rants on one forum. Drives me crazy.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sk_pacer

Ain't IS in the dictionary, in several in fact. It is a variation of the obsolete amn't (am not) and is still used regionally, although rarely correctly. It should be only first person use.
You are very correct. And there is one place in which it is consummately correct:

"I'm going to the store, ain't I?"

Most grammarians want you to use "aren't I" in that sentence, but since you would never say "I are going," "aren't I" cannot be correct. "Ain't" as a contraction for "am not" is very old, at least 500 years old in English usage.