Introduction Anxiety

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know the feeling. It is normal. They really are both great cats from what I can see. And that is a big reason why all will be well (in addition to all the effort you are putting in). I think they already feel very safe and healthy and I expect they will be able to feel even better in the future. They are lucky cats to have found your home.

Hang in there. Keep up the great work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lindanyc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Things have continued pretty much as they have been. On a positive, both cats are doing more walking around in front of each other. Charmin is definitely more tentative in her movement than Trudie is. Charmin did quite a bit of hissing last night and this morning when Trudie moved in her direction. She swatted when Trudie tried to jump up on the cushion she was on. Trudie moves away when this happens and doesn’t seem afraid. Will there come a point when Charmin stops the hissing? It has definitely been slow going. I am less afraid of an all out fight that I cannot break up but discouraged that they still are uncomfortable around each other in less structured times. I hope that everybody is staying safe and healthy.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This sounds like good progress.

"both cats are doing more walking around in front of each other." - This is terrific.

"Charmin is definitely more tentative in her movement than Trudie is." - This is to be expected. But the fact it doesn't end up in something negative is a positive. Every time nothing negative happens it builds trust and confidence. This is absolutely fine and good in moving forward.

"Charmin did quite a bit of hissing last night and this morning when Trudie moved in her direction. She swatted when Trudie tried to jump up on the cushion she was on. Trudie moves away when this happens and doesn’t seem afraid." - Hissing is communication so the fact it is being listened to is excellent. Avoiding any negativity which again is positive. Swatting is again something we see but again if it ended there it is a positive. It sounds like Trudie is telling us that she understands Charmin's communication and doesn't think Charmin would hurt her. AND that she doesn't feel the need to push Charmin. This is exactly what we are looking for. Trudie s doing a great job interacting and respecting Charmin which is helping in their process.

"Will there come a point when Charmin stops the hissing?"- Yes, for the most part. Cats will hiss at times even when successfully intro's. It just happens if a cat is bothered by another cat (even when they trust and love them). It is like humans, sometimes we get upset with people we love. As long as it doesn't lead to any negativity and is gotten over quickly it is not worrisome. Charmin is going to be fine.

"I am less afraid of an all out fight that I cannot break up" - This is FANTASTIC!!! A sign of progress in the cat's behavior.

"discouraged that they still are uncomfortable around each other in less structured times." - Understandably but the facts suggest they will get there. It is like being in school, we have read the first 4 chapters but we know the exam covers chapters 1-6. We have more time to read the last 2 chapters and as we do we get more comfortable for the exam. The base of knowledge (or behavior so far) leads me to believe we will pass the exam. I am not at all worried. It is just a process but they are really doing extremely well. On track for success. But it does just take some time. I don't see any reason why they will not be fine. Doesn't mean we wont have a bump in the road but it will be overcome.

We are safe for now as we still are safer at home. This is what I worry about most. Everyone's safety from this virus. I hope you stay safe and stay healthy!!

I know it is not perfect yet (Charmin and Trudie) but I am so optimistic all is going to be well. They really are doing great. Just keep doing what you are doing (Positive associations, positive encounters, distract as needed, and observe their behavior - body language etc). Both Charmin and Trudie are doing their parts as well so everyone is moving forward. GREAT JOB!!!

Lindanyc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have gotten to the point where the cats are together except for overnight and when we are not at home. The longest they have been together at one time is 8 hours. They have come a long way. Charmin still hisses more than I’d like and swats from time to time. Trudie chases and swats once or twice a day. It has never escalated beyond that and both are easily distracted. I think we will start to give them a little time apart when the swatting starts.

At times they are almost nose to nose sniffing each other. They eat in close proximity and can spend long periods of time sitting and even snoozing near each other. I am not sure what causes the hissing and swatting at times. We will keep at it! I hope everybody is well.

Attachments

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yess: :hyper: :clap2:

AWESOME!!! 8 hours?!?!?!?!? FANTASTIC!!!!

"Charmin still hisses more than I’d like and swats from time to time. Trudie chases and swats once or twice a day. It has never escalated beyond that and both are easily distracted." - Hissing is communication, swatting pretty much the same. The important part is that it doesn't escalate. That the other cat respects the wishes. So they work it out. That tells us that their intent it not to hurt, eliminate, etc. THAT is SO TELLING and so important.

"I think we will start to give them a little time apart when the swatting starts." - See if you can distract and de-escalate. Use a toy, a treat, words/love to get them to chose to "move on". Into another area. Hang out with one of them if possible. Make it positive. Make it seem like it is their idea. Anytime they can be distracted and it de-escalates it is really positive as it shows the other cat it is not a threat.

"At times they are almost nose to nose sniffing each other. They eat in close proximity and can spend long periods of time sitting and even snoozing near each other." - Fantastic. Keep making those encounters as positive as possible. Trust is there. You are basically like 99% of the way to a successful intro (and I am probably being conservative). Many would say you have success. But we just have to keep up the plan. Build confidence, positive associations, maximize positive encounters, minimize negative encounters, distract as needed.

GREAT JOB!!

"I am not sure what causes the hissing and swatting at times. " - It is hard to know. Sometimes it happens, in humans, in cats. Just a little lack of trust still but not a big worry. Just keep doing what you are doing. They will get there. No doubt about that!!!

Are they GORGEOUS or what?!?!?!?!?!?! Thanks for the pics. ADORABLE!!!

Thanks for the update. Always here for you anytime. Let us know how it goes. You are doing an AMAZING job!!! :clap2:

Stay safe!!

Lindanyc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everybody!! I know it has been too long since I have updated you. The girls now spend the whole day and night out together, even when we are not home. Trudie walks up to Charmin every morning, bows her head to be sniffed, and takes Charmin’s “Good Morning” hiss in stride. They are not buddies but have learned to coexist in relative peace. Trudie still gets sassy from time to time and gives Charmin a little chase. I am so pleased with how far they have come!

Attachments

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everybody!! I know it has been too long since I have updated you. The girls now spend the whole day and night out together, even when we are not home. Trudie walks up to Charmin every morning, bows her head to be sniffed, and takes Charmin’s “Good Morning” hiss in stride. They are not buddies but have learned to coexist in relative peace. Trudie still gets sassy from time to time and gives Charmin a little chase. I am so pleased with how far they have come!
Wonderful!!!

My goodness, they are GORGEOUS!!! WOW!! Just look at them!!! Thanks for the pics!!!

The pics sure look like they are buddies. Body language looks great.

"The girls now spend the whole day and night out together, even when we are not home." - AWESOME!!! The fact they can is what we strive for.

"Trudie walks up to Charmin every morning, bows her head to be sniffed, and takes Charmin’s “Good Morning” hiss in stride." - Awwwwwwww, Trudie is trying. BUT the fact she does take the "welcome" in stride tells us a lot. Hissing is just communication and as long as it is respected (which it sounds like it is) and doesn't escalate tells me there is respect and acceptance between them. Always feel free to just keep reassuring them that everything is ok and continue to build positive associations (with food or love if safe) and try to make every encounter as positive as possible. Stay as calm and confident and loving around them as possible as cats take on our emotions.

"Trudie still gets sassy from time to time and gives Charmin a little chase." - Yes, that can happen. Depending on the context is important to understand. So if the rebound quickly and act normal shortly thereafter then it isn't too worrying. but I do like to try to distract to avoid some negativity and reassure everything is ok then do some positive association and continue to work on building confidence (Play, Food, Height and Love) and continue to work on making every encounter as positive as possible. Just a little fine tuning.

Always here if you need us. GREAT work!!

They are SO GORGEOUS!!! I can't get over it!!!!

Thanks for the update and the pics, wonderful to hear from you!!! Keep up the great work.