Introducing Betty White

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well there we go. I lifted her off my lap at shift change. Time to commute. And she continued off the pillow stack to her food dish. So hopefully her stomach isn’t in spasm after her regurg and that whatever she eats right now stays down. I’m sitting very quietly in the chair waiting for her to finish before I get up and potentially distract her. 🤦🏼‍♂️😹🐷🐾

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well shoot! That didn't stay down.
:barf:
Poor girl. I picked up her breakfast plate and we'll try again in a few hours. I'm not sure she needs the whole day of tummy rest. But we'll give her a few hours.

I didn't turn off the fountains and she did just load up again. 🤦‍♂️

She may not be done with the spits this morning.😿

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No new spits. Yet.

I thought she did this last week but I don't see it. I was thinking it might be related to the team Teams meeting which got shifted to 7am on Tuesdays to fit in three very different time zones. (The others being +9 and +12.5 hours.) Maybe she didn't feel like coming out of bed because of all the meeting noise or because I didn't get out of bed myself. I will see about taking next week's meeting in the office. There's a fine daybed in there that I can go back to sleep on which I frequently do with such an early meeting that rarely involves me.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For one reason or another, Betty didn’t take her breakfast when she usually does. I offered her eats before treats while I was cooking my breakfast: a couple of kibble pieces. She waited around for her usual treat when I set the first microwave timer. Okay. You did just have a couple eats. Maybe the treat will stimulate you to visit the breakfast plate. Nope. She remembered her taproom treats. So in short order she ate four kibbles and two treats. And shortly after leaping into my lap while I ate my breakfast, she jumped down and made those awful moans. I’m guessing she just had too much dry food/treats at once without any moisture/wet food. She had a tiny regurgitation of those kibbles and treats. 😿 She’s now resting peacefully in my lap. Poor girl. Hopefully her ship will right soon and maybe she’ll eat a few bites of breakfast proper before I have to change it out for lunch. Calling this a regurgitation. Not a hairball or a food vomit.
That happens here, too, sometimes.
C'mon, Betty girl! have a rest and hope the next go around stays in the cat, where it belongs! ;) :cheerleader::goodluck::vibes::hearthrob::kneading::hearthrob:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Betty took her own tummy rest and emerged sufficiently hungry around 4 pm to finish the half lunch I put out for her. I put out a 3/4 portion for dinner which she did well with that too.

I got an emergency refill of her gabapentin last night. I called earlier in the day saying it felt like I was at the end of the bottle. By dinner, I was sucking air. I made my own suspension with a capsule. Then I called the vet back and asked how if the refill was ready since I pulled my last dose. She texted the doc on her off day and the doc even approved a 60 mL size. Great! I can actually get a month out of this bottle instead of having to return in two weeks.

While I was there, I went to make Betty’s rabies vaccine appointment that we skipped last year. I learned our favorite new doc at the VCA has moved on to another practice too far away for us. 😿 I made an appointment with the old doc even though the rabies vaccine could be a tech appointment. I figure it’s been awhile (maybe a year?) since old doc has seen Betty. Amazingly, I got an appointment for next Monday. I was expecting something a month out.

Hopefully this rain will let up by Monday.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Betty took her own tummy rest and emerged sufficiently hungry around 4 pm to finish the half lunch I put out for her. I put out a 3/4 portion for dinner which she did well with that too.

I got an emergency refill of her gabapentin last night. I called earlier in the day saying it felt like I was at the end of the bottle. By dinner, I was sucking air. I made my own suspension with a capsule. Then I called the vet back and asked how if the refill was ready since I pulled my last dose. She texted the doc on her off day and the doc even approved a 60 mL size. Great! I can actually get a month out of this bottle instead of having to return in two weeks.

While I was there, I went to make Betty’s rabies vaccine appointment that we skipped last year. I learned our favorite new doc at the VCA has moved on to another practice too far away for us. 😿 I made an appointment with the old doc even though the rabies vaccine could be a tech appointment. I figure it’s been awhile (maybe a year?) since old doc has seen Betty. Amazingly, I got an appointment for next Monday. I was expecting something a month out.

Hopefully this rain will let up by Monday.
You undoubtedly know that many recommend the 3-year interval for the rabies vax, especially for indoor cats not at risk? And you must have reasons for not choosing this. So, just sayin' ;)
That's too bad about your favorite doc. Empathizing, as that's happened to me as well.
Great about the gaba! and Betty's good appetite! :kneading::hearthrob::goldstar:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You undoubtedly know that many recommend the 3-year interval for the rabies vax, especially for indoor cats not at risk? And you must have reasons for not choosing this. So, just sayin' ;)
That's too bad about your favorite doc. Empathizing, as that's happened to me as well.
Great about the gaba! and Betty's good appetite! :kneading::hearthrob::goldstar:
Last year we skipped it because she had just come off the dental. She was taking a long time to recover like she did this time. I didn't want to throw another thing that was going to make her feel bad (even if just for a day or three) while she still wasn't back to good after those extractions. It was also an easy ask considering her suspected IBD and the ongoing treatment for that. Her old doc, which I guess is now her current doc, didn't bat an eye at the request and wrote the note for the city that she didn't think Betty was quite up to it this year and we would revisit it next year. This year, she's in much better shape. I'll expect a down day or two like when I get vaccines. I never meant to put the vax off indefinitely. But I wanted to skip that year until Betty's health was more stable. Now that it is, we'll be getting it this year. And then she can go three years before her next smog certificate is due. 😹

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last year we skipped it because she had just come off the dental. She was taking a long time to recover like she did this time. I didn't want to throw another thing that was going to make her feel bad (even if just for a day or three) while she still wasn't back to good after those extractions. It was also an easy ask considering her suspected IBD and the ongoing treatment for that. Her old doc, which I guess is now her current doc, didn't bat an eye at the request and wrote the note for the city that she didn't think Betty was quite up to it this year and we would revisit it next year. This year, she's in much better shape. I'll expect a down day or two like when I get vaccines. I never meant to put the vax off indefinitely. But I wanted to skip that year until Betty's health was more stable. Now that it is, we'll be getting it this year. And then she can go three years before her next smog certificate is due. 😹
Good. :hearthrob: :kneading: :hearthrob: ;)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She’s such a good cat. She woke up when I fixed her lunch. She sat semi-hidden until she was sure I wasn’t coming after her with medicine. I set her plate down and went back to work. I wasn’t quite in a spot where I could break for lunch myself. She came into the office and watched me for a minute or two. I said hello and that it would be a few moments before I could take a break. She turned around, made a healthy first pass on lunch, and climbed back under the blankets for her (first) afternoon nap. I might see her again before 4pm. I do miss Krista’s way of jumping onto the desk and parking herself in what I called her filling station: the space between me and keyboard that she wasn’t moving from until she had her fill of loving attention. Betty thinks my desk is too cluttered for her. That never bothered Krista. But Betty seems more polite in that regard. When she really wants attention, she’ll show up at my feet meowing. But most of the time, she seems to understand my working hours. 😼👍

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She’s such a good cat. She woke up when I fixed her lunch. She sat semi-hidden until she was sure I wasn’t coming after her with medicine. I set her plate down and went back to work. I wasn’t quite in a spot where I could break for lunch myself. She came into the office and watched me for a minute or two. I said hello and that it would be a few moments before I could take a break. She turned around, made a healthy first pass on lunch, and climbed back under the blankets for her (first) afternoon nap. I might see her again before 4pm. I do miss Krista’s way of jumping onto the desk and parking herself in what I called her filling station: the space between me and keyboard that she wasn’t moving from until she had her fill of loving attention. Betty thinks my desk is too cluttered for her. That never bothered Krista. But Betty seems more polite in that regard. When she really wants attention, she’ll show up at my feet meowing. But most of the time, she seems to understand my working hours. 😼👍
Awww, Betty's so well-behaved! That's amazing. :catlove:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Betty demolished breakfast so she gets a pass on the light lunch.

It's her gotcha day. Or her former birthday as Chewy reminds me. I saw this birthday card in the mailbox. I'm like, "my birthday isn't until June." I flip it over. It's from Chewy. Oh it's for Betty. In early days, I was using her gotcha day as her birthday. But somewhere last year I switched over to using her namesake's birthday, January 17.

She's spent most of her gotcha day doing what she does best.
:zzzcat:

Now I will change out her dinner, give her another shot of the foul, and hopefully I can wrap up my day earlier today to give her more time before bedtime. Lately, the office radiator turns on for a few hours from 8 to 11:45 so that she has a warm office to sleep in. I sleep better in a colder living room. So we've been sleeping in different rooms until sometime late in the morning when there's no food left on her plate but she's too polite to wake me for breakfast. In these cases, she simply tries to slip into bed with me until I wake up. She'll either try to sleep on my head or pick a spoon. The upshot of all of this is that usually between when I plate second dinner and I finish brushing my teeth, she'll take her first pass and then go to the office to sleep. My nom goblin comes out while I'm sleeping to do her noms and her gobblin'. I often don't see her until morning. Sometimes I'll hear her singing in the shower. That's one new things she's started to do. She'll go into the shower and start meowing. Since she's not a recent divorcee, I don't think she's crying in the shower. I prefer to think of her testing the acoustics. 🎤😽

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Betty demolished breakfast so she gets a pass on the light lunch.

It's her gotcha day. Or her former birthday as Chewy reminds me. I saw this birthday card in the mailbox. I'm like, "my birthday isn't until June." I flip it over. It's from Chewy. Oh it's for Betty. In early days, I was using her gotcha day as her birthday. But somewhere last year I switched over to using her namesake's birthday, January 17.

She's spent most of her gotcha day doing what she does best.
:zzzcat:

Now I will change out her dinner, give her another shot of the foul, and hopefully I can wrap up my day earlier today to give her more time before bedtime. Lately, the office radiator turns on for a few hours from 8 to 11:45 so that she has a warm office to sleep in. I sleep better in a colder living room. So we've been sleeping in different rooms until sometime late in the morning when there's no food left on her plate but she's too polite to wake me for breakfast. In these cases, she simply tries to slip into bed with me until I wake up. She'll either try to sleep on my head or pick a spoon. The upshot of all of this is that usually between when I plate second dinner and I finish brushing my teeth, she'll take her first pass and then go to the office to sleep. My nom goblin comes out while I'm sleeping to do her noms and her gobblin'. I often don't see her until morning. Sometimes I'll hear her singing in the shower. That's one new things she's started to do. She'll go into the shower and start meowing. Since she's not a recent divorcee, I don't think she's crying in the shower. I prefer to think of her testing the acoustics. 🎤😽
😆ROFLMTO! Angel Sammi and sometimes angel Maryam used to lay on the tiles in the shower on hot days. But singing? Never. Your Betty is quite a talent! And she deserves a birthday AND a Gotcha/Adoptiversary Day, don't you agree? :hearthrob::cutecat::hearthrob::goldstar::bday::celebrate::bunnydance::party::party2::party3::jester: As long as they come with extra helpings of love and PURRhaps an extra treat or two...:catlove:I empathize about the sleeping situation. It's great that Betty has the option of the warm office AND the spooning!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning’s dose went poorly. Betty was extra squirmy at the moment I just needed her to open up. Oops! I usually tell her open up and I didn’t this morning. I guess some of this morning is on me. So anyway. At the crucial moment, it seems like the dose somehow bounced off something (teeth? chin? nose?) and did not make it in her. I visually saw it bounce. I can’t say for sure that none got in her. But some did not. I hope she got enough. I make it a point to let her see me coming with the syringe and the cup so that she knows when this is happening and doesn’t learn to fear me or feeding time. It seems to work. She’s always very quick to forgive me. She’s sleeping hard on me now. I’m still stinkin over the morning fowl and she’s hopefully dreaming of breakfast.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning’s dose went poorly. Betty was extra squirmy at the moment I just needed her to open up. Oops! I usually tell her open up and I didn’t this morning. I guess some of this morning is on me. So anyway. At the crucial moment, it seems like the dose somehow bounced off something (teeth? chin? nose?) and did not make it in her. I visually saw it bounce. I can’t say for sure that none got in her. But some did not. I hope she got enough. I make it a point to let her see me coming with the syringe and the cup so that she knows when this is happening and doesn’t learn to fear me or feeding time. It seems to work. She’s always very quick to forgive me. She’s sleeping hard on me now. I’m still stinkin over the morning fowl and she’s hopefully dreaming of breakfast.
*Hopefully!*
We had a bit of a bad time last night when I ran into Elvis in the dark. He ran off and hid under the bed for hours. He'd already been there for hours in the morning/afternoon when our former roomies came to visit. My sweet talk and trying to coax him out to eat his favorite dinner fell on deaf ears, but he finally came out and ate, and all seems to be forgiven. My bad for not turning on a light before going across the room!
So, yeah, stuff happens.
But they are very forgiving, aren't they? :heartshape::clap:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like I have to trim the A/D mix. Her weight is on the rise now.
D331294C-31C5-4E19-9A58-AADEA09A21D1.jpeg 5DF364C4-9BCB-4A36-A823-B3E9066908DE.jpeg 4AAAE2E6-4116-4A9D-9A5C-421DAD5FDAB2.jpeg
Also breakfast is clean like she didn’t need that dose after all. Good thing I’m talking to doctor tomorrow. Maybe I’ll see about trimming that mix too. Maybe hemp oil alone can do all the heavy lifting.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like I have to trim the A/D mix. Her weight is on the rise now.
View attachment 469065View attachment 469066View attachment 469067
Also breakfast is clean like she didn’t need that dose after all. Good thing I’m talking to doctor tomorrow. Maybe I’ll see about trimming that mix too. Maybe hemp oil alone can do all the heavy lifting.
Wouldn't that be great? Hoping!
Yes, Betty's gained a bit, but her coat is lustrous and she's looking very lovely! :clap2::goldstar::hearthrob::kneading::hearthrob:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seems our dinner dose bounced too. I told her open up and she did and I thought I got the syringe in her mouth before the pop. But I got a splash and she let out a sad MMRRow. So maybe we both got some. 🤦🏼‍♂️

She’s been laying with me through parts of two football games today.
ECEA6415-7850-421B-8CB6-646E725F0FBC.jpeg
Lions be lyin. 🦁

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seems our dinner dose bounced too. I told her open up and she did and I thought I got the syringe in her mouth before the pop. But I got a splash and she let out a sad MMRRow. So maybe we both got some. 🤦🏼‍♂️

She’s been laying with me through parts of two football games today.
View attachment 469103
Lions be lyin. 🦁
Living room lions. And bed lions. :lolup: 🦁