Introducing Two Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LuisaR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys, a little update on the two kitties ... they still hate each other, although one more than the other. I had a cat therapist come over and evaluate and she suggested putting one in a kennel and letting the other one smell her and kind of get to know her. She suggested that the most aggressive one be put in the kennel, but honestly, I don't know how to feel about this, since it feels a little bit borderline abuse. Have any of you done this, what do you think?

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feel a little uncomfortable with this suggestion just because your cats have already had a meeting and full blown contact. I crated Charlie when we introduced Charlie and Mojo, but niether were overly aggressive to one another in their prevous introductions up to that point. We used the crate to contain him in his space whilst Mojo visited, he was an 8 week old kitten though. When we did this, Mojo hissed at him and ran away. He paid no attention whatsoever because we had filled his crate with toys and treats and we'd been crating him at night so he was comfortable with this.

Forcing the cats to interact is not something that sits comfortably. If you think about it, if you have a really negative reaction with someone, say at work, at school at a shop, that really impacts your view of that environment and that person. I would think if a cat has a nasty experience with another, it would be difficult to reverse that in the same way.

That said you've sought expert advice with this cat therapist, I just wonder what their credentials are. I think she has said to put the more aggressive one in the kennel to allow them to lash out and to let your other cat run away if she wants to without the two getting hurt. Caging the aggressive cat may result in them being more agitated. To test the water if you're going to try it, crate the cat for short periods, and give treats when she is in the crate. Once she is relaxed that the crate brings good things, like food you can then possibly introduce the other but keep up the rewards.

Whatever you decide to do, proceed with caution and let us know how it goes.

~Kiss.

LuisaR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The therapist came super highly recommended, which is why I was considering but honestly you make some really good points, and I've tried keeping the doors of the base camp opened a little bit so they can smell one another but they still try to shove their little paws and hurt the other. The aggressive cat is the deaf one, and she's been in kennels for long periods of time before with no problem, but I fear that this would sort of create a trauma.

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, Maybe if you leave the crate in the deaf one's area with the door pinned open she may go into it. Perhaps she has been in kennels for so long she's potentially anxious to have more space to protect. Have you got somewhere you could put the crate in an area with some of her things in it maybe a piece of used bedding but not force her to use it. What is the deaf one like if the door is open now is she straight up to the door to investigate? away from the door low on the ground and won't turn her back?

can you describe what the cats posture is like when they are swatting is it aggressive or more playful?

LuisaR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmmm, Maybe if you leave the crate in the deaf one's area with the door pinned open she may go into it. Perhaps she has been in kennels for so long she's potentially anxious to have more space to protect. Have you got somewhere you could put the crate in an area with some of her things in it maybe a piece of used bedding but not force her to use it. What is the deaf one like if the door is open now is she straight up to the door to investigate? away from the door low on the ground and won't turn her back?

can you describe what the cats posture is like when they are swatting is it aggressive or more playful?
So she doesn't have a problem with the crate AT ALL, she goes in and out, even naps in there sometimes. In regards to the door, she mostly spends the time, when it's closed, super close to the door, crouched or laying there; when I open, her behaviour is more aggressive than playful, the one that's resident does turn her back and even gives her the slow blink, but this one is like "nope, not gonna get that from me mate". I've watched a couple of videos of cats playing just to get an idea of how it's like, but this is NOTHING like that at all. I think that the more I let them see each other the less they will hiss and all that, but I don't know if that's accurate. The thing that is most concerning to me is that since both of them are adult cats, maybe the process is meant to take longer.

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry I didn't see your reply until now. Yes, if they were both kittens they'd likely be a little easier to introduce.

It's hard to tell without seeing the cat but it sounds like your new cat is standing guard at the moment.

Your new cat probably needs to spend a little more time investigating areas of the house one room at a time. Your resident has rubbed her own smell on everything and it's all hers right now. We talked about the scent swapping before. Use some bedding with your new cat for a few days, wait until she has definately marked it by sleeping on it or rubbing it. Then put those items in one room - the one beyond her door. Shut your resident out of that room and drape the bedding over the furniture so that her scent is in the room, then open the door. Let her explore that room, with her scents in it. She will obviously still be able to smell your resident, but she should be able to smell herself too. She should gradually investigate her own smells, then areas her smell isn't in.

I feel it could be beneficial to hide some treats around, a mix in areas you have the bedding and areas you don't. When you're satisfied she has explored these areas, close that area off to her so your resident can come back in put some treat on the areas your new cat has her scent. I don't think you need to remove the bedding, your resident sounds more confident with the new arrival than vice versa.

You don't need to buy anything special for this process, towels sheets and cardboard all soak up the cat's individual scent very well.

You may also introduce a small piece of your residents bedding into the new cats area after a few visits, when she's looking more confident than before.

I think your new cat is so used to being in a smaller area since she's been in kennels for a long time the crate is like a comfort to her. When you are ready to open the door to the next room, giving her the crate should give her a safe spot she can retreat to, but I personally still would not force a direct interaction by trapping either cat in a crate. It's up to you what you do of course. I cannot stress enough that it's only my opinion. You know the cats. We do not.