Introducing Two Cats

LuisaR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello, cat people!! I AM IN SERIOUS NEED OF HELP!! I have recently adopted a two-year-old deaf diluted tortie, and now I'm trying to introduce her to my resident cat, who is a barnyard tabby and is three years old. The first meeting didn't go well AT ALL, but recently I've noticed my resident being more interested in the new cat, however, I've tried most methods, like sentry calming collars, and feliway spray, and the new cat just won't budge. She will sit at the door and meow in a way that is almost like saying "let me out, I want to see" but the minute I crack the door open half an inch she hisses at the resident cat and changes her meow to almost a growl. The big problem that I have is that the new one is EXTREMELY uninterested in food. Like, she doesn't give a damn about it, which makes it harder to try and relate the sights of the resident cat with good things. She is shy in nature, which I guess makes it harder but, honestly I don't know what to do. I've tried playing with her, she doesn't engage, and I will not give her away.

If any of you can help me, I will be super grateful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LuisaR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This article is one of the best at describing the introduction process: How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
It hasn't been that long, and I've tried most of this, the only problem, like I said is that the new cat is so uninterested in playing or eating that it makes it hard to create the positive link between the resident cat and the activity, I'm so at a loss

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
It hasn't been that long, and I've tried most of this, the only problem, like I said is that the new cat is so uninterested in playing or eating that it makes it hard to create the positive link between the resident cat and the activity, I'm so at a loss
Is she motivated by affection from you? Maybe you can make a long petting or grooming session a reward.

LuisaR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think so, she seems to like me petting her and she always rubs herself on me looking for pets. I hadn't thought of that, my only concern is that she seems a bit on edge when she smells the resident. And since she can't hear, she bases her responses on sight and smell

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You could try getting a laser pointer. There are not many cats that are not interested in those. For a deaf cat its a perfect toy AND he might even get an advantage over the hearing cat which will be trying to listen for clues as to where the thing is going to go next. Play with both of them and even under a door or something and see if you can get both engaged.

LuisaR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The laser works wonderful with the hearing one, is just the deaf one I'm having trouble engaging, she gets super tense and just last night she sliced my hand when I tried to distract her from the door.

LuisaR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About two weeks

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Two weeks isn't really long especially when you have a former barn cat who probably had to fight for territory in the past. I would see if you can rig something like a temporary screen door or similar barrier that will allow face to face time but protection from one another. Even after they can be in the same room together you are likely to have occasional hissing or swats as they get to know one another.

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
your deaf cat has to rely on smells and the body language of your resident cat. She can smell that there's another cat, but she doesn't know if she's being approached because she can't hear your resident. It might be good if you can allow her small hiding spaces in the areas, so that she knows she isn't going to be ambushed from behind, even before you introduce them let her mark her territory and get confident in the surroundings. Meanwhile your resident cat is curious about the new kid on the block but she can't see the other one so she doesn't know if it's a friend or a foe. If you have tried all the scent swapping excercises, I'd try a switch of the base camps, take the cats out and swap them over so they can investigate the smells of the other in the opposite territory.

As others have said, a screen / mesh door might give them the opportunity to see one another face to face without the risk of a full blown stand off or a fight. If you do see them get into an altercation at any point, try not to pick either up.You might get hurt in the process.

As for your new deaf cat being frightened by the door, she again can't see the intentions of the other cat, she can only smell that there is another cat, she has to focus intently on her smells and her sight to gather information about the other cat. Make sure that she has a route away from the door to allow her to escape quickly if necesarry.

Sorry for the long post but the other things you can look at is giving them vertical territory making sure that they have spaces to get up and away from one another. This helps with the cats feeling cornered and you can actually get some pretty stylish pieces of wall furrrrniture that looks alot like modern art.

Last edited:

LuisaR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Two weeks isn't really long especially when you have a former barn cat who probably had to fight for territory in the past. I would see if you can rig something like a temporary screen door or similar barrier that will allow face to face time but protection from one another. Even after they can be in the same room together you are likely to have occasional hissing or swats as they get to know one another.
That's her breed but I got her when she was a baby, but I will definitely find a way to use a screen door

LuisaR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
your deaf cat has to rely on smells and the body language of your resident cat. She can smell that there's another cat, but she doesn't know if she's being approached because she can't hear your resident. It might be good if you can allow her small hiding spaces in the areas, so that she knows she isn't going to be ambushed from behind, even before you introduce them let her mark her territory and get confident in the surroundings. Meanwhile your resident cat is curious about the new kid on the block but she can't see the other one so she doesn't know if it's a friend or a foe. If you have tried all the scent swapping excercises, I'd try a switch of the base camps, take the cats out and swap them over so they can investigate the smells of the other in the opposite territory.

As others have said, a screen / mesh door might give them the opportunity to see one another face to face without the risk of a full blown stand off or a fight. If you do see them get into an altercation at any point, try not to pick either up.You might get hurt in the process.

As for your new deaf cat being frightened by the door, she again can't see the intentions of the other cat, she can only smell that there is another cat, she has to focus intently on her smells and her sight to gather information about the other cat. Make sure that she has a route away from the door to allow her to escape quickly if necesarry.

Sorry for the long post but the other things you can look at is giving them vertical territory making sure that they have spaces to get up and away from one another. This helps with the cats feeling cornered and you can actually get some pretty stylish pieces of wall furrrrniture that looks alot like modern art.
I've done the base camp swap, and unfortunately today the deaf one escaped while I was swapping them and my mom tried to pick her up and tore her arm to shreds which of course discouraged me A TON. I mean, I know is not that long and I have to give them time but it is sad when I see that the resident is calming down but the new one is all hyped up, the worst is I tried Bach Flowers because I read somewhere that it would be good and it only made her worst

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've done the base camp swap, and unfortunately today the deaf one escaped while I was swapping them and my mom tried to pick her up and tore her arm to shreds which of course discouraged me A TON. I mean, I know is not that long and I have to give them time but it is sad when I see that the resident is calming down but the new one is all hyped up, the worst is I tried Bach Flowers because I read somewhere that it would be good and it only made her worst

Oh no :( that doesn't sound good for your mom. Re-directed aggression can be quite a common thing when introducing two cats. It's instinct to us to pick them up, naturally, we don't want them to come in harms way and get hurt ourselves by the cat we're trying to protect. Also I don't want to make you feel bad or anything because you clearly want them to get on and be happy, but because she's deaf it can be a more frightening experience being picked up from a situation especially from behind becuase she can't see what is about to happen and it might be scary for her. If that does happen again it may be less painful on the arms to use a piece of card or an object to block the cat from the other in front so she can anticipate what's going to happen a little more she may not act out as badly. Please keep us up to date I'd really like to hear how your introductions are going.

what are Bach Flowers used for? are they a calming plant for cats?

:vibes::crossfingers:

LuisaR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh I sure hope things get better, the Bach flowers are like a calming aid for nervous animals; but I've realized that for her they don't work, and I'm not even sure the sentry collar is working all that well.

I will keep you posted on how it goes, obviously giving either away is NOT even a choice.

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
how have you got the sentry collar set up? are they passing in the same area or completely seperate?

LuisaR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, I bought two, one for each, and I keep them separate but swap where they hang half through the day so they can smell each other for a while

LuisaR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, they almost killed each other today. Genuenly scared and worried ...

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I am working on introducing a new cat (Milo) to resident cat (Waffles) (who was probably semiferal) and I've put up a doorway gate this way for room swapping:

Build a free-standing cat / dog / pet gate with virtually no tools

I like it a lot, it's much easier (and cheap to fix up) than the stacked baby gates I was using. I've noticed a difference (improvement) when they could see each other more rather than strictly under the door. I use a sheet draped over the gate so it's not total visibility yet- I'm gradually increasing the visibility to each other as they adjust. I have the wood room door closed when I'm not home behind the wire gate so no mishaps/fighting while I'm gone.

For treats, my res. cat is not food motivated, but have found 2 things that he loves- bonito (fish) flakes (can get them on Amazon, I was getting expensive ones and just discovered cheaper Japanese brand on Amazon); and I got some raw chicken liver, froze it in small portions and can shave some off with a knife for a treat. Then I can treat them both on either side of the doorway gate to get some positive experience going. New cat wolfs everything so I can treat him with anything.

It definitely can take a long time for them to adjust. It's been almost a month for me with these two, and has taken 3 1/2 weeks to see improvement. Only occasional hiss from res. cat when viewing each other through the doorway wire gate. Patience is the name of the game here.

LuisaR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
"Patience is the name of the game here." ISNT THAT THE DAMN TRUTH ! Is just scary when you actually see them fighting, yesterday I was sweeping fur for like an hour.