Introducing Two Kittens, Is This Two Violent?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever heard "no blood, no foul" ? Well in cats it applies to. If there is no blood, fur flying or yowling, I would let it play out. Kittens are rambunctious. They will also learn boundaries from each other.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Little orange kitty seemed to be pretty happy to be playing at first, assuming the normal defensive play posture. With cats of more equal size, they take turns taking that posture. Eventually, it got a little much, big size difference after all, so orange kitty disengaged. I'm guessing that orange kitty stopped running when big kitty stopped chasing, and then pretended nothing happened. That tells you nothing serious is going on right there.

This is pretty normal for cats their ages - big brother little brother stuff. Maybe the wrestling isn't going to go too well, but little brother is not deterred. As Dandeshuman says, let them be unless there are wounds. (To which I would add unless the little kitty seems anxious, hides, or goes to the bathroom outside the litter box. Which is all fairly unlikely...kittens are psychologically much more resilient than older cats. A strategic retreat is not anxiety)

Oh and a little growling by big kitty is normal too. Little kittens, like little brothers, can be as annoying as *&^%, and sometimes big brother isn't in the mood.

Breezy0815

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Same thing happened with my two little ones! I was super worried the first night because the slightly older (by two weeks) slightly bigger one was the only one chasing, biting and starting the 'fight'. I asked my breeder because I didn't want to go to work and come home to find the little one injured. She said, and I now think she was spot on, that the older one is just excited! He calmed down after about 2 days. They still 'fight' but it's play fighting. Whenever the little one cries the older stops immediately. Look at this picture I took of them this morning! Only 5 days later

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Same thing happened with my two little ones! I was super worried the first night because the slightly older (by two weeks) slightly bigger one was the only one chasing, biting and starting the 'fight'. I asked my breeder because I didn't want to go to work and come home to find the little one injured. She said, and I now think she was spot on, that the older one is just excited! He calmed down after about 2 days. They still 'fight' but it's play fighting. Whenever the little one cries the older stops immediately. Look at this picture I took of them this morning! Only 5 days later
Okay thanks for sharing!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like play to me! Kittens and even grown cats can play really rough looking to us sometimes. as several others have already mentioned, no blood, no fur flying i would let them be. :)

BlueTommySue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay thanks for sharing!
Hello, my fellow Crazy Cat Ladies!! I'm 46 and have had a cat/cats from the age of 4. I've not seen or heard of this before until now. I have a wonderful little girl-cat that I found walking across a very busy four-lane all by herself. She was only 3 weeks old and nearly starved. I took her home (of course). I keep her as an indoor cat, but before I had her spayed, she got pregnant. She had two gorgeous little girls. She was the greatest mother, until one day a month ago. She viciously attacked and tried to kill her kittens. When I rescued the kittens, she then turned on me!! So I took her to get spayed and she's much better, but still have them separated. They play footsie under the bedroom door and she's okay with that. But the three times she's managed to see the one or both of them, she hisses. But, she's now spending a lot more time laying by the door, and playing. She seems to be getting better. But I'm still afraid to put them together. How would I go about re-introducing them?? I intend on getting them spayed but my vet says 6 months is the earliest. They are 4 months and one week old. Thanks everyone for your previous information and any help you can offer me.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old are the kittens? I have heard of the mama cat pushing them away (sometimes violently) at 3-4 months until they are a year old. Hopefully it was just her in heat hormones.

BlueTommySue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
View attachment 216298
Hello, my fellow Crazy Cat Ladies!! I'm 46 and have had a cat/cats from the age of 4. I've not seen or heard of this before until now. I have a wonderful little girl-cat that I found walking across a very busy four-lane all by herself. She was only 3 weeks old and nearly starved. I took her home (of course). I keep her as an indoor cat, but before I had her spayed, she got pregnant. She had two gorgeous little girls. She was the greatest mother, until one day a month ago. She viciously attacked and tried to kill her kittens. When I rescued the kittens, she then turned on me!! So I took her to get spayed and she's much better, but still have them separated. They play footsie under the bedroom door and she's okay with that. But the three times she's managed to see the one or both of them, she hisses. But, she's now spending a lot more time laying by the door, and playing. She seems to be getting better. But I'm still afraid to put them together. How would I go about re-introducing them?? I intend on getting them spayed but my vet says 6 months is the earliest. They are 4 months and one week old. Thanks everyone for your previous information and any help you can offer me.
How old are the kittens? I have heard of the mama cat pushing them away (sometimes violently) at 3-4 months until they are a year old. Hopefully it was just her in heat hormones.
Thank you for your reply.. They're four months and one week old. She definitely had a hormonal imbalance. She would be in heat for about four days, and go out of heat for 2-3days, then back again. So she was mostly in heat, which makes her very friendly lol!! Funny thing is, the heat she had after her kittens was milder and it was two days after she went out of heat that she tried to kill them. And me!! Good thing she's only 5lbs!! Thank you so much for your help. I've been so heartbroken, and her babies too. So much so that the big one (Sinner) nurses on the little one (Saint), and they both purr up a storm!! So I've learned that spaying her daughters will help. And you think in about a year they'll be okay?? And my worry was how to reintroduce them. Thanks again for your help !!

Attachments

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why does a mother cat drive away her kittens?

Help please! Mama cat attacking her kittens

So if you haven't already I would spay/neuter everyone ASAP. You might want to give mom her own space where the kittens aren't allowed (a spare bedroom) so not all of her day is with them ... and hopefully she feels like she has her own territory until everyone's hormones/instinct levels out. I'm afraid I have experience with orphaned kittens but not a family of cats. It was so sweet of you to take them in.:goldstar: If mama cat keeps up the aggression a couple of months after everyone is fixed, I would talk to the vet. Perhaps they can prescribe something to tone her aggression down for 6 months? Please tell us how it works out? :grouphug:Her instincts are telling her she has to push them out of her territory. So her next batch of kittens can survive. (Hey I sometimes think women get menopause so their kids will leave the nest ;):crackup: )

BlueTommySue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I greatly appreciate your thanks, and your acknowledgement of my rescuing her. I feel like a jerk, and I only point this out in case it would have any bearing on the absolute best way to keep the "Queen" and her "Princesses" happy and purring. I didn't make clear that I only rescued momma, I found her 3 weeks old walking across a major roadway, all by herself. I kept her, and when she was 15 months old she had her two daughters. But it's true; if there were ten of her, I'd have brought them all home lol!! Since that very first bloodbath (mine, thank goodness, not any of theirs!!) I keep the babies in the bedroom (that's where they were born and mostly what they know) and BlueTommySue (that's Ms., to us human peasants) has the run of the house. She's extremely active and she requires 3-4 hours of serious playtime every day. With me. She used to play all day with her babies, but she was missing out on "our" time. She fetches and plays hide and seek and likes riding around on my shoulders, even my back, if I happen to reach down for any reason!! So first I'll get them spayed, as you suggest. And I will definitely get something to calm her up to, during, and as needed after the reintroduction. I can't thank you enough, for your sound advice as well as your time. I will definitely post updates. I'm thrilled; I have cat friends!! Be well, and love your cat!!