Introducing Mowie!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I've posted many times over the years about our 3 Amigos--Rico, Ozzy, and Zoe, all adopted from the SPCA about 13 years ago. Sadly, we've lost both Rico (on the left in this photo) and Zoe, on the right. Our last amigo is Ozzy, 13 years old now. He's been an only child since last December when Zoe died and we've been debating about whether to leave him as a single cat or get him a companion.

Zoe Rico Ozzy.jpeg

I follow our local SPCA page on Facebook and last week they featured a 14 year old female kitty named Mow-mow who had recently been surrendered after her owner died. Yesterday I went to meet her and of course brought her home with me. :)

She's decompressing in our Cat Room now. We'll slowly let her explore the house and she's already getting to know Ozzy through the screen doors. Neither of them have hissed at each other or seemed distressed so far. Hopefully this will be a smooth introduction, and Mowie and Ozzy will get to be buddies.:dance:

At the SPCA. She's a tiny little thing, just 7 lbs. but pretty feisty for her age. She jumps and runs and was playing with the cat wand toy.
IMG_9918.JPG

At our house, exploring the fun things to climb.
IMG_9925.JPG

IMG_9935.JPG

Ozzy checking out the new kid:
IMG_9932.JPG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
You'd never know Mowie is 14. She loves to jump and was able to jump up on my 4' tall dresser!

We're going to take it nice and slow, introducing her to different rooms in the house first and then we'll work more on introductions with Ozzy. He knows there's another cat in the house but doesn't seem to perturbed about it. Luckily we can have them see each other through that screen door on the kitchen patio to get them used to seeing each other.

We let her out on the patio yesterday and she loved rolling around on the warm stones.

IMG_9955 9.05.43 AM.JPG

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
We'll be curious to hear updates on her and Ozzy but so far so good.:crossfingers:
We're taking it slowly! She finally got brave enough to leave her safe room today and explore around the house a bit. She and Ozzy have seen each other through screen doors, and have actually got pretty close to each other that way, but no 'in person' meetings yet.

IMG_0104.JPG

IMG_0107.JPG

IMG_0108.JPG

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
How wonderful! I’ve often thought my aging solo cat sometimes has a faraway look, as if missing his mom. I can’t prove it though. Good for you, and can’t wait to hear what happens.

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
We had our first meet and greet today. Mowie and Ozzy have been getting to know each other through a screen door. Today Mowie was in the TV room with me, and Ozzy was on the other side of the door wanting in. I opened the door a crack, they sniffed noses with no hissing or growling so I opened the door all the way. Ozzy sat there calmly. Mowie ran past him back into the cat room.

Ozzy followed and I let him in there where they checked each other out for a few minutes and there was no fussing between them. I decided to quit while we were ahead and took Ozzy back out, with copious treats for both of them for being such good kitties.

Great start. :clapcat:

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
Ozzy and Mowie are lizard watching together this morning. Mowie's got the run of the house now. She's a lot more confident than when she first arrived, though she can still be fairly skittish. There's still some hissing and swiping between her and Ozzy, and he likes to steal her food just to show her who's boss, but really they're doing pretty well.

IMG_0706.JPG

IMG_0708.JPG

IMG_0709.JPG

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
Update on Mowie! She's been with us for seven months now and is doing great. She and Ozzy are getting along fine. She still swipes at him sometimes if he startles her but otherwise, they're good. She can still be a bit skittish and definitely isn't a lap cat but will now let us pet her, pick her up and hold her (briefly). :lol:

I'm so happy we brought her home. She's a doll. :hearthrob:

IMG_2423.JPG

IMG_2560.JPG

IMG_2650.JPG

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
Update on Mowie--she's been with us 10 months now. She really is the queen of the castle now. She's found all the warm places to hang out and how to get the maximum number of treats from dad with that cute little 'please daddy' look in her eye. :lol: She still hisses at Ozzy now and then if he startles her but a couple of days ago, this happened.

They often sleep near each other on the couch, but this time, Ozzy rested his head on her and Mowie was fine with it. So cute. :hearthrob:
IMG_3541.JPG