Introducing Cash the Puppy and Terra the Cat

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So my roommate’s mother recently bought a rambunctious pit bull pubby named Cash. My roommate has him over all the time, and it’s stressing poor Terra out. Would it be feasible at this point to do an introduction? If so, how should I go about it? My roommate’s mother wants to use the growl it out method while leaving them alone together. Is this a good idea? Cash is 10 months old and Terra is 10 years old and has never been around puppies.

What’s a good way to go about introducing them in a safe and effective manner?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is Cash going to be living with you permanently? Or just a frequent visitor? If just a visitor, I'm not sure if even following the formal introduction steps would be successful, since there'd be periods of time when they would be apart. Would keeping Terra in a bedroom when Cash visits be doable?

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you and the roommate work out rules regarding the visiting dog? Like, you need to be notified in advanced of the dog so you have time to put your cat in the bedroom for the duration of the dog visit. Or a stricter rule like the dog is not allowed in the apartment at all because it causes your cat to be stressed out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I live in adult fost care due to being legally blind and my roommate is actually my caregiver. He flst out refusee to compromise on the matter, and is in his mid 20s, so he can be rather immature at times. Thing is, he hàs all the power here. The best I can do is complain to his mother (his boss), and it waa her idea to do an introduction.

Terra hates being cooped up in my room, but prefers it over the presence of Cash. If he were over here less frequently, I’d be cool with that, but my roommate refuses to budge. It’s really quite maddening.

Last edited:

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds like your roomie is taking advantage of the situation. An accommodation that works for everyone needs to be reached, human, cat and dog alike.

A lot depends on how well the dog is trained. If he's not disciplined enough to behave in the presence of a cat, he shouldn't be around cats. That's not a compromise, that's plain common sense.

If the situation were reversed and the cat terrorizing the dog, that wouldn't be right for the dog. Why is it ok for the dog to terrorize the cat?

If I understand your situation correctly, your roomie is paid to be your caregiver, yes?

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, he is.

In any event, I was able to achieve a successful introduction. Cash behaved himself an didn’t make any aggressive gestures toward Terra, whie I waa able to get Terra FAR access the challenge line with treats and soothing words. Cash behaved himself and Terra didn’t hiss at him. Cash is also starting to learn and accept that my room is off limits to him.

Don’t misunderstand, I wuv Cash and love having him around, I was just not cool with the effect being cooped ip was having on Terra.

She’s still a bit skittish around him, but doesn’t provoke him by hissing Cash in turn stays out of Terra’s territory.

As for my roommate, it’s not all bad. He’s just young, immature, and still coping with the loss of Riggs, his dog since childhood.

Last edited:

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am well aware that the stereotypes surrounding pit bulls are exactly that. I used to volunteer at the Humane Society, where I bonded with a female pit bull named Nina. She was an absolute sweetie, and I would have gladly adopted her if my circumstances had permitted it. I trust the mainstream media about as far as I could kick its ass on a muddy day.

As has been said before, Cash is only an occasional guest here. Terra has never hissed at him, but will likely need a few more positive interactions with him before she begins to feel comfortable around him.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree the media only covers the negative sides of most stories, and once a stereotype gets stuck in one's head, it's harder to get past it. But if Cash is properly trained as to how to behave around cats, he and Terra just might become friends. Good luck.

Meanwhile, here's the TCS article on introducing cats and dogs, if you or your roommate want to read:
How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog – TheCatSite Articles