Irritating words

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Are there some words that suddenly become irritating to you and you are hearing them everywhere?

Lately the word "Arguably" (Open to argument: an arguable question, still unresolved) has irked me. Most of the time, it is used even when there isn't much contention over it (e.g. "Welcome to Tuesday, arguably the dullest day of the week."). The word seems overused to me.

What about you? What words seem overused, misused, or just plain stupid?

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The R-word...sometimes used to refer to people with mental disabilities, but often used as a substitute to "stupid" in other contexts. I won't say it here, because I know some people find it offensive.

I don't really find it offensive, except when used to refer to people with some kind of disability. When used in the context of "that's re...", it just sounds SO unpolished and...I don't know...to me, it just makes people sound so simple and unintelligent that they can't figure out a better word to use. I think it's just habit for some people. Even when some people use it to refer to people, they don't really mean anything by it, they just don't know any better.

Regardless, it's one of those words that just sends shivers down my spine when I hear it.

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am pretty good with most words, but the one that really gets under my skin is the "c" word, usually used in a very negative way toward women. I can swear a blue streak, but I can't even bring myself to say that one- and if I ever hear anyone using it in my presence they're going to get snapped at.
Do not like that word at all!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Irregardless.

Nothing gets on my nerves more quickly than this word, it is incorrect.

Call it nonstandard all you want, it's as grammatically incorrect as 'ain't'

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Awesome." So overused, and inappropriately used. When ordering a meal at a restaurant, I really don't need the wait person to substitute the word "awesome" instead of simply saying "thank you," for example.

It REALLY bugs me.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Irregardless.

Nothing gets on my nerves more quickly than this word, it is incorrect.

Call it nonstandard all you want, it's as grammatically incorrect as 'ain't'

Another word that irritates me is "supposebly" with a "b" instead of supposedly - which is what it's supposed to be. Randall says it all the time and it really gets on my nerves.

Grammatical errors annoy me too, such as when peeps don't use the proper definition of certain words - such as, "your" vs. "you're", or the improper use of "there", "their", and "they're, or "two", "to", and "too".

But Heaven only knows I'm not perfect: I make mistakes, too - although I try really hard to use proper grammar, spelling, & punctuation, because not doing so grates on my nerves like fingernails on a chalkboard.
I won't even read some peeps posts if they don't use proper punctuation and write run-on sentences. I think that annoys me most of all..

I'm ashamed to admit that I sometimes use the word "ain't" - even though I know it's not a word.
I picked up that bad habit after moving to Texas, where it's used all the time (at least in this area, anyway). It kind of gets to be a bad habit when you hear everyone else say it time after time. I've been trying really hard not to say it, cuz it even grates on my nerves when I hear it come out of my own mouth.

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

Another word that irritates me is "supposebly" with a "b" instead of supposedly - which is what it's supposed to be.
Yeah. "Supposably."

The phrase "of which" when used incorrectly. Examples: "The bowl of which Muffin eats her food out of." "The group of which I am a member of." Or sometimes completely out of context altogether: "The newspaper editorial of which I believe printed an incorrect opinion."

It's a prepositional phrase which serves the purpose of eliminating a preposition at the end of a sentence. (Generally considered incorrect in writing and formal speech but acceptable in informal speech.)

Yet people still tack on a preposition! It just frosts me. Like nails on a chalkboard.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"basically"

"actually"

"you know"

"like"

"and such"

"ab so LUTE lyâ€

In print, misuse of "there, their, and they're" and "to and too."

Basically, I'm actually, absolutely not so like crabby, and such, you know?

Then again, maybe I am.

Robin

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Issues.........hate that word, or more precisely, the improper and overuse of the word. Impacted - yes, it is a proper word but overused and frequently wrongly used....makes me think of things like impacted wisdom teeth, etc.
There are also a couple of delightful phrases such as "It is what it is"; well of course it is, what were you expecting? "It" to be something else?? The second is "At the end of the day". I listen to a sports show nearly every evening and they trot out these two little gems several times a show - makes me think that they ran out of things to say but don't know when to be quiet/
Also hate misplaced apostrophes.

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh! Oh!!!!!

Utilize.

"Please utilize the printer in the far left corner."

...really? Just say use. The dictionary definition of "utilize" means to use something in a novel or inventive way that is especially profitable or practical, plus it's just pretentious.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ideology.

It seems like that's the latest "buzz" word used by everyone being interviewed or during debates on TV. I don't know why, but I absolutely HATE that word!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
ginormous

Why not use gigantic, enormous, giant, huge or humongous? It's totally unnecessary to combine gigantic and enormous.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I absolutely hate it when people say "Who would have thunk it"..Maybe I just don't get the sarcasm of it???

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

ginormous

Why not use gigantic, enormous, giant, huge or humongous? It's totally unnecessary to combine gigantic and enormous.
Same with "horrific." It was either "horrible" or "terrific." Make up your mind!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

ginormous

But I like that one!
To each their own I suppose....

There is one I want to add....but I can't remember what it is! I was thinking the other day of starting a thread on annoying words because of it. I can tell you I was driving by the park when I heard it... LOL Maybe it'll come to me later.

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatMom2Wires

Same with "horrific." It was either "horrible" or "terrific." Make up your mind!
Unlike "ginormous," though, which is a portmanteau of gigantic and enormous, "horrific" is actually from the Latin word horrificus. It also has a nuance that "horrible" doesn't (given our overuse of the latter) and so deserves its place in our language! LOL!
Don't boot it out! That would be a horrific mistake! (Or maybe a ginormous one.)

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A phrase that absolutely annoys me to no end is when people say, "You know what I'm sayin'?" at the end of every sentence they speak.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

Are there some words that suddenly become irritating to you and you are hearing them everywhere?

Lately the word "Arguably" (Open to argument: an arguable question, still unresolved) has irked me. Most of the time, it is used even when there isn't much contention over it (e.g. "Welcome to Tuesday, arguably the dullest day of the week."). The word seems overused to me.

What about you? What words seem overused, misused, or just plain stupid?
That's a word that irritates me as well. As in "Agruably, he's the best baseball player in the league." Well, he either is or he isn't. If we are going to argue about it, he probably isn't.