Introducing cat to two kittens

cat lover 360

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay so I've had our cat Max for about 3 to 4 weeks now he is settling in well he is kept in the room mostly for now as he is still getting used to everything and we are still in recession of moving furniture etc in to house. He is very playful and seems to be very active. He sheds like crazy and loves getting a brush or bring played with with his cat dancer. He is eating well and lives to sleep but ever since we introduced him into the kittens he hides away under the covers of his room more than ever under pillows and cover not sure if he is hiding or if he likes comfort and warmth or bring under the remaining he is always seeming friendly ears up and receptive time stroking playing and cuddling when we approach him. The kittens are 9 weeks old nearly ten. Playful active and curious getting into everything. When they first arrived we didn't know about properijdrocusctions and have nothing to separate the doors with like if we open doors nothing to separate the cats from flying for each other.

What we did was we put our kittens wrappear into a blanket to try make them seem like babies and not threateningmuch he responded well but his mouth moved up as if he was gonna growl but think it was just him smelling things. Do then we put the kittens blanket into Maxs room and he slept with it curled up so positive sign.

The kittens have a pop up tent bed which Maxs pillow for him to sleep in is in there and the kittens got used to it quick.

We then took a next step and after introducing each cat separately to the house and giving them time to explore we let the doors open and hot max out and opened the door to the kittens room but max was too quick he got into their room saw them and froze curled up with tail curled around body extremely low ( to appear less threatening or protective I don't know) he stayed at doorway for the whole introduction our confident kitten Jasper made his way over to him slowly and then max didn't move just looked at him so jasper moved closer again reached his pay out to max then moved closer and they sniffed each other and max let jasper sniff his nose. Them jasper slowly mic 3d to go past naxos and went out the door to the hall he 3xplored a bit and max didn't bother until jasper started walking on Maxs mat he used to use for food but doesn't use anymore. Max turned to look at Jasper and then growled very low and hissed. We got scared and picked the kittens up careful not to upstairs max and coaxed max to his room to get food. We have been also introduced invoice their sets to each other by clapping one then going in to clap the other. Should we have interviewed when max growled and hissed or let it play out? We were just concerned for our kittens safety and Maxs happiness as well how can we make sure the introductions go safely and that they have a positive experience associated with them? what can I do to make sure that mac doesn't feel replaced and he accepts them as part of his family or St leat tolerates them? I don't want them to keep in rooms for too long I want them all to be able to go in any room of the house they want

Thanks guys in very new at owning kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat lover 360

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
also should mention max was bullied by a dog at his previous home he had to be revoked that night effect his behaviour. How can I try to help him not hid under covers and such as muxh? Can I help it and should I help it? Is he just enjoying the comfort of it or is he not feeling safe or secure. I try to spend an hour st least with him each hmdqy just one on one time brushing stroking and playing with him

cat lover 360

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
3 or 4 days we left them both to get used to new smells etc

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A week probably would have been better. You'll just have to be patient. Max will eventually get used to them.

cat lover 360

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are still in their separate rooms because of the way max acTed we are scared to do it again and do it safely without him hurting them which I don't think he will do honestly. Ever since he met them all he does is hide. When should we try again and how long should we make the meetings last?

How can I make sure he feels safe and gets used to them in the best possible way? All maxis does is hide and sleep undress covers etc and I'm worried

Last edited by a moderator:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi @cat lover 360 ..

Introductions are a big thing with cats.  They really need to be done really slowly and/or at their own pace.

You can always start again, even when cats have been together for quite a while.

We have a really extensive article on how to go about this, and it's well worth a read.

[article="32680"]How To Successfully Introduce Cats The Ultimate Guide​[/article]  

The thing is to be patient.

Also have you heard of Feliway diffusers and sprays?  They mimic the pheromones of cats and can be useful in introductions.

cat lover 360

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've heard of feliwqy but need so save money for vet bills and microchip etc so will lory proper introduction first but um i don't have anything to separate them where they can see each other

cat lover 360

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm also very worried about Maxs reaction since meeting kittens. He has been hiding a lot under covers and pillows. He doesn't really play anymore with this one toy he used to love l but aside from that he is a happy cat always purring and happy to be clapped bug won't approach you for any affection but happy to recieve. Should I he worried about the constant hiding under pillows and covers? Is it just a comfort thing?

cat lover 360

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've just been made homeless and had to move in with my family members I csnt separate the cats like I had been doing when I lived somewhere else so now my 4 year old cat is in the same room as my two kittens. He was slowly getting introduced to then but as I've been made homeless they have to stay in the one room together. Max hides constantly under covers he never comes out only occasionally and is possessive over his food the kittens are bold and will go over and take food from his bowl but when 5hey went to do it max hissed and low growled so they backed away. Max haslike touched noses and sniffed both kittens and seems fine unless they go near his stuff. But he always lies tail curled round him looks angry or upset and sometimes has a flicking tip I'd his tail he hides away 24/7 and I've had to put his bowl of food right next to him on the bed for him as I don't want any fighting between him and kittensm their food is separated from each other but there's only two litter trays there and they are both right next to each other. How can I make this horrible situation better. We only got max a month ago and the kittens 3 weeks ago so theycere getting used to their surroundings then had to move againm I am currently waiting on getting temporary accommodation and permanent accommodation but need to find somewhere that accepts animals as I'm not giving them up unless I physically can't keep them anymore. I have Autism so they help me deal with eveeythijg in life. Please let me know how to help them cope with this situation so I can keep the kittens other of harms way and reduce Maxs stress level

cat lover 360

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Max has also been swiping at the kittens if they coke near him and hissing at them and occasionally growling at themmy I'm so worried to leave them alone together I've had to lock the kittens in room as they keep touching Maxs litter box and food. Max has has 3 moves in past month and is not neutered neither are kittens I was hoping max to accept them gradually but he's not seeing to. I'm worried about them all getting along the kittens are 11 weeks old. I shall try to keep letting them spend some time together and supervise if I felt the kittens or max get too stressed or chart one another then I willseparate them again

Last edited:

cat lover 360

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really need someone to respond ASAP if possible as I am homeless living with a fsmily member and need to decide quickly. My dad who I'm living eith might take max but if so my kittens would need to be locked in my room until I get outta there once I can find a house as ma just hisses at them and hurts them

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old are the kittens? Max not being fixed is a huge problem here. I don't think he will accept them as is. If he can have access to the rest of the house I think that would help a lot.

cat lover 360

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Max has been given to my dad to look after him long term so I will still have access to him I don't think it'd fsir on him to put stress on him getting used to kittens but since my dad has took him permanently we will keep them separated untik I can get a place to live. My dad has owned cats so max is in good hands. He's a tually taken to my dad better than me to be quite honest I'm happy leaving him there with him.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Max has been given to my dad to look after him long term so I will still have access to him I don't think it'd fsir on him to put stress on him getting used to kittens but since my dad has took him permanently we will keep them separated untik I can get a place to live. My dad has owned cats so max is in good hands. He's a tually taken to my dad better than me to be quite honest I'm happy leaving him there with him.
Will your dad be able to get him neutered?

How old are the kittens?

cat lover 360

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My dad will get him to a vet and neutered yes. I would rather he go to a cat lover like my dad than a stranger. My dad will get max sorted and get everything for him he's got most things for him. I'm sad to see him go but I know I can see him often. He's got a lot of years left in him and is a loveable sweet cat so I'm glad that my dad is taking him he was looking for a cat anyway. It means there's no stress with max and the kittens as all he did was hiss and scratch at them and I don't want him to be in constant stress

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you have found a solution, I am so happy for Max and you that your dad is taking him in. It's nice that you will be able to see him Being a tom and not neutered is not a good life, and he will be much calmer and much less aggressive when he is fixed. I pray you will find much happiness with your two little ones! I have found that most posts that don't get answered right away is because there is a time difference. One poster was disappointed her post wasn't getting answered until I pointed out it was 4 in the morning here and not many people get up that early, except for me! All the luck, and keep us posted on how everyone is doing!

cat lover 360

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for replying sorry if I seemed rude or anything I was just worried and desperate for advise but I realise now it was 10 pm when I posted. Max is perfectly good he's absolutely fine and the kittens are doing good they are growing very fast very active and playful so I do my best to keep them occupied and make sure they havery something to play with. They are very loving and their personalities are showing through very strongly. Just my daily struggle is to keep anything that they could hurt themselves out of the way. I have a bike in there they got bike oil on them ( I washed it off ) they play with curtains so try to avoid that so it doesn't fall on them and I try to make sure the blinds don't hurt them also. Both are lovely cats and I have made an appointment for mid next week at the vets to get them a check up and vaccinations.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for replying sorry if I seemed rude or anything I was just worried and desperate for advise but I realise now it was 10 pm when I posted. Max is perfectly good he's absolutely fine and the kittens are doing good they are growing very fast very active and playful so I do my best to keep them occupied and make sure they havery something to play with. They are very loving and their personalities are showing through very strongly. Just my daily struggle is to keep anything that they could hurt themselves out of the way. I have a bike in there they got bike oil on them ( I washed it off ) they play with curtains so try to avoid that so it doesn't fall on them and I try to make sure the blinds don't hurt them also. Both are lovely cats and I have made an appointment for mid next week at the vets to get them a check up and vaccinations.
How old are they? Are they boys or girls? We'd love to see photos!

cat lover 360

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are 11 weeks old now just turned. They are growing so big had them since they were 8 weeks old. Only issue I'm having is I live on the ground floor and they claw up the curtains to get place each in worried that the curtain rail will fall down so tied curtain up that fixed that but now have access to blinds at window. Since I'm staying at my dads temporarily the blinds are the blinds you pull with a pull cord ( it's all good it's not in a loop) but blinds have little beads things on either side of each separate blind to pull them all at once and buddy's neck got csught in one only for a few seconds before I lifted him out more good boy Judy went stuff and hung there lpregnant while I pulled him out. Any ideas ? Put down curtains again? Best is right next to window as it's very tiny room so they can jump or climb onto curtains but safer than getting caught in blinds. I'm terrified to leave them alone now.