Introducing Betty White

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Since Betty enjoys the catnip banana, ...Do you think that placing some catnip...around her food plate might help to get her to try and eat more?
(I read that in one online article, but cannot remember if they said to put it around the food, or sprinkle it on it...which seems a little odd.)

(You've already tried the 'tuna juice' trick, to get her to eat? Just opening a plain can of tuna, and using the water, as a topper?
Though, since she does not seem to like tuna flavour, then this might not entice her to eat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Found her a vet appointment for Saturday morning! :clapcat: And at least the exam portion is covered by the Healthy Start Certificate the shelter gave me with her adoption (first exam free at a VCA Hospital.) I told them that in addition to the first exam, I want the vet to pop her mouth open and see if there's anything that doesn't look good or any tenderness. I am not sure if she will be able to get a proper dental exam under anesthesia on Saturday. But it's definitely going to be a start.

Sad that our first Caturday will be spent at the vet. But let's make sure it's not our last, right?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She’s a sweetheart and definitely a daddy’s girl already. But I’m still struggling to determine if she’s eating enough. She yells at me like she’s hungry. But only eats a few mouthfuls. But then she keeps talking like I’m supposed to give her something else? 🤷🏼‍♂️ She currently has three different wet to choose from (with a Tiki Cat fish wildcard she keeps rejecting): Fancy Feast Classic Chicken pate, Rawz rabbit pate, and Science Diet Adult Chicken. She also has a plate of the Science Diet kibble. She only ever seems to take a few mouthfuls. Regular vet is booked for two weeks. 🤦🏼‍♂️🐂💩 Emergency vet is going to be too stressful since we would have to wait in the car for hours until a cat doc is available. Dogs get much better service at the ER. 😾
Try not to overthink or stress. I know, I know. But try. Because you'll communicate that to her and you don't want to do that. As long as she is eating something, drinking something, and using her box, she is okay, this soon into her adoption. She's had to experience losing her former guardian, trying to adapt to a noisy, unfamiliar new environment where she was confined, removed from there, brought to another unfamiliar place by an unfamiliar new person, and trying to "get" everything there/with you. No wonder she is still trying to decide things!
Coffee and beer, huh? Both diuretics. So yeah. Glad you feel better that way, at least. Try to take a chill pill -- do you ever take Bach Rescue Remedy or something like that? I do very occasionally and it does calm me down.
If I can rant about something totally unconnected that had a similar effect on me this morning: I come into the office and boot up. Nothing. I check this and that. Nothing. I check everything conceivable. Nothing. I call the ISP and they run remote diagnostics and the outcome is that there is "no power to the ONT." Okay, tell me something I don't know. So I wait and talk to some guy who knows where. We determine that the ONT needs replacement. He says he'll ship me one out. So I go tell my roomie what's going on so she'll know why I'm flying off the walls. She told her husband, who came in, told me he could test the power, and did so. I took everything off the power strip and he tested that. Those tested okay. I put everything back on and the ONT started going through its paces.
I booted up.
As you can see.
Loose connection?
Called and cancelled the shipment.
Also found through the rep who handled that, that my ISP now lets me block robocalls. Set that up.
But the stress level while all of this was going on?
I'm sure you know.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try not to overthink or stress. I know, I know. But try. Because you'll communicate that to her and you don't want to do that. As long as she is eating something, drinking something, and using her box, she is okay, this soon into her adoption. She's had to experience losing her former guardian, trying to adapt to a noisy, unfamiliar new environment where she was confined, removed from there, brought to another unfamiliar place by an unfamiliar new person, and trying to "get" everything there/with you. No wonder she is still trying to decide things!
Coffee and beer, huh? Both diuretics. So yeah. Glad you feel better that way, at least. Try to take a chill pill -- do you ever take Bach Rescue Remedy or something like that? I do very occasionally and it does calm me down.
If I can rant about something totally unconnected that had a similar effect on me this morning: I come into the office and boot up. Nothing. I check this and that. Nothing. I check everything conceivable. Nothing. I call the ISP and they run remote diagnostics and the outcome is that there is "no power to the ONT." Okay, tell me something I don't know. So I wait and talk to some guy who knows where. We determine that the ONT needs replacement. He says he'll ship me one out. So I go tell my roomie what's going on so she'll know why I'm flying off the walls. She told her husband, who came in, told me he could test the power, and did so. I took everything off the power strip and he tested that. Those tested okay. I put everything back on and the ONT started going through its paces.
I booted up.
As you can see.
Loose connection?
Called and cancelled the shipment.
Also found through the rep who handled that, that my ISP now lets me block robocalls. Set that up.
But the stress level while all of this was going on?
I'm sure you know.
To be fair, I've done a lot less yelling at the computer screen since Betty came home. Not that I haven't had the occasions. But that I don't want to spook Betty. So it comes out as a silent but emphatic bird to the screen. 😹 That finger is going to get a cramp.

I sat with Betty just now and told her that we'll be spending our first Caturday together at the vet. But that if the vet can find something she needs help with, we're going to get her that help. She chirped at me like she does just about all the time she's not sleeping. She'll sit quietly behind me on the day bed. But if I turn around to look at her, she has a chirp ready for me.
BETTYWHITE.JPG

She's already settled in with me as a verifiable daddy's girl. I'm not worried about acclimation anymore. Just the nibbling and whether it's enough.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm late to the welcome party for Betty White but I'm absolutely thrilled for both of you. :cheerleader: Betty is very lucky to have a wonderful, caring and knowledgeable cat dad. 🤗 I know everyone has given you their advice so I'll throw mine in there too. When we first started to rescue/adopt our cats we only fed dry. That was sometime ago and not a lot was as well known about cat nutrition as it is now. I'll fast forward to Carleton who came from a terrible hoarding situation. The shelter was feeding him whatever dry food had been donated, mostly grocery store, e.g. Meow Mix, etc. I tried to transition him to wet food but failed miserably so I gave in and fed a better quality dry. He was such a love bug from day one and it broke my heart to not give him the food he desired. Then, over time, I slowly switched him over completely to wet albeit a snack of dry at bed time. However, he's always been fussy about his wet and prefers something with gravy.

Best of luck with Betty, she's absolutely precious and couldn't have found a better forever home. :catlove:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm late to the welcome party for Betty White but I'm absolutely thrilled for both of you. :cheerleader: Betty is very lucky to have a wonderful, caring and knowledgeable cat dad. 🤗 I know everyone has given you their advice so I'll throw mine in there too. When we first started to rescue/adopt our cats we only fed dry. That was sometime ago and not a lot was as well known about cat nutrition as it is now. I'll fast forward to Carleton who came from a terrible hoarding situation. The shelter was feeding him whatever dry food had been donated, mostly grocery store, e.g. Meow Mix, etc. I tried to transition him to wet food but failed miserably so I gave in and fed a better quality dry. He was such a love bug from day one and it broke my heart to not give him the food he desired. Then, over time, I slowly switched him over completely to wet albeit a snack of dry at bed time. However, he's always been fussy about his wet and prefers something with gravy.

Best of luck with Betty, she's absolutely precious and couldn't have found a better forever home. :catlove:
We have a vet appointment for Saturday morning. So hopefully we’ll know more by evening. In the meantime, I’ll offer a Sheba portion since that’s already half a can sized. 👍 And she can have a new can of rabbit and fancy feast as well. Krista was such an easy convert to wet food. At this point, if she’ll eat enough dry, I’ll let her have it. She’s had some out all day and didn’t touch it. She has had several mouthfuls of both FF and Rawz. So she’s not totally starving. But I would like to see more consumption on her part. Even if it takes her all day, I’d love to see her finish even one plate of food.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
At this point, if she’ll eat enough dry, I’ll let her have it. She’s had some out all day and didn’t touch it. She has had several mouthfuls of both FF and Rawz. So she’s not totally starving. But I would like to see more consumption on her part. Even if it takes her all day, I’d love to see her finish even one plate of food.
I made the mistake of buying the best quality wet food for Carleton because he had such a terrible past and so many dental problems. Turned out a dear friend's cat passed away and she gave me all her unopened wet food. I gave it to Carleton thinking there's no way he'll eat because it's not the best quality but guess what? He devoured it! I told him he's a cheap date, lol. :lol:

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
What a sweet chirper! Sounds as if it’s the excitement of getting to know each other, and maybe too she has a lot to unload about her past experiences. I agree w/ Tara’s girl…I’d bet it’s just all the hegglety pegglety of settling in. Perhaps the calmer you are, the more she’ll react in kind. ….Maybe a nice camomile tea, read her a poem, yoga?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m calm. I got Krista through three years of senior struggles. I just set out different plates of food and pet her and stroke her. She seems so much more interested in snaking around me and getting pets than eating. I’ve never had such a cuddle-motivated anti-eater. 😻🤷🏼‍♂️ Even when she’s not actively seeking pets, she’s sitting within petting range. If I make eye contact, she has a meow for me. 😻😽 She’s got the settling in thing down. Except the eating. 🤷🏼‍♂️ No interest in Sheba or Rawz Duck tonight. Rabbit is still out from afternoon and she’s been nibbling on that. I’ll put out a new Fancy Feast can and more kibble at bedtime for the overnight. It’s not like she’s a kibble addict because she’s not eating much of that either. Maybe she’s just an overnight eater and daytime nibbler. Perhaps all her talking is for pets? 🤷🏼‍♂️😽😻 But I’ll feel better after the vet’s looked her over on Saturday.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy to hear you're feeling better. A week ago yesterday Gypsy stopped eating, including her beloved Sheba meat sticks and Inaba Churu. Acting normal except a bit more cuddling and not wiggleworming while being brushed. Called her vet first thing Fri morning got a 4:30 appt. Her blood work showed everything fine but for lowgrade fever and low white blood cells. Teeth and body all fine too, couldn't find anything wrong so vet said we'll treat the symptoms. Gypsy got a dose of appetite stimulant and an antibiotic pill which we were sent home with. Also sent home with an anti nasua pill. By Sun afternoon she still hadn't eaten except a bit we'd spoon fed and no poop or pee since Sat nite. Hr & a half wait in car at ER Vet Sun evening. Full exam, x-rays & blood work. White blood cell level up to normal all else still fine. Vet said she had a full bladder and thought she felt tight along her back over hips so gave an oral pain and another oral appetite stimulant (one from 1st vet made her act doped up) soon as we got home she rushed to pee and started eating her kibble. She is pooping, peeing and eating her Purina One hairball Formula but still not completely back to normal on her wet food. Eating her daily probiotic/prebiotics in a Churu. I warmed her Sheba this morning then crushed 2 Temptations over the top. Usually it's the healthier Greenies but whatever it takes. Sometimes sprinkle bits of Sheba meet sticks on top. I had bought everything I (and all suggestions given) could think of including meat baby food (no onions or garlic) and canned chicken water to no avail. Betty may be used to a cheaper wet like Friskies, if it works you can always transition to a better quality. Good luck tomorrow. :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :heartshape:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To be fair, I've done a lot less yelling at the computer screen since Betty came home. Not that I haven't had the occasions. But that I don't want to spook Betty. So it comes out as a silent but emphatic bird to the screen. 😹 That finger is going to get a cramp.

I sat with Betty just now and told her that we'll be spending our first Caturday together at the vet. But that if the vet can find something she needs help with, we're going to get her that help. She chirped at me like she does just about all the time she's not sleeping. She'll sit quietly behind me on the day bed. But if I turn around to look at her, she has a chirp ready for me.
View attachment 409017

She's already settled in with me as a verifiable daddy's girl. I'm not worried about acclimation anymore. Just the nibbling and whether it's enough.
So adorable! I can almost hear her talkin'. *Dad. DAD!!!!!!!!!!!! PETS! NOW!!!*:happycat:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She’s peeing and pooping just fine. She seems to have a healthy amount of both. Last night it seems she ate about a half can of Fancy Feast and maybe also half a can of Rawz rabbit (but that was set out at lunch.) I don’t see any difference in the kibble. I’m guessing she got about a 3 oz to 4.5 oz yesterday. Or maybe 50-75% of what I think she should be eating. And now she’s crying upset and I can’t figure out for what. She’s got FF, Rawz, and SD dry out. We had a play and an extended cuddle session. I am starting to regret not going through a foster. I don’t even know the shelter gave her a good enough look over. Oh but she’s so sweet and gentle. She’s in no danger of being returned. I just wish the shelter had done more diligence with her. Just heard her eat some dry. Hopefully that will settle her for awhile. My instinct from Krista is that she has some sort of mouth pain. She’s hungry. But she maybe associates eating with pain and only does so when she’s hungry enough. And then only as much pain as she can take. Really need the vet to find some answers for me. Or at least rule out her mouth.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She’s peeing and pooping just fine. She seems to have a healthy amount of both. Last night it seems she ate about a half can of Fancy Feast and maybe also half a can of Rawz rabbit (but that was set out at lunch.) I don’t see any difference in the kibble. I’m guessing she got about a 3 oz to 4.5 oz yesterday. Or maybe 50-75% of what I think she should be eating. And now she’s crying upset and I can’t figure out for what. She’s got FF, Rawz, and SD dry out. We had a play and an extended cuddle session. I am starting to regret not going through a foster. I don’t even know the shelter gave her a good enough look over. Oh but she’s so sweet and gentle. She’s in no danger of being returned. I just wish the shelter had done more diligence with her. Just heard her eat some dry. Hopefully that will settle her for awhile. My instinct from Krista is that she has some sort of mouth pain. She’s hungry. But she maybe associates eating with pain and only does so when she’s hungry enough. And then only as much pain as she can take. Really need the vet to find some answers for me. Or at least rule out her mouth.
She could be having separation anxiety from being abandoned by her previous caregiver. You're doing great with her. I think it will just take more time, love, and patience.
Yeah, I'd agree on the 50-75%. That's my two, too, on a good day. I want them to eat more. But they are 17 and 14, which is a whole different scenario from 5. Betty should eat more, but I'm very glad you are allowing her to eat some dry as well as wet. Dry is more calorically dense and truth be told, a LOT of cats do love it. As long as she's grazing throughout the day, and eliminating well, I wouldn't worry too much. Hopefully the checkup will yield some good information you can work with.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She still hasn't sat in my lap, on the desk, or walked across the kitchen counter to meet me during meal preps. She hasn't become bold enough or doesn't understand how lax the rules are here. Krista would have been on top of the fridge by now. 🤦‍♂️ 😹

She did walk across the desk twice this morning. But she was just passing through. "You can sit. Here. I cleared space for you." I have a keyboard tray now so she can park in the "filling station" and get her fill of pets all day if she wanted to. I did find another toy that she adores besides her banana. I think she is feeling more comfortable and independent.

And I just spied her grab several more mouthfuls of Fancy Feast just now. 😻 I can watch her eat all day long. 😍 If only she would...

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She just loves it when I lay on the bed and she can nuzzle into my arm nook.
View attachment 409065
We both love the fuzzy blanket. 😻😍
*Pure BLISS!* :happycat: :cloud9:
Sounds like she's getting more used to her new environment and liking it!!! *Keep up that munching and grazing, Betty! Make your dad happy and get all the snorgles!*:hearthrob::happycat::hearthrob::loveeyes:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww. Maybe that’s what she really hungers for! A stable loving home…the one you’re so amply providing! Good luck at the vet’s.
It is entirely possible that she's wanting as much reassurance as she can get from me that she's not going anywhere. She has spent less time here than she did at the shelter. And I know nothing of her past. I suspect some of it may have been on the streets. So yes, I do try to provide her lots of pets and reassurance. And she does love to sit or nap near me. 😻

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Betty is getting accustomed to the environment!! She is learning about you, as you are learning about her! Enjoy it!! I know it is easier said than done.. :redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump:

As far as eating goes: I was like this with Artie. I gave him a ton of choices with his food. If a plate of food was ignored, I would open up another can for him. All I ended up doing was creating a fewy fussy cat. Along with having, at one point, 3 different types of food plates for him...

When he neded and did not like the prescription food, I did not know what to do. He would literally starve himself to get something different.. and I gave in.

All his Vets and Techs always told mr hr would eat when he was hun try enough, no matter what it was... but not ARtie... He had me wrapped...

Now, I have Geoffrey. He tried this... refusing food... I began with something I was pretty sure he did not eat before ~~ Wellness... He balked at first... but I was determined not to create a fussy cat...

It has pretty much worked, now that he is on prescription food.. He eats only one type..both wet and dry. The only time he fusses, is when he is tired of the wet, and demands the dry--earlier in the day, when I would not give it to him.

I always tell him: You have food. You eat what is in the bowl.. After that, THEN you can get your crunches!!

I am not saying that you are creating a food-fussy cat, with Betty; but.. stick to one or two selections.. See if she will eat it... My guess is that she will..

Sometimes, too many choices confuse them.

You are doing great with Betty!! As long as she is peeing, pooping, drinking water, active, not losing weight.. all good things.. The food will come...