Introducing Betty White

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just realized this morning that Betty went from two fresh can portions a day to just one now. And it rotates around the clock because she’s eating slightly more than one can a day. Breakfast was not a fresh can portion this morning. She ate a quarter ounce and called it. That’s okay. I know she likes the stuff and I have time on my side. Sure enough. I woke up from third sleep (about 7:30am) and she was polishing that plate.

You know, Krista and I had batch issues with Rawz. I remember this struggle now. I was hoping to avoid it. Funny! Back then some cans were too loose. I would gently shake the can next to my ear to hear how much sloshing it was doing. Now I have two cans from that hockey puck batch that don’t slosh and one that does. I will give that one a chance at the next fresh can portion meal. If she doesn’t like it, we’ll go to the batch she does. I also ordered a pair of cans from Incredible Pets and paid one more can’s worth in shipping. 🤦🏼‍♂️ I want to see if their batch is any different before I consider a case purchase from them.

Internet back. And internet out again. 🤦🏼‍♂️😡

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just realized this morning that Betty went from two fresh can portions a day to just one now. And it rotates around the clock because she’s eating slightly more than one can a day. Breakfast was not a fresh can portion this morning. She ate a quarter ounce and called it. That’s okay. I know she likes the stuff and I have time on my side. Sure enough. I woke up from third sleep (about 7:30am) and she was polishing that plate.

You know, Krista and I had batch issues with Rawz. I remember this struggle now. I was hoping to avoid it. Funny! Back then some cans were too loose. I would gently shake the can next to my ear to hear how much sloshing it was doing. Now I have two cans from that hockey puck batch that don’t slosh and one that does. I will give that one a chance at the next fresh can portion meal. If she doesn’t like it, we’ll go to the batch she does. I also ordered a pair of cans from Incredible Pets and paid one more can’s worth in shipping. 🤦🏼‍♂️ I want to see if their batch is any different before I consider a case purchase from them.

Internet back. And internet out again. 🤦🏼‍♂️😡
Every day is an adventure these days, right? :rolleyes:
A very soulful overboard beauty there. Betty: "WHY can't they just get it right all the time?":hearthrob::lovecat4::hearthrob::sigh:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
What is Xfinity doing?? I see them all over the city.. especially in my area. They changed the color of their logo, also.. It was red, now it is Green... Go figure.. Wish they would inform us..

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is Xfinity doing?? I see them all over the city.. especially in my area. They changed the color of their logo, also.. It was red, now it is Green... Go figure.. Wish they would inform us..
Whatever it is, I hope it leads to everyone being online SOON. Enough idiocy, right?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was a scheduled outage while they did so-called network improvements. That was last Friday. Then I had solid internet over the weekend and Monday morning it goes out again. I'm not entirely certain that that outage or this morning's was Xfinity's fault. The apartment complex is digging up everyone's lawn (well, the lawn outside our decks, so it's not really ours) to install new light posts and lay new electrical wiring. I see Charter marked all the cables ahead of digging. But Charter is not Xfinity. I honestly thought Xfinity was above ground as I see all the cables stapled to the buildings and running up to the roof and over back down to the distribution box on the sides of the buildings. I guess the landscapers are finding the cables that were buried and not marked ahead of time. 🤦‍♂️

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was a scheduled outage while they did so-called network improvements. That was last Friday. Then I had solid internet over the weekend and Monday morning it goes out again. I'm not entirely certain that that outage or this morning's was Xfinity's fault. The apartment complex is digging up everyone's lawn (well, the lawn outside our decks, so it's not really ours) to install new light posts and lay new electrical wiring. I see Charter marked all the cables ahead of digging. But Charter is not Xfinity. I honestly thought Xfinity was above ground as I see all the cables stapled to the buildings and running up to the roof and over back down to the distribution box on the sides of the buildings. I guess the landscapers are finding the cables that were buried and not marked ahead of time. 🤦‍♂️
:argh:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We did lunch a little backwards today. I set her snack in a feeder in case I was delayed coming home from my stand-in office this morning. I went to the taproom and had a coffee stout. It was dark and tasted like coffee. That makes it a morning drink. About 11:30, I got all the camera notifications saying home was online again. I saw that before this morning. I decided to finish my beer in its own time, and give home a bit longer to make sure the connection was stable. On my way home, I stopped by another pet food store and picked up two cans of Rawz from a different batch than last night's hockey puck. I also picked up a can of Evangers rabbit meat and liver in broth. It's not a food as much as it is a complement. That's fine. I am looking for an A/D substitute for coating her pills. If Betty likes it, I'll order a case. If Betty likes these Rawz cans, I'll go back and buy more. There is at least one more local pet food store that carries Rawz. I can check out which batch they have tomorrow. Say what you will about the I/D. The quality between cases was not bad. Yes, there were a couple of cases (one each of I/D and A/D) that Betty rejected. But I think those were the mail order ones that sat in a hot delivery truck too long.

I finally got home at 1pm. The pet food store was busy and understaffed. That's an indie for you. Betty was just finishing up her feeder snack.

It is just about time for me to check on laundry and wash my lunch dish. Perhaps Betty will be ready for her lunch proper when I'm done with all that.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We did lunch a little backwards today. I set her snack in a feeder in case I was delayed coming home from my stand-in office this morning. I went to the taproom and had a coffee stout. It was dark and tasted like coffee. That makes it a morning drink. About 11:30, I got all the camera notifications saying home was online again. I saw that before this morning. I decided to finish my beer in its own time, and give home a bit longer to make sure the connection was stable. On my way home, I stopped by another pet food store and picked up two cans of Rawz from a different batch than last night's hockey puck. I also picked up a can of Evangers rabbit meat and liver in broth. It's not a food as much as it is a complement. That's fine. I am looking for an A/D substitute for coating her pills. If Betty likes it, I'll order a case. If Betty likes these Rawz cans, I'll go back and buy more. There is at least one more local pet food store that carries Rawz. I can check out which batch they have tomorrow. Say what you will about the I/D. The quality between cases was not bad. Yes, there were a couple of cases (one each of I/D and A/D) that Betty rejected. But I think those were the mail order ones that sat in a hot delivery truck too long.

I finally got home at 1pm. The pet food store was busy and understaffed. That's an indie for you. Betty was just finishing up her feeder snack.

It is just about time for me to check on laundry and wash my lunch dish. Perhaps Betty will be ready for her lunch proper when I'm done with all that.
Hoping the news cans set well with Betty!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She’s definitely got a batch preference. I don’t know how we’re going to deal with this going forward if I can’t find more cans from the same batch. The first can I opened from the two I picked up today, she sniffed and refused. I opened another can from the batch she likes and she ate probably a quarter ounce. I miss the eager eating of I/D and how she would clean a plate in one go. She will probably finish this plate before 2D. But it just feels agonizing like before waiting for her to come around again and again until the plate is clean. I think we’re going to give Mouser another chance tomorrow. I hope the absence made her stomach grow fonder. 😋😹

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just checked the expiration date (that's how I tell batches apart) on the bottom of the cans of the batch Betty likes, and we're never going to see this batch again. It's a "2023" batch (e.g. best by some month my old eyes couldn't make out in 2023.) The can from today's Rawz run has a 2024 code on the bottom. It looked promising: more like the batch she likes. But Betty thought otherwise. And the hockey puck batch from yesterday has a 2025 code. This makes me so sad and so mad! We finally get her off the I/D and we only have a week's supply of the food she likes with slim chances of ever finding another batch she likes. I have two cans coming in from Incredible Pets and there is another local store before I have to drive further looking for others. I really want to find another batch she likes even if she will eat enough Mouser (which I'm not totally sure she will.) Rawz has been doing this longer. I'd hate for her to get dependent on Mouser only for them to have supply chain issues or go out of business. I know Mouser has had many challenges starting up in the middle of the pandemic. But I don't know how popular and stable their business is.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just checked the expiration date (that's how I tell batches apart) on the bottom of the cans of the batch Betty likes, and we're never going to see this batch again. It's a "2023" batch (e.g. best by some month my old eyes couldn't make out in 2023.) The can from today's Rawz run has a 2024 code on the bottom. It looked promising: more like the batch she likes. But Betty thought otherwise. And the hockey puck batch from yesterday has a 2025 code. This makes me so sad and so mad! We finally get her off the I/D and we only have a week's supply of the food she likes with slim chances of ever finding another batch she likes. I have two cans coming in from Incredible Pets and there is another local store before I have to drive further looking for others. I really want to find another batch she likes even if she will eat enough Mouser (which I'm not totally sure she will.) Rawz has been doing this longer. I'd hate for her to get dependent on Mouser only for them to have supply chain issues or go out of business. I know Mouser has had many challenges starting up in the middle of the pandemic. But I don't know how popular and stable their business is.
It seems that all pet food companies are having quality and consistency issues since the pandemic started. I think it must be even harder for the smaller companies. I’ve mostly had supply chain issues, but I definitely understand the frustration!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her coat and her body condition feels so much better already.

I plan to switch her back to Mouser with the next new can. Hopefully a few days on Mouser (if she can give me a few days) will maybe help her forget the Rawz date code she prefers. Maybe a few days on Mouser will make her more forgiving of the date codes she doesn’t like when I return Rawz to her diet. At least I have this option. If this was Krista, we’d be screwed. We didn’t have Mouser and this was my biggest fear: that she would tire of/not want Rawz anymore.

1D is in the books despite the slow start. I am hoping to hold her off a minute or two (maybe an hour?) before I plate 2D. She gets 2D as a warmed up meal while overnight goes into the feeder straight from the fridge.
It seems that all pet food companies are having quality and consistency issues since the pandemic started. I think it must be even harder for the smaller companies. I’ve mostly had supply chain issues, but I definitely understand the frustration!
I read an Amazon question for a Rawz reseller (because if anyone is going to ask about batches, it will be someone in Amazon questions or reviews) and it turns out Betty is not unique in preferring 2023 date codes. Sure enough someone asked saying they noticed their cats enjoyed 2023 cans over 2024 cans. There wasn’t a response from the seller. But that’s only a temporary solution anyway.

I emailed Rawz off their website. I told them I don’t know what the remedy might be. But I wanted them to be aware of the issue and maybe they could tell me of something that might have changed in the last couple years. I know they are a committed company and maybe just maybe they can locate some old inventory until I can find the next batch code she enjoys.

That’s a super long shot and not sustainable. Just like kicking myself for selling Krista’s cases when she passed. That’s only a temporary solution. Cases and stashes run out. She will eventually be left with new food or nothing.

In the meantime, I have decided to try to move her back to Mouser for a few days to see if she will be more forgiving of a different batch if she hasn’t seen the batch she likes in a few days. And if she keeps eating enough of the Mouser, we’ll stick to that. I have two local stores plus an online that carry Mouser. I just really want her willing and able to eat both in case Mouser has an issue we need to workaround for awhile.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
You are not alone with the batches being different. I am still using the RC PR (rabbit). I am kind of a hoarder.
I opened a new batch a week ago. Like you, it was similar to a hockey puck!! and smelt. I did not care for it, so I tried from 2 other cases--same batch... again the same..

Geoffrey is loving this batch!! He was very tentative about the 'normal' stuff, but loves this strange batch!! It also has an expiration date of 2023... weird we are both having issues with rabbit, and the same expiration date... I wonder if both companies are using the same processing plant?

From what I am seeing in the hockey puck cans; it seems that it is not mixed completely. If I mash it up, and add some water to it, the puck turns into the same consistency as the normal cans..
Weird...

I have 2 more cases of hockey pucks to go through; then, the normal batch with expiration dates of 2024..

All I can think of is these were the last batches before the shortages of rabbit, right after Covid...

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey Daftcat, did I read you have not one but two overnight cat feeders? Mine gets the pred hangries at midnight, 4AM and now recently about 6:30, which is like my prime REM sleep (or was!). Thinking about getting a second feeder, which sounds crazy. Do they come with more slots?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning is a disaster.

She wouldn’t eat Mouser. Oh. There’s a batch difference. Sure enough. 🤦🏼‍♂️ But she wouldn’t eat from the batch she previously enjoyed. I tried a different batch of Rawz. No go. Finally I reached for one of the precious few cans of the 2023. And she snubbed that too. At this point I was having a panic or anxiety attack. I decided to move both plates of Rawz and Mouser to her spot and let time and hunger hopefully sort this. I woke from third sleep to find the Rawz plate empty. I’ll leave the Mouser out to see if she gets hungry enough to try it again. I’m still panicked as we’re still going to run out of this batch. I think I’m going to have to starve her into a new batch tonight or tomorrow. Just leave the plate out and hope time and hunger make her less picky. Because if she won’t eat Mouser and she won’t eat a new batch of Rawz, we may have no choice but to go back to I/D. 🤦🏼‍♂️Maybe I’ll pick up the other flavors of Rawz and Mouser. If we have to go back to chicken, I’d rather go back to a higher quality recipe.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey Daftcat, did I read you have not one but two overnight cat feeders? Mine gets the pred hangries at midnight, 4AM and now recently about 6:30, which is like my prime REM sleep (or was!). Thinking about getting a second feeder, which sounds crazy. Do they come with more slots?
I buy the individual clamshells. The ones I have are no longer sold. But they are similar to these. I have four of them. But I usually only use one. I have used more with Krista who also got pred hangries. What I like about these clamshells is that you can set each to a different interval and once they open they are open. There is no rotating uneaten portions back inside the wheel.

PAWISE Automatic Pet Feeder for Dogs and Cats, 1.5 Cup Food Dispenser Feeder with 48-Hour Timer - Single https://a.co/d/cSBXHG5

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning is a disaster.

She wouldn’t eat Mouser. Oh. There’s a batch difference. Sure enough. 🤦🏼‍♂️ But she wouldn’t eat from the batch she previously enjoyed. I tried a different batch of Rawz. No go. Finally I reached for one of the precious few cans of the 2023. And she snubbed that too. At this point I was having a panic or anxiety attack. I decided to move both plates of Rawz and Mouser to her spot and let time and hunger hopefully sort this. I woke from third sleep to find the Rawz plate empty. I’ll leave the Mouser out to see if she gets hungry enough to try it again. I’m still panicked as we’re still going to run out of this batch. I think I’m going to have to starve her into a new batch tonight or tomorrow. Just leave the plate out and hope time and hunger make her less picky. Because if she won’t eat Mouser and she won’t eat a new batch of Rawz, we may have no choice but to go back to I/D. 🤦🏼‍♂️Maybe I’ll pick up the other flavors of Rawz and Mouser. If we have to go back to chicken, I’d rather go back to a higher quality recipe.
I'd be feeling the same way; but just remember, cats are grazers, not snorkers, most of the time. Don't give up. Leave one or two choices down and tough it out. Odds are Betty will pick one, or maybe both, when she's ready. Obviously, I'm not talking about days, just hours. Try not to stress unduly. Go have a taproom interlude. Do some errands. Something. You'll likely be pleasantly surprised when you check in/return.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd be feeling the same way; but just remember, cats are grazers, not snorkers, most of the time. Don't give up. Leave one or two choices down and tough it out. Odds are Betty will pick one, or maybe both, when she's ready. Obviously, I'm not talking about days, just hours. Try not to stress unduly. Go have a taproom interlude. Do some errands. Something. You'll likely be pleasantly surprised when you check in/return.
Fortunately she finished the Rawz plate. But that’s from the batch we’ll never see again. I’m leaving the Mouser out this morning. We’ll do this again perhaps tonight except with a recent batch of Rawz.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fortunately she finished the Rawz plate. But that’s from the batch we’ll never see again. I’m leaving the Mouser out this morning. We’ll do this again perhaps tonight except with a recent batch of Rawz.
Excellent!
Good luck on the Mouser success.
Would mixing something she likes with something she's leaving, like you have before but with these foods, be a possibility?