Introducing Betty White

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually. I think the old vet wanted her to lose another half pound from here the last time she saw her. I’d be satisfied if she just doesn’t gain from here.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually. I think the old vet wanted her to lose another half pound from here the last time she saw her. I’d be satisfied if she just doesn’t gain from here.
I agree 100% with you. Looking at the middle pic, from on high, it's clear that Betty now has that perfect cat hourglass shape. She doesn't need to lose more.
Give that cat a Greenie. :agree: :hearthrob::cutecat::hearthrob::clap::goldstar:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree 100% with you. Looking at the middle pic, from on high, it's clear that Betty now has that perfect cat hourglass shape. She doesn't need to lose more.
Give that cat a Greenie. :agree: :hearthrob::cutecat::hearthrob::clap::goldstar:
Betty doesn’t get wide. She just adds to her snack pack. I can relate. 🤦🏼‍♂️😹

She got a Greenie with her weigh-in. 😺👍

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One side effect, for better or worse, of the Ripple Rug is that Betty's claws stick in it. That's the first time I noticed Betty's claws were getting caught when she walked. After that, it became more obvious and I could see they were even sticking a little in the carpet. How much of her Eeyore walking has been her claws sticking?

I noticed the other morning that Betty goes part ragdoll when I lift her off my lap as long as her bum or back feet are supported. And I saw somewhere (probably YouTube) some woman's solo unassisted cat claw clipping technique. I was able to get at Betty's claws, and have her mostly cooperate--there was a little squirming--and we got through all four paws. First we sat in the chair with the ottoman. Then I lifted her front half up and leaned her back against me, belly out. With her leaned back into my arm/chest cradle, I was able to get at all four paws without much struggle to restrain her. I was able to use one hand to get at the paws and claws and the other to cut them with a nail trimmer. Because honestly, my eyes suck at this and Betty is too impatient to try to use specific cat claw trimmers. Mr. Pirate's vet guardian from Vancouver (the "squish the cat" guy on YouTube) is the one who gave me the idea to use human nail trimmers. It's what I'm most adept at using anyway. If it's good enough for Mr. Pirate, it's good enough for Betty White. I'm not sure if we got the dew claws. But we certainly got her coke nails. The "pinkie" nail on both front paws was remarkably long and curved. I gave her a brief brushing afterwards since she was in my lap already, she was shedding up a storm from the stress, and brushing calms her. Then it was treat time! I got her rabbit meat treat and walked her around the Ripple Rug with the treat in my fist. Silence. No sticking! Hooray! It only took me 20 months to figure out how to cut my cat's nails.
🤦‍♂️
:petcat::clapcat:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One side effect, for better or worse, of the Ripple Rug is that Betty's claws stick in it. That's the first time I noticed Betty's claws were getting caught when she walked. After that, it became more obvious and I could see they were even sticking a little in the carpet. How much of her Eeyore walking has been her claws sticking?

I noticed the other morning that Betty goes part ragdoll when I lift her off my lap as long as her bum or back feet are supported. And I saw somewhere (probably YouTube) some woman's solo unassisted cat claw clipping technique. I was able to get at Betty's claws, and have her mostly cooperate--there was a little squirming--and we got through all four paws. First we sat in the chair with the ottoman. Then I lifted her front half up and leaned her back against me, belly out. With her leaned back into my arm/chest cradle, I was able to get at all four paws without much struggle to restrain her. I was able to use one hand to get at the paws and claws and the other to cut them with a nail trimmer. Because honestly, my eyes suck at this and Betty is too impatient to try to use specific cat claw trimmers. Mr. Pirate's vet guardian from Vancouver (the "squish the cat" guy on YouTube) is the one who gave me the idea to use human nail trimmers. It's what I'm most adept at using anyway. If it's good enough for Mr. Pirate, it's good enough for Betty White. I'm not sure if we got the dew claws. But we certainly got her coke nails. The "pinkie" nail on both front paws was remarkably long and curved. I gave her a brief brushing afterwards since she was in my lap already, she was shedding up a storm from the stress, and brushing calms her. Then it was treat time! I got her rabbit meat treat and walked her around the Ripple Rug with the treat in my fist. Silence. No sticking! Hooray! It only took me 20 months to figure out how to cut my cat's nails.
🤦‍♂️
:petcat::clapcat:
That's okay. These days, it's amazing anyone can figure anything out. That's a genius idea! and I'm so glad Ms. Betty let you get ALL FOUR PAWS and that you are still here to talk about it!;):insertevillaugh:She absolutely deserves her treat. *You do, too. Of your choice.*
Elvis has thickened claws -- this happens to older individuals at times -- and it's really important to keep them clipped so they don't grow into his pads. Easier said than done, but he's due for another session.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some claws needed a trim more than others. And at least a couple were “good enough” that I didn’t need to trim them. I don’t think I looked at any of her dew claws. In any case, I figure I have the rest of her life to perfect this technique. And not to let “perfect” be the enemy of “good enough.” I’d rather start with a routine that leaves a little on the table and we both walk away happy than going for broke and either cutting too much or otherwise making her too unhappy to ever sit through this again.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some claws needed a trim more than others. And at least a couple were “good enough” that I didn’t need to trim them. I don’t think I looked at any of her dew claws. In any case, I figure I have the rest of her life to perfect this technique. And not to let “perfect” be the enemy of “good enough.” I’d rather start with a routine that leaves a little on the table and we both walk away happy than going for broke and either cutting too much or otherwise making her too unhappy to ever sit through this again.
Absolutely! Keeping her safe, and you, are priorities. She has lots of nice scratching surfaces, and all she needs is a little help from you once in awhile.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know about her. But I’m so much happier that her claws are trimmed. I was feeling like a negligent cat dad. Now she can silently sneak up on me again. 😹 Also her biscuits aren’t so brutal anymore and her nighttime snuggling doesn’t come with back claws in my side. 😽👍

She’s leaving remainders again. Not on every meal. But probably enough that she may lose weight again. As long as she isn’t losing too much weight too quickly, she does still have weight to lose. But it would be better if she was losing it through positive action (exercise or diet modification.)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know about her. But I’m so much happier that her claws are trimmed. I was feeling like a negligent cat dad. Now she can silently sneak up on me again. 😹 Also her biscuits aren’t so brutal anymore and her nighttime snuggling doesn’t come with back claws in my side. 😽👍

She’s leaving remainders again. Not on every meal. But probably enough that she may lose weight again. As long as she isn’t losing too much weight too quickly, she does still have weight to lose. But it would be better if she was losing it through positive action (exercise or diet modification.)
*Yes on all!* Some cats have been so patient and cooperative! Others have waged WWIII or torn me up. If I can get Elvis in just the right state/position/mood, he lets me. So I empathize 100%.
My roomies' cat ate like a dog. He snorked up everything in his bowl, every single time. There wasn't a molecule left. He's the only cat I've ever met who ate like that.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*Yes on all!* Some cats have been so patient and cooperative! Others have waged WWIII or torn me up. If I can get Elvis in just the right state/position/mood, he lets me. So I empathize 100%.
My roomies' cat ate like a dog. He snorked up everything in his bowl, every single time. There wasn't a molecule left. He's the only cat I've ever met who ate like that.
Betty used to eat like that. But then Betty was also on steroids for a year. Her poobiotic is finally shipping! Maybe that was helping more than I know. We'll get her back on it when it arrives and see if that restores her plate cleaning ways.

I'm also on the fence about whether adding a little A/D to her portions is helping or hurting. It certainly seems to help bring her to the plate. But it doesn't seem to be doing much for getting her to finish it. Maybe we'll try lunch with a starter strip only.

Remainders are one thing. I forgive a certain amount of remainders. But when remainders become the norm and when her remainders are half the portion or more, that's not just seasonal fussies. At the same time, I've seen what happens if I try to react too quickly. Let's watch the scale on Sunday and see how much of a problem this really is.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Betty used to eat like that. But then Betty was also on steroids for a year. Her poobiotic is finally shipping! Maybe that was helping more than I know. We'll get her back on it when it arrives and see if that restores her plate cleaning ways.

I'm also on the fence about whether adding a little A/D to her portions is helping or hurting. It certainly seems to help bring her to the plate. But it doesn't seem to be doing much for getting her to finish it. Maybe we'll try lunch with a starter strip only.

Remainders are one thing. I forgive a certain amount of remainders. But when remainders become the norm and when her remainders are half the portion or more, that's not just seasonal fussies. At the same time, I've seen what happens if I try to react too quickly. Let's watch the scale on Sunday and see how much of a problem this really is.
I feel the same about remainders. When Elvis refuses, I sulk. I'm not buying nasty food. I'm buying the best I can afford, which to most people is high quality, and yes, I expect him to eat it, or most of it, anyway. He's been doing pretty well, but sometimes, yes, most of it goes in the rubbish. That's not fair, Elvis. He's always meowy and running for his Greenies. Why can't he be that way for all of the delectables I give him, that most cats would LOVE?
It would be great if Betty would eat without the A/D, or as little as possible. Hoping the poobiotic helps!

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Lol, brutal biscuits has me laughing. Even after Sadie's spa day her biscuits this morning at 4:30 (on the dot with my alarm clock) were rough on the armpit!! I wonder if anyone else gets armpit biscuits in the morning? 🤔

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol, brutal biscuits has me laughing. Even after Sadie's spa day her biscuits this morning at 4:30 (on the dot with my alarm clock) were rough on the armpit!! I wonder if anyone else gets armpit biscuits in the morning? 🤔
Can't say I've had the pleasure, BellaBlue82 BellaBlue82 :insertevillaugh: I do get gentle clawings on whatever part is exposed, which is Elvis' way of telling me he wants me to open the covers so he can come inside, do some investigating, and usually leave. :sigh:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would get boob biscuits if I had boobs to biscuit. 🤦🏼‍♂️ I tell her she’s wasting her time. Milk will never come out of these nipples. She also has impeccable aim when she jumps into my lap. There’s an off color (weren’t they all?) Monty Python’s Flying Circus song called “Sit On My Face” In the same melody and spirit, I sing to Betty, “Step on my junk, and tell me that you love me.” (“I’ll scritch your butt and tell you I love you too.” 😹)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Betty would have spent the entire afternoon with her butt sticking out of a blanket burrow. Except about 3 pm I decided enough was enough and pulled the blanket off her. It took her another hour to finally eat some lunch. About a 1/3 portion. Which of course put her dinner off schedule. Like a pro, she showed up for meds anyway. And eventually made a second first pass on dinner when I had to work later tonight. But second pass wasn’t coming when I usually change out her dinners. There was still too much of first first left. So I proceeded to my brush my teeth which I usually do after I have changed out the dinner plates. She did eventually go back and eat most of first dinner. Acceptable remainder. She usually cleans second dinner plate. But she left some last night. So I’m hoping for a rally tonight.

I am wondering if she…
a. Has too many rabbit treats in her like the other week when she had too many Greenies. I don’t give her more than a couple in a day. But she got an extra yesterday after her nail trim and she got an extra couple of treats including a Greenie on Sunday’s weigh-in, or…
b. Her poobiotic was doing more than I thought and it’s been long enough (over a week) since she’s had one that she’s feeling off, or…
c. She’s getting gummed up with the A/D I’ve been mixing into her food trying to get her to eat more. Maybe the extra fat is helping her brew the next hairball, or…
d. Whatever the cause, she’s brewing up the next hairball and just doesn’t have much room in her stomach until it picks a direction. I’m thinking this is the most likely option. I wish she was okay with hairball gel because I don’t want to Greenie her up again.

For second dinner, I put a very small amount of A/D in a corner rather than mixing in or spreading a fat frosting strip. I hope she’ll eat way more than that corner tonight and let me know she doesn’t need as much A/D as I’ve been giving her. (About 10% of her food by weight is A/D lately.)