Introducing Betty White

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel bad for Betty this morning for the best of reasons. She woke at 11am and decided she couldn’t wait a minute longer for lunch. I tried to put her off with this thing or that (except play—we shouldve played! 🤦🏼‍♂️) But we only made it to 11:30 before I all my stalling had still yielded a plate of food for her. Then I went back into the office to finish up my Sunday morning sort of scan it or shred it. Betty returned to the office just a few moments later with the siren going off again. What? That’s what you said five minutes and a full lunch portion ago! She finished her lunch portion which she bullied me into a half hour early and now she’s got crumbs left for second pass later. 🤦🏼‍♂️ I sure hope she doesn’t wake when I return from my run before the taproom trip. Sleep it off, Betty. Then do some laps while I’m out. 😹
Well, that's the sign of a happy, healthy cat! Maybe a treat or two upon your return, if she's still insistent?:hearthrob::cutecat::hearthrob:

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
…hey fyi there’s a NY Times article about your Bird Buddy feeder In Wirecutter, plus some runners up. It’s too bad you can’t use it anymore but, there’s also an app called Merlin which IDs birds by song. Won’t do Betty much good, but something to try on the way to the burger place!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought I was being clever here waiting Betty out on her after dinner nap. She usually returns and finishes her plate if I'm working much past 6. Except I remembered there's nothing left. She did a superb job finishing it at dinner time. She's waiting on me. "Let's play and then I want your lap for a couple of hours until next dinner." 😹

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought I was being clever here waiting Betty out on her after dinner nap. She usually returns and finishes her plate if I'm working much past 6. Except I remembered there's nothing left. She did a superb job finishing it at dinner time. She's waiting on me. "Let's play and then I want your lap for a couple of hours until next dinner." 😹
If it gets any better than that, I don't even need to know :hearthrob::cutecat: :hearthrob::cloud9:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We got the Ripple Rug. It takes up significant space so it’s both of ours now. 🤦🏼‍♂️😹 So far she just loves marking it with her face. We played with Da Bee for bit. Then something really weird and somewhat scary happened. The loop that makes the bee into Da Bee, the loop that connects the toy to the string on the wand, that loop got looped on one of her canines. She was almost forever attached to this toy. I’m proud of her for not freaking out and running all over the place like some other people’s scaredy cats. I think she understood that it was beyond her ability to unhook herself because she didn’t really put up much of a struggle when I popped her jaw and unhooked the loop off her tooth. Then I hugged her because we easily saved $1000 ER visit and brought her end of play treat early. I think I’m more wound up about this than she is. That was probably a fluke. I’ve never encountered that before in all the times Krista and I played with Da Bird. We’ll likely try Da Bee again tomorrow. 😻👍
60639031-217F-44C4-81D5-93F6D2AEE705.jpeg 0DED5AAD-31EC-4895-A5C3-9509AD3BFFE7.jpeg DB40CB49-A239-4296-951A-2F0DFB07A0F5.jpeg
She’s simply a purrfect cat. She waited until the very moment the (Assisi) Loop shut off before she left my lap to finish her dinner crumbs. She actually left a few this time. But now they’re gone. 🐷👍

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought this 120+ year old cigarette trade card because of the cat riddle. It’s a good one. 🧐👍 And it’s amazing how well this nearly paper thin card has held up. I also got it for less than a couple cans of her food. 🙀😻👍
C71CFF38-C8FD-497E-BFED-FB43C54F05B6.jpeg 2C562C2D-A110-4AED-8B4D-8A956AE649F4.jpeg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We got the Ripple Rug. It takes up significant space so it’s both of ours now. 🤦🏼‍♂️😹 So far she just loves marking it with her face. We played with Da Bee for bit. Then something really weird and somewhat scary happened. The loop that makes the bee into Da Bee, the loop that connects the toy to the string on the wand, that loop got looped on one of her canines. She was almost forever attached to this toy. I’m proud of her for not freaking out and running all over the place like some other people’s scaredy cats. I think she understood that it was beyond her ability to unhook herself because she didn’t really put up much of a struggle when I popped her jaw and unhooked the loop off her tooth. Then I hugged her because we easily saved $1000 ER visit and brought her end of play treat early. I think I’m more wound up about this than she is. That was probably a fluke. I’ve never encountered that before in all the times Krista and I played with Da Bird. We’ll likely try Da Bee again tomorrow. 😻👍
View attachment 453385View attachment 453386View attachment 453387
She’s simply a purrfect cat. She waited until the very moment the (Assisi) Loop shut off before she left my lap to finish her dinner crumbs. She actually left a few this time. But now they’re gone. 🐷👍
Scary, but all's well that ends well and hoping this never reoccurs!!! The Ripple Rug has a great rep and hope you both love it. As a little kid, I used to love crawling through tunnels and under and around things like homemade "forts" and all the twigs and branches when my dad pruned our big elm tree. The Ripple Rug would be a decided improvement:insertevillaugh:
Interesting card!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
artiemom artiemom Elvis uses my left wrist as a chin rest when I'm working. :cloud9:
daftcat75 daftcat75 I don't think I've ever heard Betty talk before. She has quite a bit to say -- is she commenting on the day's events, do you think, or thanking you for the rug? Inquiring minds DO want to know :lolup:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
artiemom artiemom Elvis uses my left wrist as a chin rest when I'm working. :cloud9:
daftcat75 daftcat75 I don't think I've ever heard Betty talk before. She has quite a bit to say -- is she commenting on the day's events, do you think, or thanking you for the rug? Inquiring minds DO want to know :lolup:
You've heard Betty talk before. I'll find the "chirps" later.

And yes, she can talk a lot. Usually at meal time. She has several different meows that I can get her to rotate through. I like the grumbly mumbly meow she has in the other video.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You've heard Betty talk before. I'll find the "chirps" later.

And yes, she can talk a lot. Usually at meal time. She has several different meows that I can get her to rotate through. I like the grumbly mumbly meow she has in the other video.
I do too. And I like these.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think we both got a preview of return to office and neither of us liked it very much. We had a planned power outage at the apartment community. So when the power cut out at 8 am, I had enough battery on my Hue Go’s to get dressed and pack up the laptop for a day out of the home. Poor Betty. She noticed the difference in morning routine and went to a cave to hide. Once I was ready to go, I caught up to her and reassured her that she wasn’t going to the vet. You could see her visibly relax when I gave her reassuring pets and told her no vet today. But no power either. The smoke detector was being obnoxious. I guess it had just enough battery in its battery backup to chirp its complaint every few minutes that it had lost power. So I took out the battery and off to Peets I went for the morning. I was looking forward to returning to Betty all morning and lunch finally came. I went home. I forgot to bring a new battery for the smoke detector. I didn’t think it would be an issue. I put out lunch and snuggled with Betty for a good fifteen or twenty minutes before I began the burger and beer shift of my day away. About 2pm I get the notifications that the cameras at home are coming back online. That means I have power again. Well, may as well finish up the day and then go home for Betty’s dinner and meds. When I got home, that dumb smoke detector was chirping every few minutes its displeasure of having the battery removed. Alright alright. Tomorrow I’ll feed the smoke detector a brand new battery. Of course it’s a 9 volt and I never have a spare of those. 🤦🏼‍♂️ Poor Betty though. I think between the heat and my absence and that damn chirping of the smoke detector, I found her lunch half eaten and she was hiding under the bookcase. I put the old weak battery back in the smoke detector to shut it up and then prepared Betty’s med and meal. And then had to fetch Betty from under the bookcase. I think she’s so traumatized from my absence today that she keeps following me into the kitchen. She never follows me into the kitchen. She knows this. I didn’t teach it to her. But as long as she’s got that training, I have been merely walking her back out of the kitchen and she’s like, “oh yeah. That’s right. I knew that.” And then she’s back in the kitchen a few moments later. 🤦🏼‍♂️Krista got especially clingy when I came home from weekends away. So this is probably that. I’ve never really left her a whole day. Maybe one other time we had a power outage. But she wasn’t like this that day.

On top of it all, today was a really hot one. Not much I could have done for Betty if I was home. Between my absence, the chirping smoke detector, and the heat, it doesn’t surprise me that she only ate half her lunch.

We started a new case tonight and while Betty didn’t tear into it like a usual new case can, she did finish it on second pass. I think we’ll be alright. It should be cooling down outdoors soon so that we can open the deck door and cool down inside.

I’m going to talk to the property managers about whether a freestanding deck umbrella would be okay before they post another nasty note on my door with some BS-ly worded complaint like hooks in the deck (that was their objection to the birdhouse.) If I can get something in between the afternoon sun and my deck door, maybe we won’t cook like ants under a glass this summer. 🥵

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I took a baseball bat once to one of those smoke detectors. It was very satisfying. Probably not wise in a rental, though.

I think we both got a preview of return to office and neither of us liked it very much. We had a planned power outage at the apartment community. So when the power cut out at 8 am, I had enough battery on my Hue Go’s to get dressed and pack up the laptop for a day out of the home. Poor Betty. She noticed the difference in morning routine and went to a cave to hide. Once I was ready to go, I caught up to her and reassured her that she wasn’t going to the vet. You could see her visibly relax when I gave her reassuring pets and told her no vet today. But no power either. The smoke detector was being obnoxious. I guess it had just enough battery in its battery backup to chirp its complaint every few minutes that it had lost power. So I took out the battery and off to Peets I went for the morning. I was looking forward to returning to Betty all morning and lunch finally came. I went home. I forgot to bring a new battery for the smoke detector. I didn’t think it would be an issue. I put out lunch and snuggled with Betty for a good fifteen or twenty minutes before I began the burger and beer shift of my day away. About 2pm I get the notifications that the cameras at home are coming back online. That means I have power again. Well, may as well finish up the day and then go home for Betty’s dinner and meds. When I got home, that dumb smoke detector was chirping every few minutes its displeasure of having the battery removed. Alright alright. Tomorrow I’ll feed the smoke detector a brand new battery. Of course it’s a 9 volt and I never have a spare of those. 🤦🏼‍♂️ Poor Betty though. I think between the heat and my absence and that damn chirping of the smoke detector, I found her lunch half eaten and she was hiding under the bookcase. I put the old weak battery back in the smoke detector to shut it up and then prepared Betty’s med and meal. And then had to fetch Betty from under the bookcase. I think she’s so traumatized from my absence today that she keeps following me into the kitchen. She never follows me into the kitchen. She knows this. I didn’t teach it to her. But as long as she’s got that training, I have been merely walking her back out of the kitchen and she’s like, “oh yeah. That’s right. I knew that.” And then she’s back in the kitchen a few moments later. 🤦🏼‍♂️Krista got especially clingy when I came home from weekends away. So this is probably that. I’ve never really left her a whole day. Maybe one other time we had a power outage. But she wasn’t like this that day.

On top of it all, today was a really hot one. Not much I could have done for Betty if I was home. Between my absence, the chirping smoke detector, and the heat, it doesn’t surprise me that she only ate half her lunch.

We started a new case tonight and while Betty didn’t tear into it like a usual new case can, she did finish it on second pass. I think we’ll be alright. It should be cooling down outdoors soon so that we can open the deck door and cool down inside.

I’m going to talk to the property managers about whether a freestanding deck umbrella would be okay before they post another nasty note on my door with some BS-ly worded complaint like hooks in the deck (that was their objection to the birdhouse.) If I can get something in between the afternoon sun and my deck door, maybe we won’t cook like ants under a glass this summer. 🥵
[/QUOT

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good on ya, Margot Lane Margot Lane :lolup::insertevillaugh:
When I was in a apartment complex, my hard-wired smoke alarm, which was ear-splitting loud, went off when I was sleeping, or trying to, early one morning. I tried to shut it up. It wouldn't. So I called the guy upstairs and asked him to come and see if he could deal with it. He did. He disconnected it. :insertevillaugh: Obviously, no one was cooking, smoking, or doing arson in my unit or in his. :sigh: I have a ceiling fan that requires a 9V in the remote that attaches to the wall.. I know, it's bizarre. So I keep an extra in the fridge for the purpose, because if the battery tanks, the fan turns on and you can't turn it off.
Poor Betty, daftcat75 daftcat75 ! I would have been a basket case after all that chirping. Hopefully all's well now?
Yeah, I don't get why coders can't WFH. Do they have to see your fingers moving on the keyboard to know you're actually working?:argh:
Elvis and I did our silvervine-and-catnip CATurday morning ritual. He's currently on my lap purring, having left no doubt that he knows where the beef is. He enjoyed some of that but he's a catly eater, so he returns several times before a bowl is clean.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think this is more comfortable for her than it is for me. Perhaps if she was a pound or two lighter. I don’t mean to fat shame my Garfield. But she’s gonna fall through if I don’t readjust her soon. 😾
06EC00FE-556C-4576-90F1-7D3975576080.jpeg