Introducing a semi-feral to my other semi-feral now house cats

jeanw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been caring for a large feral colony (about 40 cats) for years now. In the last 2 or 3 years I've gotten much more involved with the cats and they've basically become my pets and I feed them like my house cats but only once a day. The colony I care for is 7 miles from home. I've taken in about 16 of them and had them fixed and vetted and they are now house cats. I want to take more in but have a very small place and am just way over capacity. It's also becoming very expensive.

Usually, after a brief or longer stay at the vet, they come home to my house and stay in an open side crate for about a week so they can "meet" the others and see how things work. Then I let them out with the others. Mostly they seem to get along well. The latest cat is named Buddy and is a large gray cat. He's been fixed as have the others.

When I let Buddy out of the crate and left the house to go to work I came home and found that he and one of my other large male cats had had a fight and both had ear injuries. This hasn't happened before in the house once they're fixed. Some fights yes but small squabbles. Buddy went back in the crate. He's now tired of it and so am I.

Do I just let him out and let the cats figure it out? That's what I've done in the past and it's mostly been okay. But Buddy is now the largest cat. I'm gone from home a lot due to work and other life things. But I will be home more over the next few days. I can't afford any injuries that require going to the vet. Have spent $$$$$$ at the vet this year.

How do I handle this? Suggestions? I wish I had something to make Buddy feel zen and not want to fight. Will welcome any advice or suggestions.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How long after fixing are they? They should be doen at least a full month, to be fairly sure most of the excess of testosterone had aired off...

A friendly tom may usually be let together, they know how to cooperate... but a dominant / territorial tom takes his time... He may be friendly with you, but you dont have any quarantees he will be friendly with your residents....
Perhaps you could try with some friendly female?

Anyway, if you do afford, Feliway, or even better its variation for mulitcat households Felifriend, may be worth to test. It isnt cheap but cheaper than a vet visit.

Otherways, try with some calm music on. Classical harp music is best thay say, but almost any relaxing, clam music is worth to test.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jeanw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you StefanZ StefanZ ! Both of the male cats are well past a month after fixing - they are 6 months and more.

I have no way to introduce Buddy to one of the female cats and not all of the others due to my small place. I think Felifriend may help and I will get some tomorrow. Yes, much cheaper than a vet visit. Plus it really stresses my other cats out when they fight.

It's getting to the point where I really have to let Buddy out soon.

Thanks for your help. Happy Holidays!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jeanw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately this ended tragically. Everyone please do your own research.

I normally avoid plug-ins and have previously not used Feliway for that reason. This time I decided I needed it enough that it would be okay. It was a huge mistake and I don't know if I can ever forgive myself.

On Christmas Eve I plugged Feliway in and Buddy was not that far away - several arms lengths maybe. Within 18 hours he was having a catastrophic health emergency - we're not sure what - and he died a few hours later.

It was a traumatic and devastating event and I am heartbroken. I had no thought or expectation that Buddy would die. And he suffered because we have no emergency care in this area - the closest is several hours away. He had a horrible dying experience and he passed on the way to the vet ER. I was unable to have a necropsy done because it was the holiday week.

I threw the Feliway away before leaving for the emergency vet since I feared some of my other cats would die also. And I will never use it again ever.

I am devastated and trying to learn to live with this pain.

Please use caution.