Introducing A Second Cat At An Older Age

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm unable to get a second cat at this time. Right now I make certain Elf gets plenty of mental and physical stimulation, being an only cat, but I do wish to eventually get her a buddy!

By the time I'll be able to get a second cat, she will be around 4-5 years old, and I'm worried that is too late. I do go on leashed walks with her every day and she seems to do very well with the outdoor cats (very funny to see two cats awkwardly interact, I must look like such a crazy catlady to passerby's) so I do think she has the ability to, at least right now.

I do recognise that a lot depends on how the two are introduced, matching personalities etc. I wanna hear experiences though!

Do cats who have lived alone until well into adulthood adapt to living with other cats? Do they become buddies? Play with eachother? Groom eachother? Or, at best, just tolerate eachother? Would love to read some personal expierences.

sparrowhawk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know you've probably read this a lot...but it really does depend on the cat!

Some tips though:
  • Get a male. If there are only two cats, opposite genders tend to do better.
  • Get a grown cat whose personality is established and is known to not be dominant or aggressive - this has multiple benefits
    • Kittens REQUIRE a lot of attention, and you need to keep giving your first cat the same attention (or close to it) as you currently do.
    • As stated, grown cats' personalities are already known, and you want one that is laid back, ESPECIALLY if yours has a strong, demanding personality.
  • Study the introduction guides find throughout the forums here.
None of this guarantees they will become friends vs tolerate (or even hate) each other, but it does increase the odds.

Finally, and this is totally your call, do you want a second cat because you like cats or are you really getting a second cat for the companionship of your current cat?

I don't know your situation (and you don't have to explain it), but it sounds like you are interacting with your cat a LOT - so I'm guessing you are home a lot of the time. If you are home a lot, your cat probably doesn't NEED a second cat to live a happy life. Obviously we have bred cats to be at least somewhat sociable, but you have to remember that most cat species (including the African Wildcat that our domestic friends descended from) are SOLITARY animals except to mate (and to rear young for the females). Probably one of the biggest benefits for having multiple cats in a house is to keep them from getting bored - I've had outdoor cats, including solitary ones, and they seem quite content. But my indoor cats I think get bored when nobody is home. So, if you are home a lot, your cat probably gets enough social interaction and play time to be happy. If you are gone a lot, then yes I would encourage a second cat :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to agree with the above. It depends on how much time you spend with your cat, your cat's personality, and the money you have to spend. I got two cats at the same time because I knew I wasn't home as much I'd like to be for them and I'm extremely paranoid about my animals being bored. However, cats can live quite happily alone. Especially if you're there alone. So if you have the time to properly entertain your cat, then I'd say four or five years is a bit too old to be bothering with getting another. But if you feel your cat is bored or would benefit from having a companion, then sure, go for it. Just make sure you have the money to afford it. It's going to be twice the food, twice the litter, twice everything. The worst circumstances (that's likely to happen) is that you have two cats who only tolerate each other. Not the worst situation to be in, in my opinion, but I love cats and think four is the perfect number.

I would recommend an older cat too. Around the same age. It could make introductions a bit more stressful due to both have territorial instincts and neither having a kitten's ability to adjust, but they would have similar energy levels. A kitten is likely to get on an adult cat's nerves. I have no idea about the differences of getting a male or female since I got two males (accidentally) and then ended up with a female(again, accidentally), but I could see how getting the opposite sex would make sense. Even fixed, there could be territorial problems between two of the same sex. It was never as issue with me, but I could see it happening.

Now, I have some experience. My boys were about three years old when I got my female so not quite as old, but close. My boys are very laid back cats. We got them for this very trait. We ended up with a pregnant female cat and kept one of her kittens, Ember. Even with their calm and friendly temperments, there was some growling and nervousness. However, now, three years later, they all get along fine. They might not be the best of friends, but Frost (the friendliest) plays with Ember and Ash (more isolated) will tolerate her cuddling. I've even caught Ash grooming her once or twice. Our only problems are from Ember herself who is very skittish and easily spooked. I can't guarantee you'll have the same success, but I think it's highly possible. Particularly if your resident cat is at all like the boys (especially Frost) with their calm and laid back personalities. Her interactions with outdoor cats, I believe, could be of great help with this as she's already used to meeting other cats.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to cover everything as well as share my own bit of experience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
but it sounds like you are interacting with your cat a LOT - so I'm guessing you are home a lot of the time.
I am and I do try to keep her busy! Because:

I'm extremely paranoid about my animals being bored.
So I would more so do it for her to get a companion. I love cats though and wouldn't mind another cat, but not at cost of her. I want it to benefit her and enrich her environment when I am gone. Right now I can be home a lot, but in the future I see myself being gone more.

Which is the reason I'm already thinking about getting a second cat, for her more so than for me. I can't right now because the person I'm living with really does not want another cat in the home and I have to respect that. Right now I'm home a lot but I can see that changing in the future. If it was just me I'd go for it right now as she's still a young cat. I do plan on adopting or preferably rehoming. I do want a cat that is around the same age as her, has a similar personality etc. And is also used to being inside.

Great tips, thank you! It really helped reading about your boys and your girl. My girl is very confident and laid back, and isn't scared of other cats at all. But that's outside. I would love to make it work though, I don't like the idea of her being alone the majority of the day.

I do wish I could find more stories or anecdotes from people who adopted a second cat with their first cat being older. It does seem MOST people get their cats as pairs. Which would have been a great idea, and something I probably would have done if I'd had more expierence with cats prior to her.

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat was a year + old when I got her a 'brother'. They do play together, but not always nicely, and they never set down to sleep closer than 2-3 feet apart. We probably did rush the meeting process, in hindsight. I will link the thread where I kept up with it all at the bottom of this post. There's also a post in there about a slightly different scenario which lead to a happy ending.

The Happy ending is something you may have to compromise on if you want to own more than one cat. Cats often don't snuggle together, more realisticaly they will play with one another and tolerate the presence of another cat. You may need to evaluate what you want to achieve by having a second cat and take the time to properly associate the cats with one another. This doesn't mean that you have to adopt a cat outright and then wait to see if they get on, if your cat is very laid back you could consider a foster situation to try other cats with her until you find the right suited cat. If this is the case you will need to make that intention clear to the shelter you work with. Otherwise it can be more stressful for everyone and every cat involved.

Can my cat and my kitten still benefit from a slow introduction if I free feed?

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's great that you want to do this for your cat and you're so worried about her, but I guarantee you she can be happy alone. In fact, I have three cats and they spend half the day in three separate rooms(or at least several feet apart). The boys are close, but their relationship is subtle. They don't cuddle, they don't play constantly, they don't groom each other all that often. But they do like each other. The female is more of a people-cat and would do perfectly fine on her own. I even considered that she might be better off in a home with no other animals. Now, I'm not trying to talk you out of getting another cat, but I do want you to realize that, despite my own beliefs of trying to keep animals in pairs, she can be perfectly fine as an only cat. Especially as she ages and gets more and more used to being an only cat.

I also think you should step back and ask yourself: Do you want another cat? Because, while I am almost positive you can add a cat and still have peace, I can't guarantee how much your resident cat will actually benefit from it. It really depends on her and the other cat. And adding another cat to the household is a big commitment, financially, physically, and emotionally. There will probably be a lot of stress for (at minimum) the first few months and during any problems that come up later on. So if your resident cat does not become friends with the new one, what are you going to do? It's not the same as buying a toy that your cat doesn't like. You still have a commitment, a responsibility to care for this cat. If you're okay with this outcome, then I'd say go for it. You have little to lose other than a few months or so of peace. However, if you simply want some entertainment for your resident cat and aren't going to want the second cat if it doesn't turn out that way, then I would have to recommend not getting the cat. Maybe try some treat puzzles and dispensers instead. They're cheaper and don't come with the added responsibility.

However, if you're perfectly fine with the added responsibility whether the two become friends or not, I think your cat's personality is very promising. Confidence will help lower her need to defend and a laidback personality is also a bonus. It helped me a ton with introducing our third cat as well as the dog. There was at least one cat we didn't have to worry about.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMHO never get a second cat so the first won't be bored. Firstly, because there is always a chance that they won't get along no matter how many of the above tips you follow and this has the potential to greatly stress the first cat (and you!). Secondly, even if they do get along to a reasonable degree, you may notice changes in behavior that you don't like. For example, a cat with a playmate may become much less affectionate because the people are now a backup option (happened to us). Thirdly, I think toleration is a lot more common than friendship, and the chances that the first cat will actually benefit from the new cat are slim. If YOU want a second cat, then follow all the above posters tips. If YOU are neutral, don't get a second cat just because you imagine the first cat will benefit.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is quite a lot to consider, and I think I should keep the things you all mentioned in mind when I make the decision. I haven't seen any fostering type programs where I live so I'm not sure if that's an option, but yeah it would be ideal if I could get a cat that can go back if it doesn't work out. As I said, I love cats and I wouldn't mind a second one - but not at cost of Elf. I can afford it but I would have to wait until I am also emotionally ready for that, but if it benefits her I would do it. If it doesn't benefit her, I wouldn't.

Perhaps I just have to wait out and see if it's really necessary, then. I have her on a schedule where she gets her leashed outside time, her playtime and food all at night, so it's something I can keep up pretty much forever.

However if I ever come into the position where I am gone from 9-5, don't you guys think it's the better option for her? (Let's say best case scenario they just tolerate eachother) Is that better than a very sensory deprived environment? No other humans, no other cats. Just waiting for me all day to come home. I don't know what's the better option here.

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are many other options you can use to keep your cat entertained whilst you are out. She could benefit from an indoor garden where you bring in a few cat safe plants from outside. Mint family plants that are close to cat nip are safe favourites. Keep in mind though that lots of cats like to dig in these containers, so it would need to be in an easy area to clean or in a container that doesn't allow the cat to reach the soil. Some smelly herbs also work well. If you have a garden area you can put up a bird feeder in a spot where she can see it out of the window and watch them play and eat. Cats also tune into your routine fairly well and she may just sleep when you are out anyway. Timed feeders can help, the meal is released at a certain time during the day or puzzle feeders can be utilised whilst you are gone to provide entertainment. The treats are tricky to get out and she will have to use her brain and be determined to get them.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As Kissthisangel said, your cat will adapt to your routine and sleep during the day, and be up when you are around. While people imagine that their cats get bored, I think it is mostly (but not entirely) just that, imagination. For the most part, cats adapt to the situation. As long as you play with the cat a good bit when you are home, most cats will be reasonably content. If you want to see a *truly* bored cat, allow a cat to go outside for a few months, adapt to that, and take that away. Then you will know the joys of a restlessly bored cat. Back on topic, cats that merely tolerate each other do not necessarily provide any positive value to each other. So IMHO, getting another cat for the sake of the existing cat just isn't a (positive) consideration to me. When they don't get along, it stresses the whole house.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well you guys have certainly made me think about whether or not I want another cat in my life, opposed to where I was only thinking about whether it would be beneficial to Elfie. I have to want it as well, and I have to want to open my heart to give another cat a forever home.

If I do decide to bring a cat into our lives I'll make sure to do my research, to be prepared for all the downsides, and to do it for the sake of all 3 lives involved. I don't know if that day will ever come, but I think I have a much healthier outlook now, so thank you!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No problem! It is definitely a little counter-intuitive. Just to give you a real world example, we once had two cats that grew up together and liked each other. When they were kittens, Smoky used to cry if Bandit could not be found. Anyway, when Smoky died, the only visible change in Bandit was that Bandit became more affectionate. By a lot. Great, right? But being rookie owners at the time, we imagined that this was a symptom of loneliness and adopted two kittens to be his new friends. Bandit's increased affection immediately went away (we were sad). One of the kittens was docile, and Bandit and that one always got along fine. The other kitten was very active and liked to try and get Bandit to play in a totally good natured way, which Bandit tolerated when the active kitten was young. When the active kitten got bigger Bandit became fearful of him for no good reason. As Bandit started to hiss and growl when bothered, the good natured active youngster reacted to Bandit's noises with genuine aggression, and things spiralled out of control. Bandit was bitten twice and developed abscesses that needed to be drained by the vet. While actual bite injuries are quite rare even when cats are having true problems, it was a horrible experience that we just couldn't seem to fix. Well, that is why this is kind of a soap-box issue for me, and I recommend only adopting another adult cat when your original cat is a bit older and less active and making sure it is a match in temperment. Anyway, good luck!

Last edited: