IODINE TREATMENT

Nero7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do any of you have any experience with Iodine Treatment?

We have an appointment to have our cat treated for Hyperthyroidism early next month. They tell us to keep our cat confined for 3 weeks and for us to keep our distance. Any helpful advice would greatly be appreciated.

Also, how did you deal with the litter?

Thanks.

-Art

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I went through the process with one of my cats years ago. She went to a treatment center, received the radioactive iodine pill And had to stay there for two weeks. At that point she was able to come home. I had to bag her used litter and let it aside for a few weeks before I was able to put it in the trash.

If they are allowing you to bring her home right away the caging is to protect you all from her radioactivity until it dissipates. I am sure they provide lots of instructions on handling her during that time.

My girl had been allergic to the daily medication that is an alternative to the iodine and also had heart issues caused by the overactive thyroid. After the iodine treatment her heart returned to normal, she gained weight and did wonderfully

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ask the vet for a written detailed post-treatment instructions and what to do with cat litter waste. If the vet doesn't have one to give you and doesn't offer alternative sources to get post-treatment instructions, see these:

Feline Hyperthyroidism | Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine

Home Again & Post Treatment Guidelines

Iodine-131 Therapy for Feline Hyperthyroidism

Information for Clients

https://www.mspca.org/angell_services/i-131-therapy-program-2/ (Note: this particular web site mentions state required restrictions post-radioiodine treatment. Check with your vet if your state has something similar)

If you have questions on any of the above instructions as things vary among states and hospitals, it's best to ask your vet.

Last edited:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do any of you have any experience with Iodine Treatment?

We have an appointment to have our cat treated for Hyperthyroidism early next month. They tell us to keep our cat confined for 3 weeks and for us to keep our distance. Any helpful advice would greatly be appreciated.

Also, how did you deal with the litter?

Thanks.

-Art
I did with one of my previous cats. She was diagnosed with HT at the age of 16, she started with the pills of methimazole, we switched to the ear gel, then I insisted to get the radio iodine treatment done.
My cat stayed in isolation at the facility for 4 days, Tuesday to Friday, then she was free to come back home where we were advised not to interact with her and keep distance of at least 1 meter for 4 weeks.

I disregarded this advice and allowed the cat to lay on my lap or next to me as long as she wanted. It was 3 years ago, I'm still fine. I'm not saying that you should do the same I did, just to tell you my experience.

As for the litter, the advice I received from the facility was to scoop the litter using disposable gloves (which I didn't use) and not to dispose of the waste to the collection for at least 3 months, which I did, because I do know that all waste is checked for radiations at the waste plant.
I collected the litter in a separate bin at the end of my backyard... actually, I did more than I was asked, I haven't disposed of it... yet...

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We recently experienced this with one of our cats. He is 14 years old. He was treated in July and stayed in quarantine for about a month (because we have young kids). We did bag the litter and keep it the entire time. We had to go drop it off at a special facility after 30 days but that depends on the area you are in--every place has their own laws regarding radio active disposal.
The only difficult part was being apart from him even though I visited several times a day.
He is doing very well now and I highly recommend radioactive iodine therapy. Our cat is doing very well now and eating healthily. He has gained weight and seems content with life.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The half-life of the iodine is 8 days. They usually keep the cat for 4 days. The cat is then sent home with a radiation level much less than humans. Keep the cat in a designated room or keep a distance of at least 3 feet. Use liners in the litter box and gloves when scooping/changing the litter and keep the litter for a few weeks until disposing of it. I would have it in large garbage bags. The radioactivity does disintegrate over time and will be gone after 6 weeks. After three weeks the level is very low and not harmful. I'm sure they will give you a long list of do's and dont's. You might inquire if you can touch the cat using gloves, I'm sure she will need some assurance everything is alright. I did find out you don't need fasting before the treatment.