Introducing Betty White

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
…and that “second pass” thing is so huge with cats! It’s like they have to think about it. Mine just gave me a HUGE snub, then, seconds later after I’d given up in total despair, wolfed it all down.
Betty had an impressive first pass on first dinner. Then she just wanted to nap in my lap all night. Thankfully, my bladder was having nothing of it. I eventually pushed her off and took care of it. On my way back from the bathroom, I decided to hide out in the office long enough for her to complete her second pass on first dinner. Whatever remains after second pass is going to be booked as remainder. She doesn't have time and I don't have desire to wait for a third pass. Thankfully, that plate is looking pretty clean from the camera I'm watching. Yes, I am watching my cat finish her dinner on a camera from another room. 🤦‍♂️ 😹

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Betty finished all her plates yesterday. She was starting in on the feeder at 5 minutes to breakfast this morning. I don’t know how much of the feeder she ate earlier and how much she ate right before I took it away from her. 😾 Come. Let’s get you some fresh food! I suspect she ate nearly a portion’s worth before I intercepted. I only got about 10 grams out of first pass on breakfast this morning. Still. Better than a total sniff and snub. And now we wait for her to wake for second pass.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Betty finished all her plates yesterday. She was starting in on the feeder at 5 minutes to breakfast this morning. I don’t know how much of the feeder she ate earlier and how much she ate right before I took it away from her. 😾 Come. Let’s get you some fresh food! I suspect she ate nearly a portion’s worth before I intercepted. I only got about 10 grams out of first pass on breakfast this morning. Still. Better than a total sniff and snub. And now we wait for her to wake for second pass.
Sounds like Betty's eating is not too shabby so far. And yeah, I think everyone here at TCS totally understands watching your cat eat on camera from another room. Or even from the same room. It's a cat lover thing. We get it.
Hope your bird camera provides many hours of enjoyment for you AND Betty! We enjoy blue jays, mockers, pigeons, doves, crows, wild conures, juncos, sparrows and finches of various types, hummingbirds, and I've even seen the very occasional duck, though I can't tell you what kind as (s)he startled me so much, landing on the roof and then taking off quickly, several years back. Oh, and then there was that crane (or stork?) way up high, far off, shortly after we moved here. And not forgetting the redtails!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like Betty's eating is not too shabby so far. And yeah, I think everyone here at TCS totally understands watching your cat eat on camera from another room. Or even from the same room. It's a cat lover thing. We get it.
Hope your bird camera provides many hours of enjoyment for you AND Betty! We enjoy blue jays, mockers, pigeons, doves, crows, wild conures, juncos, sparrows and finches of various types, hummingbirds, and I've even seen the very occasional duck, though I can't tell you what kind as (s)he startled me so much, landing on the roof and then taking off quickly, several years back. Oh, and then there was that crane (or stork?) way up high, far off, shortly after we moved here. And not forgetting the redtails!
I don’t know birds. I was hoping this would help me learn them. If a bird ever visits and this holds a charge (it currently needs to be recharged for the second time this week 🤦🏼‍♂️), it should be sending me postcards of my bird visitors with AI identification. I’m tempted though it sit it under one of the deck chairs and get squirrel postcards instead.

Or maybe I bring back this deck camera.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Merlin ID is a great app…can store your bird sightings, even ID them just by their sound w a little microphone.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She finally stopped gaining weight! I hope.
E6F03DF1-D01E-4F87-883F-526DA0A3B8D3.jpeg
That’s 10.42. Last week was 10.48. I’m hoping this holds and that she doesn’t gain more weight next week.

About 3am this morning, I woke up and peeked over the edge of the bed. Oops! At some point in the night I had kicked the blanket off the bed and it was sitting in front of a half eaten plate and an almost finished feeder. I hope I didn’t kick the blanket off while she was eating. But it looks like I inadvertently turned her away from the plate. Thank goodness the feeder was there. She still did very well yesterday and put away 170 calories.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
She finally stopped gaining weight! I hope.
View attachment 435214
That’s 10.42. Last week was 10.48. I’m hoping this holds and that she doesn’t gain more weight next week.

About 3am this morning, I woke up and peeked over the edge of the bed. Oops! At some point in the night I had kicked the blanket off the bed and it was sitting in front of a half eaten plate and an almost finished feeder. I hope I didn’t kick the blanket off while she was eating. But it looks like I inadvertently turned her away from the plate. Thank goodness the feeder was there. She still did very well yesterday and put away 170 calories.
Great!! So good... holding her own... Go Betty!!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great!! So good... holding her own... Go Betty!!
Yes. I think maybe we’re right at her ideal calories if she’s not gaining and not really losing either. For the first time in a number of weeks, I’m feeling relieved about her intake and look forward to her next weigh-in.

She’s did so well on first pass of lunch. And I’m just dawdling on her meds prep for the next week. I’m doing it at the desk. So of course I get distracted by the computer in front of me. 🤦🏼‍♂️

But I’m finally done and I made up a larger batch of the s boulardii caps so next week’s med prep will go faster.

I’m looking forward to my burger and beer and I’m sure she’s looking forward to having me out of her hair for a few hours. We have an elastic relationship that I very much appreciate. It’s not all needy and not all aloof. Though if you ask her, I don’t fuss her nearly enough. 😘😻

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. I think maybe we’re right at her ideal calories if she’s not gaining and not really losing either. For the first time in a number of weeks, I’m feeling relieved about her intake and look forward to her next weigh-in.

She’s did so well on first pass of lunch. And I’m just dawdling on her meds prep for the next week. I’m doing it at the desk. So of course I get distracted by the computer in front of me. 🤦🏼‍♂️

But I’m finally done and I made up a larger batch of the s boulardii caps so next week’s med prep will go faster.

I’m looking forward to my burger and beer and I’m sure she’s looking forward to having me out of her hair for a few hours. We have an elastic relationship that I very much appreciate. It’s not all needy and not all aloof. Though if you ask her, I don’t fuss her nearly enough. 😘😻
Well, what are you waiting for? FUSS THAT CAT!!! :hearthrob::lovecat3::hearthrob::agree: Yeah, looks like Betty is at her perfect weight!
I love the squirrelcam. Good luck with the birdcam. I'm no bird authority, either, but I love watching them. We had a lot of colorful ones in the Mojave, and more varieties than down here in la-la land. But I love them all. The most amazing one I saw up there was a big golden. I didn't know they are so huge! This one was sitting on our pad under the carport. I must admit I was kind of intimidated. They really are fierce-looking. I love the raptors. He didn't look very friendly, though. And I don't suppose he thought any better of me, either.
Hope your outing is a good one and that you both enjoy your reunion.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trick or Treat!

I sent AnimalBiome some Betty poop for Halloween.💩

It's not fair though. I can think of far more deserving recipients of cat poop fan mail. 😹

I hope she made some good picks.
View attachment 435286
OMC OMC OMC!!! SO CAN I. I think we're in a very large club here. Ms. Betty looks cool, calm, and collected. Because, yunno, CATS DON'T VOTE. 🐴🐘*Don't flame me. They don't have a donkey icon.*

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey I checked my Cornell Lab calendar, which states that Nov. 1 “Project Feederwatch Begins.” I am sure you and Betty await with bated breath. Maybe you can tell them about that grey, furry bird.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMC OMC OMC!!! SO CAN I. I think we're in a very large club here. Ms. Betty looks cool, calm, and collected. Because, yunno, CATS DON'T VOTE. 🐴🐘*Don't flame me. They don't have a donkey icon.*
Betty voted for homeless gambling in the dialysis clinics and candy flavored abortions for all. I believe that covers all the CA props this year.

She’s also voting for skipped meals apparently. After doing so well on the day shift, she left remainders on both dinners and the feeder untouched. After 170 calories on Sunday, she only put away 140 yesterday. Breakfast is finished but lunch remains untouched. Two sniff and snubs. I guess we’re waiting on a 2pm start. Plenty of time for two passes whenever she decides to take them.

First rain in a while. That may have her sleeping more today as it’s all gross and gray in the front room. Whoever figures out how to stream sunshine is going to be richer than the Chief Twit. (That's not the vowel I would have chosen for him in the second word.)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Betty voted for homeless gambling in the dialysis clinics and candy flavored abortions for all. I believe that covers all the CA props this year.

She’s also voting for skipped meals apparently. After doing so well on the day shift, she left remainders on both dinners and the feeder untouched. After 170 calories on Sunday, she only put away 140 yesterday. Breakfast is finished but lunch remains untouched. Two sniff and snubs. I guess we’re waiting on a 2pm start. Plenty of time for two passes whenever she decides to take them.

First rain in a while. That may have her sleeping more today as it’s all gross and gray in the front room. Whoever figures out how to stream sunshine is going to be richer than the Chief Twit. (That's not the vowel I would have chosen for him in the second word.)
💯On this post. Absolutely. :crackup::agree:Ms. Betty, you done good. :flail:
And yeah. He keeps saying he wants to go far, far away. Now why won't he just DO that???:insertevillaugh:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought cats were supposed to eat more during cold weather. Betty is eating even less this week. She’s really pushing my “let’s wait and see at the weigh-in” attitude. Monday was 140 calories. Yesterday improved but still under at 150 calories. This morning she left a breakfast remainder. Her first pass on lunch was rather weak. And she seems to be sleeping right through a second pass which I really would have preferred at 2 pm with enough time for a third at 4. But it’s looking like second pass whenever that comes may be her last chance to not leave a lunch remainder. And I don’t see her cleaning the plate. 🤦🏼‍♂️ So then we’ll enter the dinners already behind. Maybe another 140 calories day at this pace? 🤷🏼‍♂️

I wonder if the apartment is getting too cold for her. I’m running one of the heat Dysons at 76. The other, sitting near the radiator is also reading 76. But where Betty sleeps in the poof, that may be a colder, harder to heat area. 😿

I might have a little more room on the radiator to turn it up before I risk popping a circuit. The radiator though is on the other side of the living room. I’m not sure if Betty wants her poof moved. But maybe I’ll look into a second poof for her where the old frayed tree used to be. 🤔

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow/// 76 degrees inside sounds so hot to me! I am comfortable at 73-74 degrees year round. It seems the best temp for my body and for y breathing. Unfortunately, I cannot get it that way. The heating system in here is so weird-- never heard of this type os system, untill I moved here. I think it was the most inexpensive and oldest type oil it's kind.
Not forced air-- it is based on running hot water.. weird.. Bottom line: If the building asks for heat, I get some.. If anyone above, below, next to me; puts the heat on-- I get it. The pipes run in my bedroom wall.. so weird. The bedroom is the hottest. I always have that window open. I have had to shut off the main heat valves in both rooms. It is too darn hot.. seniors, want the heat. I do not. I rely on my electric fireplace, and a couple of space heaters for heat, and I cover up!!

Geoffrey does not seem to care much about the temp. He wants access to the windows! If they are cracked open, the better for him.
After living in California her entire life, Betty may be sensitive to cooler temps.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are temperature readings at specific points of the apartment. One point is a Dyson Heat (a spendy space heater with a thermostat and air purifier) and the other Dyson is a Cool, or air purifier and fan only. That one sits a foot away from the heat generating cable modem and TV and a few feet away from an electric oil filled radiator. Krista loved that radiator! If I couldn’t find her on me, next to me, or in her favorite tree, I could be sure to find her hugging the radiator. I had the radiator as long as I had Krista and neither of them caught fire over the years despite their intimate relationship.
D8B1421F-254B-491B-9034-3B2DF09F6DD5.jpeg 99BFAE37-22E3-4783-854D-CB7BF8652DA1.jpeg
But yes. I do love a warm apartment when the weather is cooling off. And that’s California cold I’m talking here. I get grumbly and seasonally depressed when the sky goes gray and the temps barely make 60. I understand the greater Boston area gets a fair touch cooler than that. 😉

Betty finished lunch, left a remainder on the dinners, and ate half the feeder. Her eating inched up to 157 calories.

I’m still fine tuning the heat automation over here. I have two of those Dyson heaters (one in the front room and one in the office) and the radiator which is on a smart plug. The Dysons can be scheduled to have daytime and nighttime settings. The radiator has several different manual heat settings: two switches and a five setting wheel. I have the second switch on (a medium setting) and the wheel set to a 4 or 5. A medium high setting. It is almost warm enough for the waking hours and too warm for sleeping. I’ll likely program in some off hours on the smart plug.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are temperature readings at specific points of the apartment. One point is a Dyson Heat (a spendy space heater with a thermostat and air purifier) and the other Dyson is a Cool, or air purifier and fan only. That one sits a foot away from the heat generating cable modem and TV and a few feet away from an electric oil filled radiator. Krista loved that radiator! If I couldn’t find her on me, next to me, or in her favorite tree, I could be sure to find her hugging the radiator. I had the radiator as long as I had Krista and neither of them caught fire over the years despite their intimate relationship.
View attachment 435461View attachment 435462
But yes. I do love a warm apartment when the weather is cooling off. And that’s California cold I’m talking here. I get grumbly and seasonally depressed when the sky goes gray and the temps barely make 60. I understand the greater Boston area gets a fair touch cooler than that. 😉

Betty finished lunch, left a remainder on the dinners, and ate half the feeder. Her eating inched up to 157 calories.

I’m still fine tuning the heat automation over here. I have two of those Dyson heaters (one in the front room and one in the office) and the radiator which is on a smart plug. The Dysons can be scheduled to have daytime and nighttime settings. The radiator has several different manual heat settings: two switches and a five setting wheel. I have the second switch on (a medium setting) and the wheel set to a 4 or 5. A medium high setting. It is almost warm enough for the waking hours and too warm for sleeping. I’ll likely program in some off hours on the smart plug.
Awwww, Krista angel! Bright-eyed and colorful, and looking comfy and warm.
We all differ so much on temperatures and weather, it seems! I love cold, rain, snow, and 4 distinct seasons, which we had in the Mojave. *Well, I could do without summer completely.* I like it cool in the house, and quite cool for sleeping. I really don't use the HVAC in the cooler weather (it doesn't get "cold" here in la-la land, really, especially with climate change) as the roomies use the heater I lent them in their room and since I don't have 3' of wet hair anymore, I just bundle up with clothes and put blankets on the bed in cool weather. Utility costs are so high and I'm a big-picture person where climate and thinking of others is concerned, so I try to keep it down as much as possible.
Good JOB, Ms. Betty! :hearthrob::lovecat3::hearthrob: